SEC Coaches: The best, the ones in trouble, and the ones on the rise

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
This is a really bad take. Is Saban less of a hands on coach now? Possibly, not sure.

But this is the guy who went undefeated and stopped Tebow and Meyer with B- talent and ran LSU to a title with the same (look at the draft for those two teams). When he didn’t have the greatest talent, he still had some great teams due to his defensive coaching. Minimizing it is just silly even if he has taken more of a CEO role more recently.
How many of those 2008 Gator players are still playing in the NFL? Serious question because I don't know. There are at least three 2008 Bama "B-talent" players that are still playing and a few others that played as recently as 2018. Not that many B-talent players that can play that long in the NFL...Just sayin...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How many of those 2008 Gator players are still playing in the NFL? Serious question because I don't know. There are at least three 2008 Bama "B-talent" players that are still playing and a few others that played as recently as 2018. Not that many B-talent players that can play that long in the NFL...Just sayin...

I know that poor ole 09 Bama team with no talent. It had so little talent that it went undefeated and won a National Title. The team that produced 14 First Team All-Americans, 31 players on the roster played at least 1 NFL season, and 12 first round picks. But there was no athletic talent on that team.

That's not to include the coaching different with UF rolling out their mastermind OC of Steve Addazio.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Our 2008 team was loaded with talent. So much so, in fact, that by my calculations, we could’ve afforded to give every other FBS team 10 of our 5-star players and still have some left over. It’s staggering.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our 2008 team was loaded with talent. So much so, in fact, that by my calculations, we could’ve afforded to give every other FBS team 10 of our 5-star players and still have some left over. It’s staggering.
I heard we can give a million 5 * players to every other team and STILL have a billion 5 stars left over.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I know that poor ole 09 Bama team with no talent. It had so little talent that it went undefeated and won a National Title. The team that produced 14 First Team All-Americans, 31 players on the roster played at least 1 NFL season, and 12 first round picks. But there was no athletic talent on that team.

That's not to include the coaching different with UF rolling out their mastermind OC of Steve Addazio.

The point isn’t that it had no talent. Of course it did, but it doesn’t compare to what he has now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The point isn’t that it had no talent. Of course it did, but it doesn’t compare to what he has now.

You mean that year three wouldn't be the same as year 14... just like Spurriers team in 93 wasn't as talented as the team he fielded in 01... having a pattern of success helps. That's not just football, but all industries. Proof of success breeds more talented people wanting to come on board and more success.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
our point is to ensure that everyone understands what great math skills nalt has.

he's just as good at counting numbers of championships.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Im no Saban fan but the defense has never been in question despite numerous coordinator changes. It evolves but IMO it never really even has a really down year. It is very vulnerable to vertical pass but luckily for him SEC coaches are morons and try to run against it instead.
I totally agree with this. We had a pretty good passing offense last year and put up 46 points on that defense and Trask threw for over 400 yards. People can say what they want about the game never being in doubt, but at the end of the third quarter Bama only had a 4 point lead and with any kind of a decent defense, UF might have had a chance. At the end of the day though, they knew we could never match them TD for TD. Offensively, we had a decent plan. The year before LSU did the same thing and it worked out fine for them. The difference of course was LSU's defense made some stops, especially in the first half.

Saban figured out a couple of years ago where things were going and dramatically changed his offense. For the first decade he was there, his offense passed for 2,500 - 3,500 yds (more or less) per year. The last three seasons? 4,400 to 4,900 per year. And he did it while still having a running back put up well over 1K yds! People can say it's all recruiting, but Shart has recruited every bit as well as Saban over the last five years and has zero Natty's to show for it while Saban has two.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Proof of success breeds more talented people wanting to come on board and more success.
The reason Mullenz had no recruiting honeymoon.

Nothing to sell and the other teams gave loads of negative receuiting material.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
People can say it's all recruiting, but Shart has recruited every bit as well as Saban over the last five years and has zero Natty's to show for it while Saban has two.
I dont think anyone says it is ALL recruiting. It is never just recruiting, just facilities, or just coaching, or just support staff. There are plenty of examples of people having only one of the above.

You really must have all.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't feel too bad. I think that Mac was one of Saban's worst hires too...
he was atrocious. Watching that Fuchstard score 6 points with the most offensive talent ever assembled while Grasseater scored 9 was cruel and unusual punishment.

Re: worst hire, it is hard to separate Sharkhumper from Nussdrunk in my mind. As terrible and predictable as Butters was, Nussdrunk managed to amplify it.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Nalt is really struggling today. More than usual.

I thought he was just laid up from the ankle injury and it was the meds before, but his head must have hit the pavement harder than we thought:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Nalt is really struggling today. More than usual.

I thought he was just laid up from the ankle injury and it was the meds before, but his head must have hit the pavement harder than we thought:

:rotfl: I don't actually believe in karma but I do believe that if you play stupid games then you win stupid prizes... And those squatting trucks... Is that just the latest way that queers are "coming out" these days or what? :facepalm:

Oh, are we allowed to use terms like queers, ******s, etc. on this board? I'm not one to mince words and I am definitely NOT into political correctness so I call them like I see them...

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
This is a really bad take. Is Saban less of a hands on coach now? Possibly, not sure.

But this is the guy who went undefeated and stopped Tebow and Meyer with B- talent and ran LSU to a title with the same (look at the draft for those two teams). When he didn’t have the greatest talent, he still had some great teams due to his defensive coaching. Minimizing it is just silly even if he has taken more of a CEO role more recently.

That's because Saban was smart enough to have his D use UF's scheme against his O in practice all year long. McElroy (sp?) said as much.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Who would have thought UcheaT would have fired Phat Phil a year after his team won the SEC east divisional championship and while winning 75% of the games he coached for them?
I hadn't thought about that, Nalt. It certainly gives me pause, but I hope we haven't sunk to the UCheat level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.