Shane Matthews to provide football color commentary

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe it's reverse psychology. We'll spend so much energy hating on Shane, we won't have much energy left for the guy that isn't Mick. Brilliant!

I completely agree with this.

But I can't take you seriously until you redo your avatar in the proper pixel format. As is, it's all stretched out and makes me think I'm hammered drunk.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Will they be setting up broadcasting equipment from his halfway house?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I guess this is quite the promotion from the chain gang

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
looney tunes animation GIF

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
QB our first SEC title. SEC player of the year twice. Stayed connected to the program ever since. Threw for a gazillion yards and lots of TD passes. Yeah, I love the guy. Always will. I never needed a color guy, radio guy or tv guy to tell me what I was watching........haters hating makes the world go round............

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
QB our first SEC title. SEC player of the year twice. Stayed connected to the program ever since. Threw for a gazillion yards and lots of TD passes. Yeah, I love the guy. Always will. I never needed a color guy, radio guy or tv guy to tell me what I was watching........haters hating makes the world go round............
All that is true ... but ...

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I have seen him around town a few times and I came away with the same impression. He comes across like a miserable guy that’s close to losing the will to live.
I hope he cheers up in time for the football season.

Good thing this wasn't his gig the last year of Dan Mullen.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Y'all acting like he banged your girlfriend in 1992 or something.

First of all, that SECCG INT wasn't Shane's fault. Monty Duncan didn't come back to the ball. It should have been a catch or more likely an incompletion (or maybe a PI). The only reason it was an INT was because Monty stood there waiting for the ball. SOS was furious at Monty. After that play, my only memories of Monty Duncan are of him working the door and bouncing at the Porpoise.

Anyway...I had Shane come speak at a couple Gator Club events. He was easy to work with (Doering was a fcuking greedy prima donna), Shane was friendly, pleasant, went above and beyond to interact with fans, sign stuff, pose for pictures, etc. He also made a good presentation. Not crazy high energy Steve Addazio or Ron Zook style, he's soft-spoken and still has that Pascagoula accent. He had good stories, stuff you didn't already know, and no coach-speak BS. He was in the NFL forever under lots of coaches and systems so he really understands the Xs and Os. He's not always right (I distinctly remember him thinking Brantley was going to be the next great Gator QB), but he understands the game.

Of course, this was before his buddy Monte Grow got him involved in a criminal scheme. Shane needs to avoid dudes named Monty or Monte, never ends well for him. I haven't had any contact with him since then, never listened to his podcast or anything so maybe you guys are right about him today. I don't know, I only know what he was like in the past.

Would I rather have Batesy doing color (or PxP)? Hell yeah. But look at who we've had doing color in the past...James Jones, Nat Moore(s), Scot Brantley, Lee McGriff... Let's just hope he'll be an improvement.

Alex.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good for Shane but don;t really care b/c I don;t listen to games on radio and color guy is irrelevant. Play by play guy is either good or not.

Two things about Shane. He said numerous times that Cousin Eddie was a good play caller (Cousin Eddie was a shyt play caller)

And from people who I met while living locally that knew Shane say he is one of the dumbest people they ever knew. But that does not mean he can't be radio color guy.

Always remember no one will ever be Nat Moore!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Y'all acting like he banged your girlfriend in 1992 or something.

First of all, that SECCG INT wasn't Shane's fault. Monty Duncan didn't come back to the ball. It should have been a catch or more likely an incompletion (or maybe a PI). The only reason it was an INT was because Monty stood there waiting for the ball. SOS was furious at Monty. After that play, my only memories of Monty Duncan are of him working the door and bouncing at the Porpoise.

Anyway...I had Shane come speak at a couple Gator Club events. He was easy to work with (Doering was a fcuking greedy prima donna), Shane was friendly, pleasant, went above and beyond to interact with fans, sign stuff, pose for pictures, etc. He also made a good presentation. Not crazy high energy Steve Addazio or Ron Zook style, he's soft-spoken and still has that Pascagoula accent. He had good stories, stuff you didn't already know, and no coach-speak BS. He was in the NFL forever under lots of coaches and systems so he really understands the Xs and Os. He's not always right (I distinctly remember him thinking Brantley was going to be the next great Gator QB), but he understands the game.

Of course, this was before his buddy Monte Grow got him involved in a criminal scheme. Shane needs to avoid dudes named Monty or Monte, never ends well for him. I haven't had any contact with him since then, never listened to his podcast or anything so maybe you guys are right about him today. I don't know, I only know what he was like in the past.

Would I rather have Batesy doing color (or PxP)? Hell yeah. But look at who we've had doing color in the past...James Jones, Nat Moore(s), Scot Brantley, Lee McGriff... Let's just hope he'll be an improvement.

Alex.
Thanks Mrs. Matthews!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
All that is true ... but ...

The 1984 team called and said you aren't a real Gator.
Well, it was a trailerbama home game for that first SEC Chmmp game. And nobody celebrated that 84 title harder than me......in fact the officer told me to get back in my car on Univ Ave. I still have shirts and bottles and tags from the 84 title. And for all those competing to trash a gator legend I will leave you with this..........
Matthews accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, and was the starting quarterback for the Gators teams under coach Steve Spurrier from 1990 to 1992.[4] In Matthews' first season as a starter in 1990, the Gators finished 9–2 overall and a league best record of 6–1 in the Southeastern Conference (SEC); in his second season in 1991, the Gators finished 10–2 overall and 7–0 in the SEC, winning their first official SEC football championship.[4][5] Matthews set a new Gators team record for career passing yards (later surpassed), finished fifth in the 1991 Heisman Trophy voting as a junior, and was a first-team All-SEC selection in 1990, 1991 and 1992.[4][6] He finished his college career having completed 722 of 1,202 attempts for 9,287 yards and seventy-four touchdowns, and was a team captain and the Gators' most valuable player during his final season.[4] He led the SEC in passing for three consecutive years (1990–1992), and finished with a career efficiency rating of 137.6.[4]

Matthews graduated from Florida with a bachelor's degree in business administration in 1997, and he was inducted into the University of Florida Athletic Hall of Fame as a "Gator Great" in 2002

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He's slime.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, it was a trailerbama home game for that first SEC Chmmp game. And nobody celebrated that 84 title harder than me......in fact the officer told me to get back in my car on Univ Ave. I still have shirts and bottles and tags from the 84 title. And for all those competing to trash a gator legend I will leave you with this..........

As usual, you’re creating a firestorm out of thin air. No one is trashing him. He was a great QB for us and a part of some historic wins. Some may or may not like his personality. Not that big of a deal. He also did some time. Also not a big deal.

I’ll also add this. Ironically, that loss to Alabama may have been the one that put the SEC officially on notice about what was to come more than any other. After we’d dismantled them a year prior(I was there, no police required in my case, just fyi) they badly wanted revenge and have talked about it. And to make it worse, we’d sustained so many injuries while they were at their peak. A look at the um game is what that game should’ve been, and what they wanted. Instead they had to hang on for dear life and needed a history making play to even advance. If anyone wasn’t completely petrified at what Spurrier was doing at UF before that game, they were after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.