RIP Franco Harris

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I had no idea until reading about him just this moment that he ended his career with the Seahawks in 1984.

He was gunning for the career rushing record which was then held by Jim Brown. As Franco approached the record, Brown poor-mouthed him for occasionally running out of bounds. It soon became evident that Franco wasn't going to break the record and it would be Walter Payton instead. Jim Brown didn't have anything bad to say about Walter Payton.

None of that matters now though.

iu

Alex.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yeah.....but did you go all....
Excited Chris Farley GIF

When you met him to?

Didn't meet Franco but my brother did (said he was an ass...) , but I did meet Bradshaw in the Tampa airport about 15 years ago.
Sunday morning - just he and I and his daughters in the Delta Medallion line. His daughters went off to get something to eat and I started up a conversation. He looked like absolute death (massive hangover - or... may have still been inebriated from the night before).
But... very nice and chatty given the circumstances.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
What, all this time, you thought that was a catch?

Sorry to belabor the point here, but...

If I recall correctly, the contention as to whether or not it was a catch was not if Franco dug it out of the turf, but... (this is where it gets fuzzy) that back in the day if the pass deflected off of an offensive player, another offensive player was NOT allowed to catch it unless it was touched in between by a defensive player. I want to say Frenchy Fuqua was the intended receiver, but a Raider seemed to hit the ball backwards towards Franco. It was a bang/bang type of play and without the aid of instant reply available to the refs, they just called it a TD.

My usual waiver... I could be wrong about this

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Did not grow up near a city with an NFL team, but was a big Steeelrs fan, probably b/c they were winning in my yute, and share similar colors to my local school. Anyway, I think the only NFL jersey I ever purchased was a Steelers #32. RIP Franco.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He was gunning for the career rushing record which was then held by Jim Brown. As Franco approached the record, Brown poor-mouthed him for occasionally running out of bounds. It soon became evident that Franco wasn't going to break the record and it would be Walter Payton instead. Jim Brown didn't have anything bad to say about Walter Payton.

None of that matters now though.

iu

Alex.

Emmitt will always be a Cardinal. Royalty there really.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry to belabor the point here, but...

If I recall correctly, the contention as to whether or not it was a catch was not if Franco dug it out of the turf, but... (this is where it gets fuzzy) that back in the day if the pass deflected off of an offensive player, another offensive player was NOT allowed to catch it unless it was touched in between by a defensive player. I want to say Frenchy Fuqua was the intended receiver, but a Raider seemed to hit the ball backwards towards Franco. It was a bang/bang type of play and without the aid of instant reply available to the refs, they just called it a TD.

My usual waiver... I could be wrong about this

You're correct.

The ball did not hit the turf. He caught it in the air. The two issues were illegal touching and an improvised (and illegal) instant replay review that may have been influenced by a potential riot.

Those were always John Madden's complaints about the play.

First, did the ball come off of Jack Tatum or Frenchy Fuqua? For it to be legal, the ball would have to have caromed off of Tatum. Madden argued that Tatum didn't hit the ball. He hit Fuqua and that caused the ball to shoot back towards the LOS where Franco was lollygagging around, not blocking anybody.

Then, the ref went into the dugout and had a brief phone conversation before making the call. The theory is that he called the press box for some pre-instant replay rule instant replay. Madden thought the riled up home crowd had something to do with it. Steelers were terrible forever and this was the first playoff game in Three Rivers Stadium. They stormed the field after the game which is not common in the NFL. There was a real chance of a riot if the call was illegal touching instead of TD. Madden said if the game was in Oakland, the call could have gone the other way.

Alex.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
You're correct.

The ball did not hit the turf. He caught it in the air. The two issues were illegal touching and an improvised (and illegal) instant replay review that may have been influenced by a potential riot.

Those were always John Madden's complaints about the play.

First, did the ball come off of Jack Tatum or Frenchy Fuqua? For it to be legal, the ball would have to have caromed off of Tatum. Madden argued that Tatum didn't hit the ball. He hit Fuqua and that caused the ball to shoot back towards the LOS where Franco was lollygagging around, not blocking anybody.

