Rumor: Mullen was on vacation on NSD

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Truth is, both games, NFL and college, are stressful from a head coaching standpoint. What separates the two is recruiting and the idea that the head coach becomes the face of the college program, much more so than in the NFL.

You were probably right, Ox, when you argued the NFL is a more attractive option nowadays. I thought back to Gruden’s 20-hour work days in Tampa Bay when I first read your comment. But that was then, this is now. The money, the expectations, the distractions, the economics, the hours, they’re all insane with college football.

You’ve now got a pair of college lifers looking to cross over to the NFL grind. That’s telling us something. We need to pay attention.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Truth is, both games, NFL and college, are stressful from a head coaching standpoint. What separates the two is recruiting and the idea that the head coach becomes the face of the college program, much more so than in the NFL.

You were probably right, Ox, when you argued the NFL is a more attractive option nowadays. I thought back to Gruden’s 20-hour work days in Tampa Bay when I first read your comment. But that was then, this is now. The money, the expectations, the distractions, the economics, the hours, they’re all insane with college football.

You’ve now got a pair of college lifers looking to cross over to the NFL grind. That’s telling us something. We need to pay attention.

Oh, God. Not Kansas again.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's certainly possible. But as the Only Gators article points out, in many respects Mullen’s frustration is due to a flawed approach by our entire AD. He wants to compete and they aren’t allowing it, or have prioritized completely differently. That’s the part the concerns me. Are there better coaches out there? Yes. But this would be the second coach in 5 years that has called out UF’s commitment to football and is essentially scolded for doing so, while fan expectations continue on undeterred. That’s a toxic recipe. I’m not saying we’re wrong, or putting it all on that. But at some point, how desirable does the job become when you knowingly inherit less support and yet expectations as high as those that have more.

Kind of a wordy way of staying the obvious, that we need a massive wholesale change from the top down. But do we really know exactly what we have with Mullen given the garbage approach we’ve employed since the mid-00s? And does that approach have a lot to do with why he was “chosen” in the first place as two top tier candidates chose other jobs? Yes, the behavior is frustrating and I didn’t like the end of this year, nor the idea of him looking elsewhere every few years. But we have a major issue that runs way deeper than Dan Mullen, and whether it’s a firing or the replacement of a leaving HC, especially with how he’s largely viewed by many of those within Gator Nation, compared to those outside it, it’s simply not a good look. Like Mullen or not, he’s basically pushing the same argument as virtually all of us here, and both parties have acknowledged that until that changes, we’re at a significant disadvantage.

I can't help but wonder just how committed to facilities and support staff was Alabama before nick saban started winning championships. How committed was the Clemson administration before Dabo really took off? Funny how baseball gets a new stadium right after they win a championship. I'm not saying our administration isn't failing the football program because they are but I imagine it's hard to raise money when you've sucked like we have for the most part of a decade.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't disagree with the penny pinching on facilities in the beginning or the arms race. It certainly seemed like some schools were going to spend themselves into a corner, but once that TV money started rolling in, it saved those that overspent and punished those left behind.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's a fair point but at least with respect to Bama, my understanding was that Saban demanded a commitment to major facility expansion as a condition of going there in the first place.

Saban also had more bargaining power when he came on than unprofessional Dan. Saban already owning a ring, and having an NFL job. Dan came in getting a healthy raise not winning schit at MSU.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saban also had more bargaining power when he came on than unprofessional Dan. Saban already owning a ring, and having an NFL job. Dan came in getting a healthy raise not winning schit at MSU.
If the Dolphins had taken Brees over Culpepper, imagine how different College Football would've been

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
So Mullen thinks he can act like retard, embarrass the school, then get an extension?

Mullen behaves like a guy who won a national title and multiple championships, minus the hardware. He thinks he is "bullet proof" and he does not realise how wrong he is.

DMVGator

Aug 15, 2018
That's certainly possible. But as the Only Gators article points out, in many respects Mullen’s frustration is due to a flawed approach by our entire AD. He wants to compete and they aren’t allowing it, or have prioritized completely differently. That’s the part the concerns me. Are there better coaches out there? Yes. But this would be the second coach in 5 years that has called out UF’s commitment to football and is essentially scolded for doing so, while fan expectations continue on undeterred. That’s a toxic recipe. I’m not saying we’re wrong, or putting it all on that. But at some point, how desirable does the job become when you knowingly inherit less support and yet expectations as high as those that have more.

Kind of a wordy way of staying the obvious, that we need a massive wholesale change from the top down. But do we really know exactly what we have with Mullen given the garbage approach we’ve employed since the mid-00s? And does that approach have a lot to do with why he was “chosen” in the first place as two top tier candidates chose other jobs? Yes, the behavior is frustrating and I didn’t like the end of this year, nor the idea of him looking elsewhere every few years. But we have a major issue that runs way deeper than Dan Mullen, and whether it’s a firing or the replacement of a leaving HC, especially with how he’s largely viewed by many of those within Gator Nation, compared to those outside it, it’s simply not a good look. Like Mullen or not, he’s basically pushing the same argument as virtually all of us here, and both parties have acknowledged that until that changes, we’re at a significant disadvantage.

what reputable source has said this? I’ve read that what you just typed is not the case. Dan’s DC of his own choice is making nearly 2 million dollars per year. He’s choosing to employ Knox, Hevesy, Gonzo, Grantham, and had English on his staff for 3 seasons.

Dan shouldn’t be blaming anyone. It’s known that he doesn’t like to recruit. That’s our main issue.

DMVGator

Aug 15, 2018

it’s been said that the UAA refusing Mullen to fire Grantham is not the case. Mullen chose not to do so. That is on him, nobody else. He has 1 year left on his contract. You think we want to keep a dude who pioneered our worst defense in decades? That’s Mullen’s buddy. We could pony up the money in a day to pay his remaining salary if we wanted to.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is that anybody of consequence? That Twitter account has less than 2000 followers
it is the Gator Nation FB podcast.

The guy who was doing the All22 reviews until some insiders squashed him.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
what reputable source has said this? I’ve read that what you just typed is not the case. Dan’s DC of his own choice is making nearly 2 million dollars per year. He’s choosing to employ Knox, Hevesy, Gonzo, Grantham, and had English on his staff for 3 seasons.

Dan shouldn’t be blaming anyone. It’s known that he doesn’t like to recruit. That’s our main issue.
Youre not getting the point. The athletic department is refusing to allow the HBC sufficient resources to win. That isnt really even debeatable at this point.

We have the cheapest motherfuchsers in the business and them hiring shytty coaches is just one aspect of the problem.

The hire will likely be even worse bc the word is out. Everyone knows we refuse to support our hires w sufficient support staff, and the piles of dirt say it all about our facilitiies.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but I imagine it's hard to raise money when you've sucked like we have for the most part of a decade.
We dont need to RAISE money. FOOTBALL generates 140ish million every fuchsing year.

What you need to RAISE money for are all the nonprofit sports.

What we need to do is spend most of the football money on football. really just spend the football money that we send back to the university.

For ONE FUCHSING YEAR.

just once.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member