Shane Matthews to provide football color commentary

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
As usual, you’re creating a firestorm out of thin air. No one is trashing him. He was a great QB for us and a part of some historic wins. Some may or may not like his personality. Not that big of a deal. He also did some time. Also not a big deal.

I’ll also add this. Ironically, that loss to Alabama may have been the one that put the SEC officially on notice about what was to come more than any other. After we’d dismantled them a year prior(I was there, no police required in my case, just fyi) they badly wanted revenge and have talked about it. And to make it worse, we’d sustained so many injuries while they were at their peak. A look at the um game is what that game should’ve been, and what they wanted. Instead they had to hang on for dear life and needed a history making play to even advance. If anyone wasn’t completely petrified at what Spurrier was doing at UF before that game, they were after.
Well said!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Shane should do A top notch job , was wanting Cardozo to take over for Mick but it is what it is !

Cardozo?

Are You Sure Come On GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I just hope he stays away from the garbage. I don’t want any more of that. And you know what I mean. I'm not talking about what he did inside. He did what he had to do. I'm talking about now, from now, here and now. I also hope he doesn’t take too many chances like Jimmy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe he could entertain us by telling stories of what it's like in the "big house". Tales of the Sisters constantly after him, etc.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
All that is true ... but ...

Everyone wants to rip him for the pick-6 that cost us the first conference championship title game in '92. But something I've been thinking about the last several days (and crazy that ESPN posted an article about this very thing this morning) is that if Shane hadn't thrown that interception, Florida probably wouldn't have won the 1996 National Championship. Let me illustrate:

The majority of the SEC (and college football as a whole) was against the idea of adding a conference championship game to the end of the season. 'Bama was especially pissed off about this, due to it making it seemingly that much harder to win a national title. That 1992 SEC title game was a trial run. If 'Bama had lost (and thus lost their national title hopes), it's highly likely the SEC wouldn't have continued with a conference title game. And other conferences then wouldn't have followed suit. Remember, the Big 12 added their own title game next in 1996 and because of this (thank you, Texas!) and our offensive onslaught against the Tide in the '96 title game (along with Ohio State's upset of ASU), we were eventually able to play the rematch with FSWho for the defacto national championship game.

If 'Bama loses that game, no conference title games for us or anyone and no 52-20, then now and always the greatest game ever.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone wants to rip him for the pick-6 that cost us the first conference championship title game in '92. But something I've been thinking about the last several days (and crazy that ESPN posted an article about this very thing this morning) is that if Shane hadn't thrown that interception, Florida probably wouldn't have won the 1996 National Championship. Let me illustrate:

The majority of the SEC (and college football as a whole) was against the idea of adding a conference championship game to the end of the season. 'Bama was especially pissed off about this, due to it making it seemingly that much harder to win a national title. That 1992 SEC title game was a trial run. If 'Bama had lost (and thus lost their national title hopes), it's highly likely the SEC wouldn't have continued with a conference title game. And other conferences then wouldn't have followed suit. Remember, the Big 12 added their own title game next in 1996 and because of this (thank you, Texas!) and our offensive onslaught against the Tide in the '96 title game (along with Ohio State's upset of ASU), we were eventually able to play the rematch with FSWho for the defacto national championship game.

If 'Bama loses that game, no conference title games for us or anyone and no 52-20, then now and always the greatest game ever.
Nice post. I read the same article.

I don't put "blame" on Mathews for the int ... It's just when I hear his name it takes me back to that int. That's the first thing I recall. When I hear Doeirings name I think of the KY TD. Graham - Docket. Wright - OK hit. Certain events deifine (in my mind) a players career.

Mathews (for me) will always be that int. :dunno:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

It’s a valid point. Bottom line, he was a huge part of building UF into what it became. One Int, one game, one prison tat doesn’t change that.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Nice post. I read the same article.

I don't put "blame" on Mathews for the int ... It's just when I hear his name it takes me back to that int. That's the first thing I recall. When I hear Doeirings name I think of the KY TD. Graham - Docket. Wright - OK hit. Certain events deifine (in my mind) a players career.

Mathews (for me) will always be that int. :dunno:

100% agree. L. Wright hit on Kent is literally the thing that turned me from a casual sports fan into a die hard one.

And don't get me started on Dockett. That will forever piss me off until my last breath on this earth. Still hoping that POS gets run over by a tractor trailer (on foot).

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
L. Wright hit on Kent is literally the thing that turned me from a casual sports fan into a die hard one.
It's funny you say this, because attending that game in 1995 (and seeing that hit, among other things) and sitting in the UT section is literally the thing that turned me from a casual Gator fan into a die hard one.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
It's funny you say this, because attending that game in 1995 (and seeing that hit, among other things) and sitting in the UT section is literally the thing that turned me from a casual Gator fan into a die hard one.

That's kinda what I mean. Gator football is where I went die-hard first. And then it snowballed into other sports.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And btw, I was at that ‘95 ut game as a 15 year old kid, nursing the worst hangover I’d ever had to that point. The rain, and the cooldown it brought, was as critical to me and my survival as it was to the game’s outcome.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Morgan Freeman voice over, too?
Im Out Morgan Freeman GIF

"I have to remind myself that some gators aren't meant to be caged. Their chomp is just too big. And when they swim away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. Still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss Shane."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator