Shane Matthews to provide football color commentary

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Also, this team had Charlie Strong, Ron Zook and Bob Pruett all on defense/special teams and our D was phenomenal but this was such a hard year to stomach.
UF started off ranked #1 and played the first two games at a 70 point pace, each. They then went into TN and blanked UT. However, they lost to a #6 ranked Auburn squad, away, and then rolled into Tallahassee ranked #4 and tied with a #7 FSU team 31-31, only to roll into Atlanta for a 1 point win over #3 Alabama then turned around and lost the "Fifth Quarter in the French Quarter", to finish...
Week 16 (Final) 3January '95
Nebraska (13–0)
Penn State (12–0)
Colorado (11–1)
Florida State (10–1–1)
Alabama (12–1)
Miami (FL) (10–2)
Florida (10–2–1)
Texas A&M (10–0–1)
Auburn (9–1–1)
Utah (10–2)
This team should've won the Natty. Lost to Auburn at HOME by 3 points with I think like 6 turnovers. Then blew the game in tallacrappy. Had we not blew those games, wonder who we'd played in the Sugar Bowl? I think Nebraska always had ties to the Orange Bowl, and Penn St the Rose Bowl. Of course we'd have likely on gotten a split title, with 2 other big time teams being undefeated, but it would be another title.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I listened to the radio call last night, I thought it was funny when it was over that Shane acknowledge that he finally got to call a winning Gator game. Every time that bastard was on there last year we lost. LOL

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They were doing the pregame in Reitz and I happened to walk by during a commercial break and Matthews had a WTF am I doing here look on his face. I actually was focused on where I was going and didn’t really notice the broadcast table until I came upon it. I was startled to see Matthews and when I recognized him, I automatically nodded my head and said, “hey.” (We were maybe 5-7 feet apart.). He just glared at me. :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They were doing the pregame in Reitz and I happened to walk by during a commercial break and Matthews had a WTF am I doing here look on his face. I actually was focused on where I was going and didn’t really notice the broadcast table until I came upon it. I was startled to see Matthews and when I recognized him, I automatically nodded my head and said, “hey.” (We were maybe 5-7 feet apart.). He just glared at me. :lol:
You probably reminded him of a prosecutor.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Always heard the guy was a dick in person. At least he raped Ugay for three years though.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I listened to the radio call last night, I thought it was funny when it was over that Shane acknowledge that he finally got to call a winning Gator game. Every time that bastard was on there last year we lost. LOL
Now he's Shane Matthewws.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, I listened to the radio call as well. Kelley was alright but he's no Mick Hubert that's for sure. Some of the play calling was somewhat low key. I DID however, like his call on that Burney interception. I think he might actually get it about what it means to be a Gator after hearing it. Let's hope he warms into the job more and more with each game.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Yeah, I listened to the radio call as well. Kelley was alright but he's no Mick Hubert that's for sure. Some of the play calling was somewhat low key. I DID however, like his call on that Burney interception. I think he might actually get it about what it means to be a Gator after hearing it. Let's hope he warms into the job more and more with each game.

Meh. Definitely no Mick. Nobody's going to remember those as classic calls. He needs a catchphrase or something.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Meh. Definitely no Mick. Nobody's going to remember those as classic calls. He needs a catchphrase or something.
Yeah it sounded weird without the oh my call. However, I’m not a fan of catch phrases typically. He’ll get better I bet

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
No need for a catch phrase just yet, but stunned silence doesn't work well on radio either. Get it together, Sean!

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
A catch phrase that really works, is oftentimes born accidentally and not planned. Usually you can tell when an announcer plans their own unique phrase or trademark. So many times too we've heard legendary calls not using any kind of catch phrase, but rather something said that will stick forever, even if only used that once.
"Green's behind the defense" was used only once, but we ALL know what that means. FSU-97-Awesome play. One of the top 2 or 3 in Gator history.
"Doering's got a touchdown.(repeat)" almost in a panicked, yet disbelief cry...used once and legendary not just for the win, but for establishing Danny in Gator lore, and of course a come from behind win at UK.

"We stepped on their face with a hobnail boot and broke their nose"...granted, it's UGA but no matter what school you're a fan of--you KNOW that call and play, and know it's Larry Munson.

There are too many to list and of course cover so many schools, but the point is he needs a classic "moment" where he delivers an epic call that will make his mark. The catch phrase typically comes out of one of those moments by sheer accident. I think I read/heard where Mick's "Oh My" was sort of a impromptu thing he blurted out that just stuck and then grew to be his trademark.

That dude that used to call Auburn's games--I think he planned his catch phrase, and it kinda showed. His "Touchdooooooown Auburnnnnnn" could not have been an accident. You really would have to plan on stretching that thing as long as he did. It worked for him no doubt but it didn't sound to me like a spur of the moment phrase.

Our new guy will come up with something. Just takes time. I'm sure Mick's didn't happen his first game(unless he was F-ing up something during the game he was calling and forgot his mic was hot and blurted out "Oh My" instead of "Oh Chit"(Like Herbie did yesterday on Game Day live. Or Corso's "Fvch it" on Game Day that time) Both were hilarious but will NOT establish a acceptable catchphrase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.