Run blocking grades

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Better line play is most certainly a prerequisite towards success in this league and for championship-caliber teams in general; but something to note: all of the top playoff teams (Michigan, Washington, Bama, and Texas) were in the 22-37 range...with georgia in 38th).

Having the *best* run-block OL unit isn't the end-all, be-all in the modern college game anymore. Having an elite pass-blocking unit is.
Very interesting point. I didn't pick up on that. My focus was on the Gators being next to last in a facet of the game that I consider crucial for success on the field. The fact that the top 4 teams In this metric are Air Force, Navy, Georgia Southern, and Western Kentucky certainly supports your comments.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In all fairness, we probably had the worst luck with an OL I have ever seen.

Almost every starter was out with significant injury at some point. And three of our original starters left to other schools before the season began.

I hope this upcoming season is much better.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Very interesting point. I didn't pick up on that. My focus was on the Gators being next to last in a facet of the game that I consider crucial for success on the field. The fact that the top 4 teams In this metric are Air Force, Navy, Georgia Southern, and Western Kentucky certainly supports your comments.

Don't get me wrong: being next to last in the NCAA on this is pathetic and we absolutely need to improve. Really calls into question Napier's process since we had 2 OL coaches and multiple starters left (a few were evidently encouraged to leave) without a backup plan in place. That's poor planning and execution and that's on the head coach.

Couldn't find the final numbers for best pass blocking OLs on a quick Google search, but the most recent analysis (from end of Nov 23) showed that the top four pass-blocking OLs were Oregon, georgia, Texas, and Kansas. One playoff team and 2 that were one game away.

Balanced offense still matters; but having an elite pass-blocking unit seems to make a lot more of a difference these days.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I put this in the coaches thread but it looks like our OL coaches’ contracts expire on January 31st. Neither has been extended as of yet.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I put this in the coaches thread but it looks like our OL coaches’ contracts expire on January 31st. Neither has been extended as of yet.
They’ve had contracts sitting on their desks for weeks. They’re holding out for more money and we’re trying to get it together.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like= twitter hearsay, repeated often.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Year 3, portal's been open two seasons. Put up or shut up. If it's coaching and not fixed, it's on the HC. If it's talent, no excuses from here.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014

Almost every starter was out with significant injury at some point. And three of our original starters left to other schools before the season began.

excuses, excuses, excuses

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Better depth this season, on paper at this point at least? Two seasons in it's difficult to have rebuilt on OL but we could debate the three starters departing and on who that belongs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.