RIP Mike Leach - dead at 61

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let's keep any possible political opinions on the vaccine out of this for the moment. We have no idea what the cause is and may never know.

As someone who always liked Mike Leach and thought he was terrific for college football, this would be a big loss. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. I hope like hell he recovers.
“According to multiple sources, Leach, 61, collapsed at his home in Starkville, but did not receive medical attention for between 10 to 15 minutes. EMTs used a defibrillator machine and delivered multiple shocks to restore normal heart rhythm.

After he was stabilized at Oktibbeha County Hospital, he was transported by helicopter to UMMC.

Sources said two of four his children are already in Jackson with the other two en route.

It appears, according to sources, that Leach may have suffered seizures with the possibility of brain damage. Sources said the situation is dire.”

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Let's keep any possible political opinions on the vaccine out of this for the moment. We have no idea what the cause is and may never know.

As someone who always liked Mike Leach and thought he was terrific for college football, this would be a big loss. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. I hope like hell he recovers.
If only to hear a team physician say “cautiously optimistic”.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Man, this is bad. I've always liked Leach as a coach. Whatever you think of his style, you have to admit he's never boring.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Sad...to say the least.

He's one of only a handful of coaches that shoot from the hip and it's usually pretty damn straight, like it or not.
Not to mention ..he has never coddled any of the players.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I personally think the "fat little girlfriends" line he had all those years ago is the greatest sound bite in the history of college football.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In a sea of vanilla coaches with zero personality, Leach is the only coach that’s worthy of a microphone in the postgame.
I pray for his full recovery, America needs Mike Leach.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I personally think the "fat little girlfriends" line he had all those years ago is the greatest sound bite in the history of college football.

Agreed

That comment made him a lot of lifetime enemies, like Fat Dooley, which endeared him to me even more.
He’s the antithesis of today’s politically correct bunch of mush mouth coaches. He is the 21st Century Spurrier.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
In a sea of vanilla coaches with zero personality, Leach is the only coach that’s worthy of a microphone in the postgame.
I pray for his full recovery, America needs Mike Leach.

While no one can duplicate SOS (despite pitiful efforts by the likes of kiffy), Leach is the closest anybody gets to being as entertaining as the HBC in front of the mic.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Prayers for him and the family. It does NOT sound good. With HIPPA we won't hear much.

He always brought color to the interviews and excitement to the offense.

Just a thought, during this Christmas Season reflect on your TRUE gifts.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does sound dire. Had a friend in Atlanta a week ago suffer a massive HA while hiking. It was several minutes before help arrived and they were fearful he wouldn’t make it or if he did there would be brain damage from O2 deprivation. He regained consciousness and is gradually improving, though not out of the woods yet. Cannot recall the HA, but recognizes family and can speak to them. Hoping at least the same for Coach Leach.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
HIIPA is the reason they're being so cryptic. Getting consent from his family to broadcast his condition might take awhile.

I more than get that. When was the last time someone was admitted to a hospital for something other than a personal health issue? Strikes me as a bit Captain Obvious.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
will ferrell snl GIF

For you Mike!!

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Sad...to say the least.

He's one of only a handful of coaches that shoot from the hip and it's usually pretty damn straight, like it or not.
Not to mention ..he has never coddled any of the players.
As to personality and offensive philosophy he is the closest yet to SOS. I always enjoy watching a Mike Leach coached team play and normally love his pressers. I really hope this guy can recover.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The news of what happened is filtering out and it's not good. The Clarion Ledger reports Leach suffered a massive heart attack and that it was 10-15 minutes before EMTs were able to restore heart function. He apparently suffered multiple seizures, which leaves brain damage as a distinct possibility.

You can only go so long without oxygen to the brain before you are irreparably harmed or legally brain dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.