Then, the ref went into the dugout and had a brief phone conversation before making the call. The theory is that he called the press box for some pre-instant replay rule instant replay. Madden thought the riled up home crowd had something to do with it. Steelers were terrible forever and this was the first playoff game in Three Rivers Stadium. They stormed the field after the game which is not common in the NFL. There was a real chance of a riot if the call was illegal touching instead of TD. Madden said if the game was in Oakland, the call could have gone the other way.

Alex.

wow... best recollection I've ever heard about that play.

And the main takeaway is ... Tatum had to be one of the dirtiest players in all of the NFL.
I think between he and Belintikoff, those two alone kept the Stick'em company in business.
The moral is... it's a blessed day anytime the Raiders lose.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And Jethro Pugh dragging Harris away after the slam. Great name Jethro Pugh.
A lot of great football players on the field that day. Two great defenses with great monickers. The “Doomsday Defense” and the “Steel Curtain.”

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Blew my mind when I saw this the first time flying into Pittsburgh. It is very cool, and vintage Steelers.
Flew there in September - first time at that airport - and chuckled when I saw the statue. Prolly not a good time to bring up how he would often run out of bounds to avoid contact….

RIP Franco.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
One other thing I didn't know (and as a lifelong Steelers fan I'm semi-ashamed to admit this) -
The Steeler organization has only officially retired two jersey numbers since their inception in 1933:
1. #70 - DT Ernie Stautner
2. #75 - DT Joe Greene

That's it... I was surprised that as of today, those are the only two.
And given their offensive representation in the HOF, not one offensive jersey had been retired as of 12/21/22.
Franco's #32 will be the first offensive jersey to be retired this Saturday.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Just incredible the way his Steelers career ended:

"Despite all of his success, his time in Pittsburgh ended acrimoniously when the Steelers cut him after he held out during training camp before the 1984 season. Noll, who leaned on Harris so heavily for so long, famously answered “Franco who?” when asked about Harris’ absence from the team’s camp."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Someone gave a dislike to a death OP? Tough crowd. :lol:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
The television footage confirms that the ball didn't touch the ground, but it also confirms that Tatum never touched the ball.

Interesting aside--the Steelers' team photographer's life was saved by this play. He was a personal friend of Roberto Clemente who would have accompanied him on his ill-fated mercy mission had the Steelers lost the game.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
The thing I remember best about Franco was how he was money in the bank on third and short situations. You couldn't stand him up or push him back. He always at least fell forward for a couple of yards.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The television footage confirms that the ball didn't touch the ground, but it also confirms that Tatum never touched the ball.

Interesting aside--the Steelers' team photographer's life was saved by this play. He was a personal friend of Roberto Clemente who would have accompanied him on his ill-fated mercy mission had the Steelers lost the game.
I’ve seen footage confirming the ball never touched the turf but I haven’t seen any clearly showing whether the ball came off Tatum or Fuqua. Do you have a link to the definitive footage?

Alex.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve seen footage confirming the ball never touched the turf but I haven’t seen any clearly showing whether the ball came off Tatum or Fuqua. Do you have a link to the definitive footage?

Alex.

The ball went over Fuqua's head and off the shoulder pads of the oncoming Tatum, who was closing in fast from his strong safety position. Tatum hit Fuqua so hard he just assumed the play to be dead.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The ball went over Fuqua's head and off the shoulder pads of the oncoming Tatum, who was closing in fast from his strong safety position. Tatum hit Fuqua so hard he just assumed the play to be dead.
Based on the velocity and direction of the carom, I agree this is the most likely scenario, I’ve just never seen definitive video confirmation.

Alex.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Based on the velocity and direction of the carom, I agree this is the most likely scenario, I’ve just never seen definitive video confirmation.

Alex.

I couldn't either. I found it surprising. It seems pretty clear Tatum made a violent hit on Fuqua and the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator