Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mike Myers No GIF

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
They died(or are dying) because they tried catering to a tiny fraction of the market by putting fat women and trannies on their cover, bizarrely with abundant data and knowledge that it would alienate the masses that once flocked to their product thereby destroying their business. The almighty dollar, is simply the go-between here that has stopped “going” due to poor business choices and deserves absolutely no blame whatsoever.
Maybe, pictures in SI were not my focus. It was the writing about college/pro sports or sports legends and that sort of thing. I think they LOST lots of revenue awhile back and the good writers were gone and now it is like a fknnn landslide with print media along with college sports. I do not recognize it anymore and it pisssses me off......I have become Homer's dad.

download (4).jpg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They died(or are dying) because they tried catering to a tiny fraction of the market by putting fat women and trannies on their cover, bizarrely with abundant data and knowledge that it would alienate the masses that once flocked to their product thereby destroying their business. The almighty dollar, is simply the go-between here that has stopped “going” due to poor business choices and deserves absolutely no blame whatsoever.
I never cease to be amazed by a business, whose whole purpose in life is to make money, doing things, unforced mind you, that they know are going to hurt and potentially cripple their profits. That kind of stupid cannot be fixed.

used to be a big fan of SI. The writing was excellent and they had interesting articles that I read even if I didn’t care about that sport. The internet probably did its share to destroy the magazine, but the most recent decisions from the top probably sped up the process.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman. Curry Kirkpatrick. Frank Deford. Back in my sports writing days a gazillion years ago, these names and Sports Illustrated represented the absolute pinnacle. Who's on the cover this week? Can he overcome the SI jinx? You couldn't wait for the next edition. Sports Illustrated helped legitimize a whole lot of things that graced its pages, including a guy who didn't even exist, Sidd Finch.

But like so many other things, SI couldn't keep up with the habits or likes of its readers, or their heirs for that matter, and, along with about 29 other issues, it gradually went by the wayside. Kind of sad because it speaks to the decline of journalism as a whole. It got swept away in the digital maelstrom.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I never cease to be amazed by a business, whose whole purpose in life is to make money, doing things, unforced mind you, that they know are going to hurt and potentially cripple their profits. That kind of stupid cannot be fixed.

used to be a big fan of SI. The writing was excellent and they had interesting articles that I read even if I didn’t care about that sport. The internet probably did its share to destroy the magazine, but the most recent decisions from the top probably sped up the process.

Sad thing is--they could have kept going in some capacity if they had focused on cutting number of editions and staff.

Online publications like The Athletic have no problem delivering high-quality sports journalism to millions--Sports Illustrated could have easily transitioned to a hybrid online model for their best writers and journalists; while printing a few "Commemorative Issue" publications every year for fans that wanted a hard-copy of their team's success.

Guaranteed they could have stayed in business for many years doing those things while keeping their name intact. But they sabotaged themselves.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
1705782037911.png

One of the best articles I remember reading from SI was "The Toughest Coach There Ever Was" by Frank Deford. It was about Bull Sullivan the head football coach at East Mississippi Junior College in Scooba in the 1950s and '60s.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1984/04/30/the-toughest-coach-there-ever-was

I used to wait for my copy of SI every week. The first issue I ever got had St. Louis Cardinals centerfielder Curt Flood with his back to the camera going against an ivy covered wall which I presume was Wrigley Field in Chicago.

1705783784566.png

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I got an SI subscription as a Christmas present one year and it became a yearly gift. I continued for a while as a young adult before losing interest. My two favorite issues every year became the swimsuit issue and the issue two weeks later with irate letters to the editor. After awhile I began to wonder how it was possible that someone who subscribed was unaware of the yearly photo shoot. Best picture ever was Cheryl Tiegs in the fish net one piece. (I’d attach it, but this isn’t the saloon!)

Here’s the cover of that issue:

1705785507741.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator