RUMOR: Florida will beat Ole Miss this week

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n287050 said:
I don't know what our offensive line is going to do with their defensive line. I think as a defense, if we keep them from scoring on fluke plays like they did against Bama, we can hold them in check. They have an absurdly talented WR corps, though, and they'll make us pay dearly if we have any blown assignments. If we can somehow fix the tackling problem, we can definitely hold their run game in check and make them one-dimensional. Special teams also need to get better, and get better in a hurry.

Don't get too caught up in Ole Miss struggling against Vandy, they were due for a letdown after the Bama game and before playing us. I'm not dreading this game quite as much as I was a week ago, but it's going to take a Herculean effort to beat these guys.

Nailed it. We struggled mightily to run the ball against UcheaT. That landshark D Old Piss has is 100% better than the Vols. Our D will show and we'll hold them to around 24 or so, I'm confident in that. Can we score more than 20? I'm not confident. Although making that prick Shepard Smith eat a nice piece of "STFU About Old Piss" cake would be nice indeed.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We really just need to start getting the ball to the perimeter early and often. The more we insistently try to pound the middle of the defense, the harder it's going to be to move the ball. We don't have the top end speed at RB to run a bunch of sweeps and options, and we don't have the beef up front to run 30 times up the middle, but we can do those quick screens to D-Rob and Powell to get the defense moving laterally. The more we do that successfully, the less they'll blitz, and the more time Grier will have to carve up the defense (think the last two drives last night).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n287068 said:
We really just need to start getting the ball to the perimeter early and often.
THIS. A thousand times this.

Imagine if we hadn't run the ball up the middle incessantly (like clockwork on 2nd and 10) the whole game. It was like a throwaway down... until the last two drives.

Mac needs a much tighter reign on Nusschamp.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n287078 said:
THIS. A thousand times this.

Imagine if we hadn't run the ball up the middle incessantly (like clockwork on 2nd and 10) the whole game. It was like a throwaway down... until the last two drives.

Mac needs a much tighter reign on Nusschamp.
We've developed a serious tendency to throw on 1st down and seems we ALWAYS run it on 2nd and 10. They used a run blitz almost every time we were in 2nd and long, yet we didn't get away from it until we had to throw on every down. Hopefully, if someone as dense as me in the details of football can see this, our coaching staff can.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's an interesting game. Both teams' defenses match-up well against the others' offenses; but you can't help but feel like Ole Miss has the edge because of the sloppy play of Florida the last 3 games. We can win this game as long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot over and over. Hopefully these guys continue the momentum of the UT game, but also show up to practice ready to work and get better.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n287081 said:
We've developed a serious tendency to throw on 1st down and seems we ALWAYS run it on 2nd and 10. They used a run blitz almost every time we were in 2nd and long, yet we didn't get away from it until we had to throw on every down. Hopefully, if someone as dense as me in the details of football can see this, our coaching staff can.

I mean I get the thinking behind running the ball on 2nd & long when the defense could be playing back, but don't do it every single time. :lol2:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I read a stat somewhere that in the NFL, after a 1st down incompletion, they run the ball almost 90% of the time.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why aren't Cronkrite or Scarlett playing?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n287087 said:

That's a good question. Someone asked Mac about them in his presser and he just gave a smartass remark like "they're doing good".

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n287086 said:
I read a stat somewhere that in the NFL, after a 1st down incompletion, they run the ball almost 90% of the time.

Well I looked it up and its not that high, but interestingly the play call on 1st down does have a huge impact on what they call on 2nd and 10. If the first down play was a run, then the 2nd down play is a run only about 29% of the time. But if the first down play was a pass, then the 2nd down play is a run almost 60% of the time. The data is normalized to disregard situations where the team is just running out the clock or trying to save the clock. Its an interesting stat because if the goal is to be as balanced as possible, letting the previous play dictate what you're going to do in a certain situation (2nd and 10) shouldn't matter any more than the previous coin flip dictates what the heads/tails result of the next coin flip will be.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody have word on Grier's condition? To me, he was beat up pretty good. It was painful watching him be in pain during the presser.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He's exhausted from bedding every 9 or better chick in a 2 mile radius of Hogtown.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
GatorJ;n287087 said:

Scarlett may still be putting the ball on the ground in practice like he was before the UK game.

And if I'm not mistaken, Mac said after the UK game that Crunk had an ankle issue.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n287087 said:
One can't pickup blitzes and one can't keep from fumbling. If we put Crunk in the game, it's an obvious run. If we run a pass play, he just can't be trusted to block or we have to keep a TE/Wing in pass pro also and limit his responsibilities to half the field. That being said I really like Crunk on 3rd and 1. Once he's back from injury I think he will return to that role or get on the field in other obvious run situations.

Scarlett won't see the field until something changes with his ball protection skills.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n287086 said:
The goal is to make 3rd down something manageable, like 3rd and 3-5. That being said, with this OL, a crossing route, stop, slant or swing pass is much more effective.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If we can't do better on special teams and limit return yards we will lose. Giving Ole Miss consistently good field position just puts too much pressure on our defense.

I'm usually an optimist but Ole Miss, like LSU, just looks bigger and faster in all phases of the game. As stated many times, we're gonna need to "smother" and gang tackle these guys and not use the "swipe" or "armless torpedo" method I've seen waaaaaay too many times as of late. In addition, to no one's surprise I'm sure, our o-line will have to play inspired lights out football if we're to have a chance.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I liken this game to the one against LSU in '12. Great defense, offense was so-so. LSU was what? #3 or something when they came to town.

That one wasn't a pretty win, but it was a win, regardless. In fact, I can't remember any pretty wins that season.

Does that mean we're going to have a 1 loss regular season? Probably not.

I think we have a shot at beating Ole Miss. I also wouldn't be completely shocked if we lost by 4 touchdowns.

Go Gators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator