Scholarship reduction begins

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
1. Burke was going to be cut. However, a few team leaders went to CBN and convinced him to give Burke another chance (per Nick de la Torre).

2. From an insider who has proven reliable. The guys who were cut were told they had to meet certain expectations. They didn't. In the past regime these same threats were made but not followed through. CBN had to send a message. Mordecai being cut is the one that shocked everyone. But, according to the insider, CBN doesn't play favorites. He is Mr. Consistent.

3. Brace yourselves as more could be coming.
Great post, thanks. I really like the commitment to excellence and integrity CBN brings to the table. It shows in everything he's said and done, including the pruning process that has just begun. That sort of intestinal fortitude gives him the stature as a leader to demand those same things from his staff and every player on the team - no matter how promising they are. I am glad that Burke seems to have won a reprieve due to some teammates going to bat for him. He seems like a monster deep threat and maybe this brush with disaster will leave the young man wiser and more chastened. This is what great coaches do - the most difficult tasks come first, setting the stage for the edifice that is to come.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
As I said there is a balance. I’ve used the Meyer/Dee Webb situation as an example many times. It was widely known that Urban hated him and didn’t want him in the team. The post-Usce blowup in the plane was supposedly largely about him. But he put up with him in 2005 because we had Reggie Lewis and Vernell Brown on the other side and no other depth. He got what he could out of him, had no argument with Webb leaving early and added better players through recruiting. But we needed Webb that season to get us where we needed to be in recruits’ eyes. As I said, some of those names aren’t too critical. Burke(apparently incorrect) and Graham struck me as risky.
I'm a fan of Fenley Graham as a player and know him as a good kid having watched him at LHS. I don't believe for a second he did not "buy in" as others have speculated. He switched positions in the spring at the coaches encouragement. It's the coaches prerogative to ditch a player for any reason but the timing of this was not fair to the kids. The dead period apparently starts this Sunday so it does not give them a reasonable amount of time to try and transfer and find a place to play. Don't preach high character if you don't practice it every day.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a fan of Fenley Graham as a player and know him as a good kid having watched him at LHS. I don't believe for a second he did not "buy in" as others have speculated. He switched positions in the spring at the coaches encouragement. It's the coaches prerogative to ditch a player for any reason but the timing of this was not fair to the kids. The dead period apparently starts this Sunday so it does not give them a reasonable amount of time to try and transfer and find a place to play. Don't preach high character if you don't practice it every day.
Your take on this doesn't seem to match the general mood of the board. Congrats!

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Its because he didnt go to classes. At least that is what is being said. Since you know him why don't you find out and set the record straight.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

When you lose Joe, it’s really only a matter of time. I really thought Napier would at least make it to opening day, but it looks like that’s no longer a guarantee.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Its because he didnt go to classes. At least that is what is being said. Since you know him why don't you find out and set the record straight.
Why bother since your internet sources have all the answers. If he was not meeting class attendance requirements then good for Napier. It's his team and he has to get to certain limits. My point was if the players aren't able to access alternative's due to timing it doesn't fit the narrative. Believe what you choose and keep spreading undocumented rumors from the internet. It suits you perfectly.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Why bother since your internet sources have all the answers. If he was not meeting class attendance requirements then good for Napier. It's his team and he has to get to certain limits. My point was if the players aren't able to access alternative's due to timing it doesn't fit the narrative. Believe what you choose and keep spreading undocumented rumors from the internet. It suits you perfectly.
It was a sincere request since you seemed to know more than the rest of us. But it seems you don't know anything and are spreading your undocumented rumors across the internet. You have no clue what actions have gotten us to this point yet you want to say undocumented that it was unfair as if the coaches just walked up and pulled the rugs out from under these poor victims. Do you actually think these kids, especially a couple guys that would contribute to the success of the team (and coaches in their first coached season) were removed from the team for no reason in an unfair way to them?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

This has been a problem with @neteng for years. We’ve all talked about it privately.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Graham doesn't go to class.
Im not going to repeat what was said about McDaniels because its something that is bad and without any substantial proof of it I dont want to propagate it.
Thomas is supposedly checked out and not bought in.
Again @neteng has the info... :harvey2:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
It was a sincere request since you seemed to know more than the rest of us. But it seems you don't know anything and are spreading your undocumented rumors across the internet. You have no clue what actions have gotten us to this point yet you want to say undocumented that it was unfair as if the coaches just walked up and pulled the rugs out from under these poor victims. Do you actually think these kids, especially a couple guys that would contribute to the success of the team (and coaches in their first coached season) were removed from the team for no reason in an unfair way to them?
I know you can read but it appears you comprehension skills are challenged. I said it seems unfair to wait until immediately before a player dead period to remove someone from the team. I also said if Graham was not attending classes and had been instructed to fix it and did not it was an appropriate yet untimely action by the HC. You are correct I don't know the backstory, neither do you yet you report rumor as fact. Learn the difference.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I know you can read but it appears you comprehension skills are challenged. I said it seems unfair to wait until immediately before a player dead period to remove someone from the team. I also said if Graham was not attending classes and had been instructed to fix it and did not it was an appropriate yet untimely action by the HC. You are correct I don't know the backstory, neither do you yet you report rumor as fact. Learn the difference.

With respect...In these times of the Portal and NIL these kids...if they have any skill at all...will land somewhere and in short order.

In the words of OX...it's still June. 2022 is wide open.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, all we have is undocumented rumors. That's pretty much the reason we all hang out here.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Here is what you said.
It's the coaches prerogative to ditch a player for any reason but the timing of this was not fair to the kids.
Why is the timing of it not fair to the kids if the kids are the reason of the timing of it?

So basically, you are fine with making it sound like the coaches are the ones that made it unfair to 'ditch' a player without knowing any facts but you have a big problem with any speculation that is reported multiple places that the player created his own situation?

Good people make mistakes. Nobody is saying he isn't a good kid. They are just saying the reason is he missed classes. Everyone here seems to be sad about it because they also feel the same way about him that you do.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
From what we know of Napier, there's no way he would hang a kid out to dry for no reason or to just be a jerk. The guy is meticulous in every single thing he does.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
From what we know of Napier, there's no way he would hang a kid out to dry for no reason or to just be a jerk. The guy is meticulous in every single thing he does.
A timeline was set for them to meet standards. The timing for failure was not up to CBN. When that point was reached, Napier didn't check the calendar to see if it was a "convenient" time for them - it was done.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Didn't Chump run a bunch of kids off his first year? Of course, I don't think it was to get below the scholarship limit, because it never seemed like we were close to 85 on the roster. Tater is laying down the law, I just hope he's consistent with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator