Ricky Town to Arky

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing I worry about us getting Town is how it will impact Allen going forward. With the amount of positive recruiting Allen is doing on our behalf with the other top tier players in Florida who want to play with him, just like Tebow and Spikes, it makes me wonder if Town is worth it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Delg8tor;n262625 said:
The only thing I worry about us getting Town is how it will impact Allen going forward. With the amount of positive recruiting Allen is doing on our behalf with the other top tier players in Florida who want to play with him, just like Tebow and Spikes, it makes me wonder if Town is worth it.

Agree. I've talked about this in some of the threads about not landing an elite QB this class. At some point, you have to look at roster management and keeping a good cycle of QBs. We have two young QB's already, a transfer, and a 2016 commit. I think adding another player that potentially clogs things up that much more could possibly be a mistake. And while it may be harsh, I tend to consider transfers that leave without any real reason to be somewhat damaged goods. I certainly don't want that to interfere with landing a kid that wants to be a Gator and is actively recruiting for our future.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Delg8tor;n262615 said:
I think he is Mike Winter who has nothing but negative comments at the bottom of stories on gatorsports.com. His one post is almost, if not exactly, verbatim the same as a mike winter post on the Ricky town article over there.

If that is the case please ban him immediately. We already have too many illogical posters that hate the Gators here.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
rogdochar;n262604 said:
We had a 6'6" Provancha who should have been able to fire sizzling passes to off-season WRs. ??
Might have risked his clipboard hand and lost his scholly. Not worth it for him.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n262696 said:
Agree. I've talked about this in some of the threads about not landing an elite QB this class. At some point, you have to look at roster management and keeping a good cycle of QBs. We have two young QB's already, a transfer, and a 2016 commit. I think adding another player that potentially clogs things up that much more could possibly be a mistake. And while it may be harsh, I tend to consider transfers that leave without any real reason to be somewhat damaged goods. I certainly don't want that to interfere with landing a kid that wants to be a Gator and is actively recruiting for our future.
Dude are you seriously implying it could be a mistake to take a 5star qb just so we can keep a highschool back up in this class and a kid who hasn't even started his junior year of highschool yet? The allen kid will be 2 years behind town. I would also imagine the starting qb at st Thomas Aquinas is not going to sweating a bum like trask. When the loser of the grier/harris battle transfers it would a very good situation to have a red shirt freshman like town as a back up next year. You gotta sign more than one decent qb every 4 years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
t-gator;n262769 said:
Dude are you seriously implying it could be a mistake to take a 5star qb just so we can keep a highschool back up in this class and a kid who hasn't even started his junior year of highschool yet? The allen kid will be 2 years behind town. I would also imagine the starting qb at st Thomas Aquinas is not going to sweating a bum like trask. When the loser of the grier/harris battle transfers it would a very good situation to have a red shirt freshman like town as a back up next year. You gotta sign more than one decent qb every 4 years.

A 5*QB in 2015's class, that wanted to be a Gator all along and rallied troops around him? No. I would gladly take that and roll the dice on prospects going forward. But as I said in my post, these kids that just quit and decide they want something different, a few months into their enrollment--without special circumstances--tend to be somewhat damaged goods. You're also completely overlooking the fact that USC is essentially the home team for him, and we'd be across the country, which could very well lead to homesick problems. In short, it's a reactionary move, and I'm not a big fan of that.

To your question on the 2* kid, no it's not about him. Though I think it's unlikely that the staff takes him if they truly feel that he is merely a 2* kid and doesn't improve his stock in his Sr year. But again, my concern is about Allen, not Task. With the sit out year, Towns is basically the same year as him. While you're correct about landing a great QB more often than every 4 years, that's an ideal situation. UF simply isn't that right now. A lot of these kids the past 2 classes, and probably for the next few as well, are being sold on playing time and being a center piece of the Gators' resurgence. When we are rolling again, sure, kids will come here knowing they have to wait their turn. Right now, we aren't that school. I've stated before that landing Brissett hurt us in that is clogged the QB position up(even if only by perception) and prevented us from getting a good 2012 QB, which would've been ideal.

You're also sold on a transfer by one of the QBs, and you could be right. I'm not convinced we see that. I think we have solid QB play for the next 3 years from one or both of the current guys. Add in some fillers, a 2016 commit, and a 2017 highly touted commit and I think we are in decent shape. But if you are convinced that one will go, that's all the more reason to create some separation through recruiting.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n262934 said:
A 5*QB in 2015's class, that wanted to be a Gator all along and rallied troops around him? No. I would gladly take that and roll the dice on prospects going forward. But as I said in my post, these kids that just quit and decide they want something different, a few months into their enrollment--without special circumstances--tend to be somewhat damaged goods. You're also completely overlooking the fact that USC is essentially the home team for him, and we'd be across the country, which could very well lead to homesick problems. In short, it's a reactionary move, and I'm not a big fan of that.

To your question on the 2* kid, no it's not about him. Though I think it's unlikely that the staff takes him if they truly feel that he is merely a 2* kid and doesn't improve his stock in his Sr year. But again, my concern is about Allen, not Task. With the sit out year, Towns is basically the same year as him. While you're correct about landing a great QB more often than every 4 years, that's an ideal situation. UF simply isn't that right now. A lot of these kids the past 2 classes, and probably for the next few as well, are being sold on playing time and being a center piece of the Gators' resurgence. When we are rolling again, sure, kids will come here knowing they have to wait their turn. Right now, we aren't that school. I've stated before that landing Brissett hurt us in that is clogged the QB position up(even if only by perception) and prevented us from getting a good 2012 QB, which would've been ideal.

You're also sold on a transfer by one of the QBs, and you could be right. I'm not convinced we see that. I think we have solid QB play for the next 3 years from one or both of the current guys. Add in some fillers, a 2016 commit, and a 2017 highly touted commit and I think we are in decent shape. But if you are convinced that one will go, that's all the more reason to create some separation through recruiting.

We have zero proven QBs right now and really only 2 to chose from. That, my friend, is just patently absurd for a supposedly elite football program. We need a GOOD one in every class for the competition and potential injury or early exit to the draft. Most all are not ready for the SEC until they have been in the program for 2 years.

Heaven help us if Grier and Harris both miss games this year.

Fillers are a big waste of time.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
LagoonGator68;n262942 said:
We have zero proven QBs right now and really only 2 to chose from. That, my friend, is just patently absurd for a supposedly elite football program. We need a GOOD one in every class for the competition and potential injury or early exit to the draft. Most all are not ready for the SEC until they have been in the program for 2 years.

Heaven help us if Grier and Harris both miss games this year.

Fillers are a big waste of time.

Not denying that, nor am I denying that our situation is anything other than absurd. But all we'd be adding is yet another unproven QB, and another one that can't help us a bit this year if Grier and Harris miss games. As I said in a post last week, the only thing that's going to fix some of these problems is time. Just reality.

If you remember when WM took over, he talked about having to reload the team, especially at positions like RB. So what did he do? He landed Jones and Davis within his first few months. Then, as the season progressed and Rainey and Demps continued to struggle with what he wanted to do, he decides to go all out for Keith Marshall, citing our RB cupboard as his reasons, which made no sense as none of the 3 could help any sooner. In short, he got emotional(sign of things to come with him) and made a bade decision. And we lost Davis in the process. You can't just load up on same year players and think that that solves the problem. It will only create more issues, imo. We should be landing a great QB every year. But I don't think you roll the dice on a California QB who'slooking for a fallback option, and potentially mess up things with a STA QB who's actively recruiting for us. That's my opinion.

Dec 10, 2014
Yankeetown;n262569 said:
When you have a really strong program, ideally sophomores and freshmen should almost never be serious candidates for starting jobs. The older guys ahead of them should be more experienced, bigger & stronger due to more time in the strength & nutrition program, and at least in a conversation as potential NFL players.

This just really isn't the case anymore. Stud players are starting early.

Dec 10, 2014
soflagator;n262949 said:
But all we'd be adding is yet another unproven QB, and another one that can't help us a bit this year if Grier and Harris miss games.

Every recruit is unproven. This guy's track record in high school is off the charts. We didn't sign any QB last year. We don't need a qb to help us this year. If Grier and Harris went down, we wouldn't be able to compensate whether this guy play or not. We need this guy to be able to go next year when the loser of Grier/Harris is gone, and we only have (potentially) Trask. Signing this guy is a no-brainer, homerun.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n262949 said:
Not denying that, nor am I denying that our situation is anything other than absurd. But all we'd be adding is yet another unproven QB, and another one that can't help us a bit this year if Grier and Harris miss games. As I said in a post last week, the only thing that's going to fix some of these problems is time. Just reality.

If you remember when WM took over, he talked about having to reload the team, especially at positions like RB. So what did he do? He landed Jones and Davis within his first few months. Then, as the season progressed and Rainey and Demps continued to struggle with what he wanted to do, he decides to go all out for Keith Marshall, citing our RB cupboard as his reasons, which made no sense as none of the 3 could help any sooner. In short, he got emotional(sign of things to come with him) and made a bade decision. And we lost Davis in the process. You can't just load up on same year players and think that that solves the problem. It will only create more issues, imo. We should be landing a great QB every year. But I don't think you roll the dice on a California QB who'slooking for a fallback option, and potentially mess up things with a STA QB who's actively recruiting for us. That's my opinion.

You simply don't pass on a consensus 4* QB with our situation right now. It would be foolish IMO.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n262949 said:

I like your posts, but I just think you are wrong on this. We can't afford to sit on what we have while waiting on 2017 Allen from sta. Towns is a 2015 guy which is not essentially the same class as Allen. It is 2 years removed as Allen may take a redshirt also. I agree that Towns may be too quick to transfer, but we have nothing for the 2015 class now as it stands. Towns coming in now should have zero effect on Allen's desire to be a Gator and if it does, it raises it's own red flag.

Towns may not even want to come here.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
LagoonGator68;n262983 said:
I like your posts, but I just think you are wrong on this. We can't afford to sit on what we have while waiting on 2017 Allen from sta. Towns is a 2015 guy which is not essentially the same class as Allen. It is 2 years removed as Allen may take a redshirt also. I agree that Towns may be too quick to transfer, but we have nothing for the 2015 class now as it stands. Towns coming in now should have zero effect on Allen's desire to be a Gator and if it does, it raises it's own red flag.

Towns may not even want to come here.

I'm clearly in the minority here, and have been wrong before, so who knows. There's just something about this story that I don't like.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n262992 said:
There's just something about this story that I don't like.

I feel like we could use another QB, but also kind of agree with you on this. There's something weird about this sudden transfer.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBenji;263012 said:
So has there been any reported linkage or most of it is hearsay or speculation?

I saw, on some site, that it was between UF and arky.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n263005 said:
I feel like we could use another QB, but also kind of agree with you on this. There's something weird about this sudden transfer.

Word is he simply couldn't get past the stink Kiffin left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator