SEC Country Practice Report

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some good info....CeCe is weighing 267lbs, and Riles is injured:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/gators-notebook-too-soon-to-assume-qb-injury-news-and-more

Gators Notebook: Too soon to assume QB, injury news and more

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — If anybody was hoping for a formal resolution on Florida’s quarterback competition anytime soon, well, it doesn’t seem like that is in the works.

Gators head coach Jim McElwain was asked Monday after practice if it was too early to assume that redshirt-sophomore Luke Del Rio will be the starter.

“Yeah, I think so. Let’s see, we’ve had two practices in underwear, two practices in some shoulder pads and one in a torrential downpour. So, yeah I don’t think it’s there,” McElwain said. “I’d say the last two practices he made a couple mistakes that were unacceptable for the way that we expect the position to be played. And so, we’ve got a ways to go. Good thing we’ve got practice.”

Del Rio is competing with Austin Appleby, a graduate transfer from Purdue, for the job after both 2015 quarterbacks, Will Grier and Treon Harris, left the program.

McElwain’s response to that direct question was predictable, as it would not be in his style to give anything away this early.

But more interesting, perhaps, was what else he had to say on the topic.

Pressed further if he wanted to avoid going into the start of the season with the position unsettled as it was last year, McElwain indicated that wouldn’t bother him much.

“No, I’m fine. Get somebody in there and go move the ball,” he said. “Quite honestly, I’m more worried about the people around (the quarterback). We’ve got to play better in the o-line. We do. We’ve got to play better at receiver from a consistency standpoint. And we’ve got to give the opportunity for those running backs to go make some plays. That’s my big concern right now.”

The Gators will ramp up preseason camp Tuesday with the start of two-a-days.

Injury news
Redshirt-junior offensive lineman Antonio Riles Jr. went down with an unspecified leg injury in practice Monday.

“I have no idea how serious it is,” McElwain said.

Riles played in 11 games last season, starting the first six at right guard.

Senior wide receiver Chris Thompson sustained a hip injury Monday.

“It doesn’t seem serious. He just pulled himself out in the middle of practice,” McElwain said.

Thompson played in 13 games last season with two starts while totaling five catches for 48 yards.

“Other than that, we’re doing OK,” McElwain said on the injury front.

Playing through the weather
McElwain took the team outside in the rain Monday to see how the Gators would respond to a different challenge.

The outcome? Mixed results.

“We wanted to get outside and play in the elements a little bit. It’s kind of interesting when there’s distractions,” he said. “One of the things we talk about quite a bit, and we talked about it last year, is trying to create chaos where there’s other things going on that force you to focus on the details that help you with each individual play. And today, execution was not great at all.

“However, it was a great learning experience to understand you can’t allow external distractions in anything that you do (to) hinder your performance. I thought there was a little bit of that going on. I will say on a positive note, the guys … straining through practice and playing with energy was something that was really good.”

Other highlights
McElwain again offered praise for freshman offensive lineman Jawaan Taylor, along with sophomore Martez Ivey.

It’s clear, though, that he feels the unit as a whole still has a ways to go after giving up 46 sacks last year — the most of any FBS team.

“I think there’s some guys really starting to stand out, some guys that are not afraid to step up and kind of let the defense take it to them,” he said. “I think Martez Ivey is one of those guys. It’s a long ways to go, but (Jawaan) Taylor has proven that, you know what, he doesn’t care, he’s just going to go play hard. And we need to get some other guys up there to say, you know what, it’s okay to come off the ball and play with pad level and not maybe be passive, if that’s a good word.”

On the other side of the ball, McElwain touched on the potential he sees in sophomore defensive end CeCe Jefferson.

“He has been playing both spots, and he is a guy that you love being around him. He has a great smile and he is quick-witted. I just love that,” he said. “He is actually really playing well. I worry a little about his weight, because he is only really, yesterday he was 267. This guy is naturally really strong. He has really strong hands and a great first punch. There is no doubt why he was as highly recruited as he was. He has proven that to be true.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I JUST

DONT

UNDERSTAND

our DL LOSING weight, esoecially the guys that are going to be forced to move inside. Its the nature of the beast when you have two DTs and 14 DEs. Hell half of the DEs are too damn small to play DE in the SEC STILL.

Obviously Mac isnt happy either since he brought it up.

WTF is going on with our S&C staff?

In Sabans system the DEs should be around 285 or so.

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
267 is pretty light for CeCe to be counted on playing any DT, which it seems they are.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well it sounds like the O-line is still a disaster

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well it sounds like the O-line is still a disaster
You're not ready to play OL in the SEC until your 3rd or 4th year, hopefully as redshirt sophs. Early playing time, unless it's just a game or two to reinforce the concept of "holy shyt, these guys are fast and strong", is generally detrimental. The youngsters spend their time in ice whirlpools, and nursing bad knees and shoulders, trying to get ready for the next game instead of working in the weightroom and film room like they need to. Yeah, we've had some kids play reasonably well FOR A FRESHMAN (especially Tyler Jordan) but there is little doubt that our OL will remain a weakness for at least another year IMO. Hopefully we wont be an absolute trainwreck this year though as we were last year watching our boys getting ragdolled by three man fronts vs. FAU.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am looking forward to seeing these 2 QBs in some real game action even if it is UMass.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I am looking forward to seeing these 2 QBs in some real game action even if it is UMass.

I apologize for forgetting who posted the Helmet Schedule, but I noticed that UMass is playing 3 SEC teams this year. That probably makes them "Honorary SEC" in their minds. But GatorBait to me!!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
IDK .... coach Mac's wording seems like fogging?? =
"He doesn't care" is Mac's complement of how well Jawaan Taylor is playing??
Also, "trying to create chaos where there's other things going on that force you to focus on the details" was
about playing in the rain.

Let me try a Macism = We played like we didn't know anything but that's a good thing if our goal is to be learning."

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
McElwain again offered praise for freshman offensive lineman Jawaan Taylor
Tells me were going BIG on the offensive line, no more screwing around with guys who aren't going to play at 310-315 plus. It takes leverage to move the ball when rushing. Weight is the easiest way to gain leverage. I'm thinking our passing game will probably look a lot like what we saw in spring and I think LDR will have an advantage there since Applewood seems to hold the ball longer.....Once we show teams that we can mash with our running game then we'll see more downfield passing and some off of play action.....

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
...I'm thinking our passing game will probably look a lot like what we saw in spring...

Geeze, that would be nice! I'd take hitting 10 out of every 11 passes thrown all day, every day.

Not that I believe that will happen... But when you said you believed our passing game will look a lot like the spring game that's the first thing I thought.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Geeze, that would be nice! I'd take hitting 10 out of every 11 passes thrown all day, every day.

Not that I believe that will happen... But when you said you believed our passing game will look a lot like the spring game that's the first thing I thought.
Well I'd take that all day long too....What I think though is we'll start off a lot of games with a quick passing attack and then settle into a more conventional, balanced offense as the game progresses. It will both keep the defense off the los and keep our better offensive linemen from getting gassed and having to use guys who may not be ready. Make no mistake about it though, we'll have a somewhat punishing ground attack, but it won't be run first IMO.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well I'd take that all day long too....What I think though is we'll start off a lot of games with a quick passing attack and then settle into a more conventional, balanced offense as the game progresses. It will both keep the defense off the los and keep our better offensive linemen from getting gassed and having to use guys who may not be ready. Make no mistake about it though, we'll have a somewhat punishing ground attack, but it won't be run first IMO.

The KY game will probably give the offense enough resistance in the passing game to see where we stand a little. Stoops has really been bragging about his secondary. They lost a lot of talent and experience in the front seven however.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I apologize for forgetting who posted the Helmet Schedule, but I noticed that UMass is playing 3 SEC teams this year. That probably makes them "Honorary SEC" in their minds. But GatorBait to me!!!
Still love the av...great moment!!!!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The KY game will probably give the offense enough resistance in the passing game to see where we stand a little. Stoops has really been bragging about his secondary. They lost a lot of talent and experience in the front seven however.
I'll be looking for our TE's to have a huge game in that situation. They are athletic enough that if we get them over a LB it could be lights out...Goolsby's pretty damned good after the catch too. Same with our RB's. Get them the ball on some screens because they all seem to have good hands......I say we crush Kaint yucky again.........

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be looking for our TE's to have a huge game in that situation. They are athletic enough that if we get them over a LB it could be lights out...Goolsby's pretty damned good after the catch too. Same with our RB's. Get them the ball on some screens because they all seem to have good hands......I say we crush Kaint yucky again.........

Yep it would be nice to get the last 2 years behind us when it comes to KY.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm hopeful that Del Rio's inability to completely distance himself is at least partly due to Appleby also being a viable candidate. While I'd like to see us settle on one guy, the best scenario for us would be a competent guy right behind him, affording at least one of the freshman a redshirt, hopefully both.

Law is right on the OL. It's not a quick fix and we all kind of knew that going into the 2015 offseason. They did have their moments last year, and I think their late-season issues had as much to do with Treon's inabilities as their own. We should be better, but still a year away from where we need to be.

The lack of consistency at WR is probably the most disturbing part. Seems like copy and paste from every fall camp since 2008. I was really hoping Fulwood had grown up and taken the reigns, but it doesn't appear that way. The fact that between him, Worten, and Thompson we're still no closer to consistent solid play at WR tells me we need to just go ahead and bite the bullet with the new blood. The upperclassmen have been a serious waste of space.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I knew our OL was bad but I had no idea we gave up the most sacks in the entire country last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator