SEC Coaches: The best, the ones in trouble, and the ones on the rise

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I thought this story from Rivals would definitely elicit some strong responses from the folks here. For those who are too lazy to read the linked article, here's the summary:

Best:
1) Saban (duh)
2) Fisher
3) Mullen

On the hot seat:
1) Leach
2) Orgeron
3) Stoops

Up and comers:
1) Pittman
2) Beamer
3) Drinkwitz

I won't even bother addressing the listing of Mullen, though it does speak to the quality of the HC's in the SEC and further demonstrate why Saban is so dominant. As for the hot seat, I know the guy felt compelled to list three for each category, but I refuse to believe Stoops is in any trouble. While Pittman is as obvious an answer for the last category category as Saban is for the first, I thought the choice of Beamer was odd as he hasn't even coached a game yet.

Here's the link:

Rivals.com - SEC Week: Best coaches, hot seat, rising stars

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Leach has been there for one year, how is he already on the hot seat... other than just being leach.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I will just say this. Like him or not, Saban is in his own category regarding the SEC and coaches. Putting his name along with any of the other dreck that coaches in this league in any category is just insulting.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Kirby Dumb's seat is starting to get warm. I think if he has another year of not sniffing a ring his seat starts to get real hot.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Leach has been there for one year, how is he already on the hot seat... other than just being leach.

Agreed. It wouldn't totally shock me if he were gone sooner than the average flameout due to his demeanor. I could even see him leaving on his own. But hotseat is nonsense.

I'd throw Stoops in there as well. If by chance that POD forecast comes to fruition, good luck getting anyone to take that job. Perfect example of a program that has forgotten who they are.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Although Orgeron's seat may be a little warm, I wouldn't consider him to be on the hot seat so soon after winning the 2019 NC, given the effect Covid had on the 2020 season.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Although Orgeron's seat may be a little warm, I wouldn't consider him to be on the hot seat so soon after winning the 2019 NC, given the effect Covid had on the 2020 season.

...and Marco helping him beat us last year with a depleted roster. that'll help

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
...and Marco helping him beat us last year with a depleted roster. that'll help

I really hate having to give this comment a 'like".

As much as I shudder with anger and breath a sigh of disgust when I think about Marco throwing that shoe, after pause and true reflection I always come to the conclusion that it wasn't his fault we lost that game. We lost because our coach's sucked that night and probably during the week leading up to it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't know if Saban is such a great coach but he is a damn good CEO. I can't recall Saban ever outsmarting anybody on game day. Mostly, he's just, "oh, our starting 5* got injured, okay put in the back up 5*."

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I assumed that Orgeron was in trouble because of all the crap going on in the program versus wins and losses.
Understanding that 90% of the legitimate violations that occurred can and will be covered up or at least minimized, I would be shocked if LSU actually made the move.
I guess what I am saying is that his seat was hot in January when the stories were fresh but I suspect that time and a 10-11 win season would make everything disappear. Remember, it just means more in the SEC.

Additionally, I doubt Stoops’s seat is even warm. If UK fires him they will win the most delusional award.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know if Saban is such a great coach but he is a damn good CEO. I can't recall Saban ever outsmarting anybody on game day. Mostly, he's just, "oh, our starting 5* got injured, okay put in the back up 5*."

As Spurrier said 5-6 years ago “He wins the recruiting wars every year so shouldn’t he win the championship every year?”

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
As much as I shudder with anger and breath a sigh of disgust when I think about Marco throwing that shoe, after pause and true reflection I always come to the conclusion that it wasn't his fault we lost that game. We lost because our coach's sucked that night and probably during the week leading up to it.
It isn't even the shoe and the loss that are unforgivable. It's the complete non-reaction to it on Mullen's part. Marco has moved on. We're still stuck with the guy who neither learned nor taught anything from that mother of all teachable moments.

The divide between #1 and #3 on this list is greater than that between #3 and #14 by a factor of approximately Avogadro's number.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It isn't even the shoe and the loss that are unforgivable. It's the complete non-reaction to it on Mullen's part. Marco has moved on. We're still stuck with the guy who neither learned nor taught anything from that mother of all teachable moments.

The divide between #1 and #3 on this list is greater than that between #3 and #14 by a factor of approximately Avogadro's number.

Had to give this post a like, just for the Avagdro Number reference.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Not the best Xs and Os guy, but is a great CEO. Like Meyer surrounds himself with smart coaches and great talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator