RIP Mike Leach - dead at 61

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I saw a tweet by the old K-State coach Snyder, that said he died. Haven’t seen it confirmed yet though.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I saw a tweet by the old K-State coach Snyder, that said he died. Haven’t seen it confirmed yet though.
Yeah. I don’t know why he’s tweeted that. There’s been no official news yet.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Man, so sad. Shock for the family and the university.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
this one?

OH MY GOSH. That was classisc. I would have loved to play for him. "last time I checked we paid the f-kin bills around here." Absolute HOF ass chewing there.

Not a good day and still praying for a Miracle for him. God please bless him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Twitter police are the worst. You think Snyder, who has a personal history with Leech, has any malice in posting that? Maybe he was given some bad info and obviously would take it down once that was discovered. But where are we at in life where accidentally tweeting a heartfelt tribute to someone is some horrific crime? And honestly, what does it matter? Are people really hinging their next decisions on Snyder’s updates, or will the tweet somehow impede Leech’s ability to come out of this? This Davis Hookstead sounds like a complete tool.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Twitter police are the worst. You think Snyder, who has a personal history with Leech, has any malice in posting that? Maybe he was given some bad info and obviously would take it down once that was discovered. But where are we at in life where accidentally tweeting a heartfelt tribute to someone is some horrific crime? And honestly, what does it matter? Are people really hinging their next decisions on Snyder’s updates, or will the tweet somehow impede Leech’s ability to come out of this? This Davis Hookstead sounds like a complete tool.
I think his point was that Snyder recognized his mistake but still left the first post up.

That said, looks like he deleted both of those posts now

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think his point was that Snyder recognized his mistake but still left the first post up.

That said, looks like he deleted both of those posts now

Snyder just celebrated his 113th birthday. Maybe we could let him slide on his technology gaffe. The point is one guy lost a former assistant and friend. The other guy’s scanning the web for people to correct. If this is really him, he should be arrested.

1670901155653.jpeg

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Snyder just celebrated his 113th birthday. Maybe we could let him slide on his technology gaffe. The point is one guy lost a former assistant and friend. The other guy’s scanning the web for people to correct. If this is really him, he should be arrested.

View attachment 52212
Can smell the soy from here. What a tool.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017

The untold story of Mike Leach's 'lost' OU play script that fooled Texas​

1532 days ago​

Jake Trotter​

ESPN.com​

Photo: Ryan Inzana
Few rivalries in sports fuel as much hostility and pressure to win like college football's annual Red River Showdown between Oklahoma and Texas.

And through the years, those monumental stakes have led to some serious skullduggery. The most notable example came in 1972, when the Sooners spied on Texas' practices, allowing them to block a quick kick the Longhorns had secretly been working on en route to a victory.

Now, thanks to Mike Leach, the 1999 game can officially be added to that same legacy.

During pregame warm-ups of that year's Red River Showdown, an underhanded script outlining OU's opening offensive plays was spotted on the field by one of Texas' student assistants, who scooped it up and took it to Longhorns defensive coordinator Carl Reese. To the heavily favored Longhorns, it seemed as if they'd caught an enormous break.

"We were trying to figure out if it was authentic," Reese said. "We were in this state of, 'Can we believe this?'"

They shouldn't have.

It was a fake, part of a plot hatched by Leach, the Sooners' offensive coordinator, and consulted by the Longhorns, who quickly fell behind 17-0 before realizing they'd been duped.

"That does sound like Mike," said former Texas coach Mack Brown, unaware of the script at the time. "I do know this: Offensive coordinators are so careful with those scripts they wouldn't be losing them. Those things are valuable. Only Mike would think to lay one out there as a decoy."

In his 2011 book "Swing Your Sword," Leach briefly mentioned the lark. But he never knew for sure just how seriously the Longhorns had taken it, how often they'd referenced it or just how effective it had been.

He was elated to learn recently that they had fallen for it so hard.

"These things evolve and become somewhat legendary," Leach said.

Leading up to the game, Leach didn't tell OU coach Bob Stoops he was planting it, and Reese didn't inform Brown he had it. As a result, few people on either side knew of the decoy script's existence. And yet, it nearly propelled the underdog Sooners, with Stoops in his first year and OU coming off a 5-6 season, to a victory.

"That game might've been the most bizarre experience I ever had as a college football player," said Ahmad Brooks, a starting defensive back for the Longhorns. "I can't tell you how wrong we were in the first three or four minutes with every playcall we had. I've never seen anything like it.

"It was complete pandemonium, and it was complete confusion."

Reese finally trashed the script, and Texas settled back into its game plan to rally and roll 38-28.

But not before Leach unleashed pandemonium upon the Longhorns for a quarter.

"It was a decent effort," Leach said. "But it would even be more legendary if we had won the sucker."

A decent effort, fit for such a heated rivalry.

"Yeah, it was kind of shady," said former OU tight end Trent Smith, whom Leach drafted to "accidentally" drop the sheet in front of the Texas coaches.

"But it's OU-Texas. There are no rules."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.