SEC Country Practice Report

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with sofla, let the young WRs get out there and take their lumps. It's not possible they play any worse than the guys weve had on the roster the last few years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I knew our OL was bad but I had no idea we gave up the most sacks in the entire country last year.
And, our QBs (even Grier) were above average at scrambling and slipped many sacks that Brantley or Driskel types would have taken.
I'm hopeful that Del Rio's inability to completely distance himself is at least partly due to Appleby also being a viable candidate. While I'd like to see us settle on one guy, the best scenario for us would be a competent guy right behind him, affording at least one of the freshman a redshirt, hopefully both.

Law is right on the OL. It's not a quick fix and we all kind of knew that going into the 2015 offseason. They did have their moments last year, and I think their late-season issues had as much to do with Treon's inabilities as their own. We should be better, but still a year away from where we need to be.

The lack of consistency at WR is probably the most disturbing part. Seems like copy and paste from every fall camp since 2008. I was really hoping Fulwood had grown up and taken the reigns, but it doesn't appear that way. The fact that between him, Worten, and Thompson we're still no closer to consistent solid play at WR tells me we need to just go ahead and bite the bullet with the new blood. The upperclassmen have been a serious waste of space.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
In all fairness to some of the veteran WR's I'm not really sure they've been coached worth a damn....Not making any excuses for them but still it could be an issue.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I knew our OL was bad but I had no idea we gave up the most sacks in the entire country last year.

We took a bunch of sacks starting with the Missouri game. I remember a bunch in our final few regular season games. I think FAU had like 6 or so sacks against us.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For that act of character and inspirational leadership, Darrin Kitchens will always be one of the greatest of all-time Gators to me.

In all kinds of weather yada yada yada.
Agreed!!!!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I think the o-line will be fine. Jordan, Sharpe, and Ivey will be solid. It is the other spots that worry me. Can Johnson develop at RT? Do one of the guys at LG step up allowing Ivey to move to RT? I think that will happen at some point this year.

We have a ton of young talent at WR. Fullwood will start and at some point one of the freshman will take his job. He is what he is.

I think the QB job is still up for grabs. I listened to an interview with Appleby recently and he is firmly convinced he'll be the starter game one. I don't think he sounds that confident if LDR was way ahead.

Has anyone heard anything about Franks? I'm curious if he has improved mechanically.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In all fairness to some of the veteran WR's I'm not really sure they've been coached worth a damn....Not making any excuses for them but still it could be an issue.

Forgot about that area, 'Crete. Our position coaches, do we know their worth at developing skills ?
What do we really, really know the thoroughness of their knowledge ? …

We've often thought about these CFB heroes getting no degree or getting a meaningless degree.
Why shouldn't they get all the instruction on coaching that they could = watch videos, read great
coaches books: "The Art of Smart Football", "The Complete Handbook of Wide Receivers" etc.
All CFB coaches make higher $ than ordinary occupations.

For that matter, why couldn't UF offer a degree in FB coaching … including Youth Football.
UF employing retired NFL coaches to move to Gainesville to teach. Now that would be a magnetic recruiting
pitch. How's Professor Spurrier sound ? (that would be a graduate course.)

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well I'd take that all day long too....What I think though is we'll start off a lot of games with a quick passing attack and then settle into a more conventional, balanced offense as the game progresses. It will both keep the defense off the los and keep our better offensive linemen from getting gassed and having to use guys who may not be ready. Make no mistake about it though, we'll have a somewhat punishing ground attack, but it won't be run first IMO.
We'll be running in the 4th qtr after we're up 4 TDs.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I wish I could like this post more than once...
I think by design we'll pass the ball a higher percentage of times in the first half of games. We don't have a deep enough rotation of quality offensive linemen at this point to impose our will early in most games at least against league competition. That quick read 5-15 yard passing game will help our line stay fresh then let a tired and frustrated defense tackle Thompson and Kronk late in the 3rd and into the 4th quarters.....Oh, and when they start to crowd the los Mac will hit em deep off play action. I think this is going to be a fun year to watch our offense develop into what we've all been hoping for. I'm not sure about everyone else but I have confidence in Mac's offensive gameplanning. We just need the players to be on the same page.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I wish I could like this post more than once...
I think by design we'll pass the ball a higher percentage of times in the first half of games. We don't have a deep enough rotation of quality offensive linemen at this point to impose our will early in most games at least against league competition. That quick read 5-15 yard passing game will help our line stay fresh then let a tired and frustrated defense tackle Thompson and Kronk late in the 3rd and into the 4th quarters.....Oh, and when they start to crowd the los Mac will hit em deep off play action. I think this is going to be a fun year to watch our offense develop into what we've all been hoping for. I'm not sure about everyone else but I have confidence in Mac's offensive gameplanning. We just need the players to be on the same page.
Yepper, competent QB and passing game will do wonders for the ground game.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014

Well ... don't be so sure about that ... we now have Spurrier as Ambassador and Advisor to the Head Coach.

As the HBC, Spurrier earned his reputation amongst our SEC rivals by playing the 3rd string just as aggressively in the 4th quarter as he did with the first unit in the first half of games. And of course that was a good part of the reason players found it fun to come play for Spurrier. And opposing coaches didn't enjoy the idea of facing the Gators because of the very real possibility they would end up looking at a final score that was embarrassing.

He's said some version of this many times: "(+/-) It's the job of their defense to stop us", and "If they don’t like it, they can do something about it."

This guy had us a throw a TD pass on the last play of the game years ago against Kentucky, when we were already up something like 59-7.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe xs sack days are over. Little better O-line, better vision for QB, quicker QB release,
more open WRs and TEs, better RBs to distract, to block, to catch, etc. Overdrive Gators.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm guessing cece well play dt in 3rd and long situations only utilizing his speed on the inside...but still that's really light

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yepper, competent QB and passing game will do wonders for the ground game.

All starts with a competent offensive line. Which is something due to youth and injuries we didn't have last year, especially after UGA

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.