SEC Coaches: The best, the ones in trouble, and the ones on the rise

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I would have the guy from Alabama in a class by himself then lump DumBo , Kirby and Coz Eddie in the second group until one of them can win something meaningful.
I know Kirby won the SEC but with the talent he had not to win it all keeps him off the list with Saban.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Everything is lined up for UGA this season, if Beetle Bailey doesn't at least make the playoff, his seat turns hot overnight.

Ogre is in trouble due to all the legal crap in Redstick. He could win 10 this season and still be let go.

Stoops is nowhere near in trouble. He's done a solid job at UK.

Nobody realizes if Old Piss gets any sort of improvement on the defensive side this season, they can shoot up the West standings, which will move Joey Freshwater up this list as well.

Mullen top three? No way.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The guy that wrote this article should be covering badminton or beach volleyball at the wokelympics because he is sure enough clueless about college football. I don't want him to cover curling because I like curling.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Although Orgeron's seat may be a little warm, I wouldn't consider him to be on the hot seat so soon after winning the 2019 NC, given the effect Covid had on the 2020 season.

He is a retard coonass, but he isnt dumb enough to lose the Douchebag Dan at least.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know if Saban is such a great coach but he is a damn good CEO. I can't recall Saban ever outsmarting anybody on game day. Mostly, he's just, "oh, our starting 5* got injured, okay put in the back up 5*."
Apparently knowing to recruit great players instead of vacationing is mystical advice not apparent by some.

#StarWhisperin

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
6.23 x10>>23?
It isn't even the shoe and the loss that are unforgivable. It's the complete non-reaction to it on Mullen's part. Marco has moved on. We're still stuck with the guy who neither learned nor taught anything from that mother of all teachable moments.

The divide between #1 and #3 on this list is greater than that between #3 and #14 by a factor of approximately Avogadro's number.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I would have the guy from Alabama in a class by himself then lump DumBo , Kirby and Coz Eddie in the second group until one of them can win something meaningful.
I know Kirby won the SEC but with the talent he had not to win it all keeps him off the list with Saban.
you realize both those dorks have rings right? As head coaches right? Dumbo has a natty. Mullen has one from 15 years ago as a coordinator and a box full of participation trophies. All 3 of them suck, but until dorky Dan wins SOMETHING he's still not in their league.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not for long.

And he has a National Championship and a SEC Championship.

Mullinz has 13 years of lame excuses and atrocious "dancing".

He’s one perfectly aligned season(assistant) from being 46-41 in his career, and was absolutely awful at OM. I don’t know where DM belongs exactly, but the notion that EO is somehow demonstrably better is crazy talk.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He’s one perfectly aligned season(assistant) from being 46-41 in his career, and was absolutely awful at OM. I don’t know where DM belongs exactly, but the notion that EO is somehow demonstrably better is crazy talk.
Perefectly aligned is true and yet he was smart enough to recruit him and ride him for a ring.

Mullinz was fuchstarded enough to overrule the only competent assistant on his staff and send him to some NFL.team who wears green.

And Mullinz still isnt smart enough to recruit or just overcome the laziness that seems to be his entire hunchbacked existence.

Why isnt Shytbag Mullinz in the same group as Ogre?

76060bf126b62c.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Perefectly aligned is true and yet he was smart enough to recruit him and ride him for a ring.

Mullinz was fuchstarded enough to overrule the only competent assistant on his staff and send him to some NFL.team who wears green.

And Mullinz still isnt smart enough to recruit or just overcome the laziness that seems to be his entire hunchbacked existence.

Why isnt Shytbag Mullinz in the same group as Ogre?

76060bf126b62c.jpg

He is. You were the only one arguing the supremacy of one of them. I’m glad that’s settled.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mayne someday they will hand out the trophy for worst win loss pct vs ranked opponents.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Not the best Xs and Os guy, but is a great CEO. Like Meyer surrounds himself with smart coaches and great talent.

This is a really bad take. Is Saban less of a hands on coach now? Possibly, not sure.

But this is the guy who went undefeated and stopped Tebow and Meyer with B- talent and ran LSU to a title with the same (look at the draft for those two teams). When he didn’t have the greatest talent, he still had some great teams due to his defensive coaching. Minimizing it is just silly even if he has taken more of a CEO role more recently.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im no Saban fan but the defense has never been in question despite numerous coordinator changes. It evolves but IMO it never really even has a really down year. It is very vulnerable to vertical pass but luckily for him SEC coaches are morons and try to run against it instead.

The departure of the Shartchump twins never slowed down the defense and those two asswipes have never managed to even achieve on one side of the ball what Lil Nick does.

The offense changes every time a face in the box changes.

It is pretty clear to ke who calls the defense. I have no reason to think he is suddenly handsoff.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Although Orgeron's seat may be a little warm, I wouldn't consider him to be on the hot seat so soon after winning the 2019 NC, given the effect Covid had on the 2020 season.
Who would have thought UcheaT would have fired Phat Phil a year after his team won the SEC east divisional championship and while winning 75% of the games he coached for them?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a really bad take. Is Saban less of a hands on coach now? Possibly, not sure.

But this is the guy who went undefeated and stopped Tebow and Meyer with B- talent and ran LSU to a title with the same (look at the draft for those two teams). When he didn’t have the greatest talent, he still had some great teams due to his defensive coaching. Minimizing it is just silly even if he has taken more of a CEO role more recently.

How does that change what I said... that he is a dude that surrounds himself with smart football coaches. I didn't say he didn't know Football, just his strength lies in being a CEO. Talent he gathers just isn't on the field, it' s on the sidelines as well. Dude learned from possibly the best coach of our generation while working for the Cleveland Browns.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this story from Rivals would definitely elicit some strong responses from the folks here. For those who are too lazy to read the linked article, here's the summary:

Best:
1) Saban (duh)
2) Fisher
3) Mullen

On the hot seat:
1) Leach
2) Orgeron
3) Stoops

Up and comers:
1) Pittman
2) Beamer
3) Drinkwitz

Here's the link:

Rivals.com - SEC Week: Best coaches, hot seat, rising stars

No way Stoops will ever be on the hot seat in KY country. He is the best they could ever get. He would win a championship at Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator