SEC East is in Shambles!

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remaining schedule difficulty reassessed after Week 1?

1. Georgia - Definitely the most talented team we play.
2. LSU - At least roughly equal if not better talent - Will be a hard win to get on the road.
3. Auburn - A tough one - we have home field advantage but that true freshman QB will have a few games under his belt when they play us.
4. Kentucky - I don't see them having the big drop to 6-6 a lot of people see. I think this is either an 8-4 or 7-5 team at minimum.
5. Missouri - Yes they lost to Wyoming but they will pull a couple of surprise wins in SEC play I think.
6. FSU - Probably better than their collapse against Boise State - Defense was on the field for an insane amount of plays.
7. South Carolina - They are probably good for one surprise SEC win at least but will have a bad record with that schedule.
8. Tennessee - Appear to have major issues on defense but some of that was wearing down to Georgia State as they were on the field for a long time. Probably better than Vanderbilt overall.
9. Vanderbilt

I would say 9-3 likely but 10-2 is just a little more likely than before.

That Auburn D looked pretty tough last night , they could give us some problems.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t get to watch a ton of games yesterday because we’re entertaining some out of town company, but that had to be one of the weirdest opening weekends in recent memory.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I’m as demanding as the next Gator, but what we’re witnessing in Knoxville is exactly what’s wrong with the idea of “ok, let’s fire him and get someone better” mindset. They really can’t do anything for a while because of the spectacle they’ve become in recent years. Who would take that job with the toxicity it currently possesses? Ironically, the primary reason they canned Fuller was because he wasn’t going to beat Meyer at UF or Saban at Ala

As it turns out, he would’ve only dealt with Meyer two more times before we went south. And given his record against Richt, he probably wins the East at least a few times in the next 4-5 years. Instead, they lose focus, make a risky move, and are now 11 years into a rebuild, with the fanbase pretty much already ready to kill the latest version, and are 1-19 against those teams in the process.

I’m in no way advocating a long drawn out disaster. But even the notion of “next coach” when we’re currently at 11-3, puts us dangerously close to ut territory.

No business model ever prided itself on high turnover or an overly short leash. It doesn’t work.
Great post. However, I think only the deepest never-Mullens take any talk about who’s next seriously. I firmly believe you have to let this staff play it out over at least 5yrs. Unless its a total shyt show.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
More than could, they will. FF and the OL have a ton of growing to do fast.

Unless we improve considerably , I see them shutting down our running game. And I have zero confidence in FF winning a tough game relying on him in the passing game.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It will be like when they lost to Indiana or someone like that a few years back. They will upset a couple of supposedly better teams in SEC play. Hopefully we aren't one of them again.

Watching part of these East games KY actually looked like to me they aren't going back to 6-6 this year. I could see them going 8-4 possibly.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe 9-3 as the rest of the east looked bad and Louisville doesn’t look special.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I didn’t get to watch a ton of games yesterday because we’re entertaining some out of town company, but that had to be one of the weirdest opening weekends in recent memory.

It was weird for me as well. At random moments throughout the day, I’d just break out in hysterical laughter, found myself slapping my hand down on tables, and at one point beer actually began coming out of my nose. Really strange.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Unless we improve considerably , I see them shutting down our running game. And I have zero confidence in FF winning a tough game relying on him in the passing game.

The Auburn D completely shut down Oregon the last 7 drives, totally dominated them. Mullen will need to get creative to move the ball on them. Oregon has the most veteran OL in college football and the #1 draft pick playing QB. Hopefully we pull out a close one and cause their freshman QB some problems (he looked poised after a rough start).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Auburn D completely shut down Oregon the last 7 drives, totally dominated them. Mullen will need to get creative to move the ball on them. Oregon has the most veteran OL in college football and the #1 draft pick playing QB. Hopefully we pull out a close one and cause their freshman QB some problems (he looked poised after a rough start).

It’s not an even year, so I just assumed Aub would be good this season. Most fickle team I’ve ever seen. But yeah, they looked like the quintessential SEC D and Nix did a solid job for a Fr. We’ll have our hands full, then they’ll be 6-6 in 2020.

That said, the powers that be have been trying their best to validate the P12 with someone, and Oregon has been given that honor this year. I actually like Cristobal, but I’m still not sure they’re anything more than a decent team that we’ve made into a darling. I’d almost forgotten about that Stanford disaster until they showed it last night. He and the ducks have a long way to go, Herbert or not.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Muschamp's seat it red hot!

The scary part about that last tweet is that I’m not entirely sure it’s true. Florida fans never thought he deserved another HC job, much less an SEC job, yet here he sits. ADs are strange animals - wouldn’t surprise me if a PAC12 or BIG 12 team took a shot to go against conventional conference wisdom, especially if the Mel Tucker experiment works at CU. Don’t buy the notion that those conferences aren’t concerned with defense but there’s certainly that perception out there.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The scary part about that last tweet is that I’m not entirely sure it’s true. Florida fans never thought he deserved another HC job, much less an SEC job, yet here he sits. ADs are strange animals - wouldn’t surprise me if a PAC12 or BIG 12 team took a shot to go against conventional conference wisdom, especially if the Mel Tucker experiment works at CU. Don’t buy the notion that those conferences aren’t concerned with defense but there’s certainly that perception out there.

I understand/agree w/ the sentiment, but this would be his second firing. He's done as a head coach. Butters had "success" at CSU, then got fired at UF. Luckily for him, the new AD at CMU worked w/ him at Alabama and had a relationship with him - that's how he landed that job (and I suspect he gets run out of there within 4 years). If it was his first firing I could see landing another job, but not two. Then again, like you said, AD's are retards.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Thank goodness The Barn rallied and helped the league save a bit of face.

I think Fulmer needs to pull a Barry Alvarez at UcheaT. It's about the only play they have left to try and not completely lose their fanbase.

Duncechump. Classic garbage by him I saw in Charlotte yesterday. SC fans have had it with him. Tanner extended him and the staff through 2023 after the Michigan bowl win in Tampa in January, 2018. His buyout is currently only $3.5 million. Pennies compared to Foley's incompetence that bought him that mansion on Lake Murray.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think Fulmer needs to pull a Barry Alvarez at UcheaT. It's about the only play they have left to try and not completely lose their fanbase.

From what I’ve seen, vol fans are convinced that it was Fulmer who killed some of the possible deals like Leach, feeling he knew best. I have no idea if they’re right or not, but they don’t seem to trust his judgement at all.

They’re just stuck, and I’m not sure there’s any way out for a while. When there’s a character smearing mutiny by fans and you becomes so unattractive as a job that you have to settle for your 12th or 13th candidate, who you know was on no one’s radar as a potential head coach, you can’t just throw the towel in after a season or two because he’s “in over his head”. Of course he is, but you put him there because no one else wanted the job. The last search was a national spotlight of all the reasons that the ut job just isn’t what it once was and likely never will be again. For them to do anything prior to close of 2021, would kill any shred of respectability they have.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
"were up 20-9 and then had a holding call..."

yeah, that's the reason for the comeback. tard hasn't learned a damn thing. Complete idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.