Shane Matthews to provide football color commentary

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's funny you say this, because attending that game in 1995 (and seeing that hit, among other things) and sitting in the UT section is literally the thing that turned me from a casual Gator fan into a die hard one.
Sitting there and witnessing that live. I thought he might not get up.....ever.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Sitting there and witnessing that live. I thought he might not get up.....ever.

The real beauty of that hit is that it's still legal today unless it's a third down play for Bama anywhere or Auburn at Jordan-Hare.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I don't put "blame" on Mathews for the int ... It's just when I hear his name it takes me back to that int. That's the first thing I recall. When I hear Doeirings name I think of the KY TD. Graham - Docket. Wright - OK hit. Certain events deifine (in my mind) a players career.

Mathews (for me) will always be that int. :dunno:
You sly dog you. :fistbump:

Now we know who stole the "i's" from FSU.
:rotfl:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Shane should do A top notch job , was wanting Cardozo to take over for Mick but it is what it is !

You wanted who? A guy who defended MacNuss to the death? A guy who literally screamed at Gator fans on air for questioning MacNuss’s genius? A guy who said that by beating Vandy, yes f*cking Vandy, would show the greatness of MacNuss?

Yea, hard pass. Don’t need a BASEBALL guy who gaslights Gators by telling them they aren’t seeing what they’re seeing and is supportive of the “Gidiot” narrative.

I have my issues at times listening to Shane, but this dude doesn’t mind saying what he sees as good or bad.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The sound was indescribable.
I knew he had back to back years on just knocking the Fuchs out of UToothless DB's. Check this one out from '94 on Toothless' Courtney Epps. You'll have to go to the 1:01;24 part of the video.

He hit him right in front of where we were sitting that game. Loved it.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I knew he had back to back years on just knocking the Fuchs out of UToothless DB's. Check this one out from '94 on Toothless' Courtney Epps. You'll have to go to the 1:01;24 part of the video.

And shows the first start for UT's true freshman big-head QB (around the 1:33:xx mark) that went 0-4 vs the Gators. :snicker:

1660922081944.png

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
You wanted who? A guy who defended MacNuss to the death? A guy who literally screamed at Gator fans on air for questioning MacNuss’s genius? A guy who said that by beating Vandy, yes f*cking Vandy, would show the greatness of MacNuss?

Yea, hard pass. Don’t need a BASEBALL guy who gaslights Gators by telling them they aren’t seeing what they’re seeing and is supportive of the “Gidiot” narrative.

I have my issues at times listening to Shane, but this dude doesn’t mind saying what he sees as good or bad.
totally agree. Cardozo sucks. His show with fat Dooley is not listenable.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Also, this team had Charlie Strong, Ron Zook and Bob Pruett all on defense/special teams and our D was phenomenal but this was such a hard year to stomach.
UF started off ranked #1 and played the first two games at a 70 point pace, each. They then went into TN and blanked UT. However, they lost to a #6 ranked Auburn squad, away, and then rolled into Tallahassee ranked #4 and tied with a #7 FSU team 31-31, only to roll into Atlanta for a 1 point win over #3 Alabama then turned around and lost the "Fifth Quarter in the French Quarter", to finish...
Week 16 (Final) 3January '95
Nebraska (13–0)
Penn State (12–0)
Colorado (11–1)
Florida State (10–1–1)
Alabama (12–1)
Miami (FL) (10–2)
Florida (10–2–1)
Texas A&M (10–0–1)
Auburn (9–1–1)
Utah (10–2)

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
A Gator physics class should come up with a formula for the force it took for Kent to suddenly fly backwards.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The sound was indescribable.
Biggest momentum swing I’ve ever seen and felt. The cheering lasted through the next play, where Danny fumbled and Ut scooped and scored. Didn’t matter. The roar continued. Momentum didn’t shift back despite the Vols on hand got excited. It was over. Down 17 & won by 25. Craziest swing ever.

Later, Fulmer whined about how we ran the score up.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

He hit him right in front of where we were sitting that game. Loved it

I threw that up on my big screen, and had a really good time watching the first half this afternoon. Thank you. I will finish it tomorrow.

It reminded me that what Napier is saying is true. We really need to focus on getting the top players in Florida, and within a 350 to 500 mile radius of The Swamp to truly be successful. We need to win the recruiting battles here in state, box out Alabama and Georgia and Ohio State and whoever else. That would be plenty to just win and win big. . Kevin Carter. Ellis Johnson. Fred Taylor. Reidel. Doering. Plenty here.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I threw that up on my big screen, and had a really good time watching the first half this afternoon. Thank you. I will finish it tomorrow.

It reminded me that what Napier is saying is true. We really need to focus on getting the top players in Florida, and within a 350 to 500 mile radius of The Swamp to truly be successful. We need to win the recruiting battles here in state, box out Alabama and Georgia and Ohio State and whoever else. That would be plenty to just win and win big. . Kevin Carter. Ellis Johnson. Fred Taylor. Reidel. Doering. Plenty here.

‘94 ut was a less heralded shellacking of them. Beautiful night.

On a related note, not as glamour or known as Wright in ‘95, Wright ‘08 or Jarvis in ‘86, but RFN’s hit on uga’s Mohamed Massoquoi in 2005 not only saves a TD but splits Massoquoi’s cheek requiring an immediate ER trip and stitches. There’s also video of plays in 2006 where MM completely stops on a route because RFN is there. A full 12 months later and he was still terrified. Doesn’t get enough attention.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I jumped on the bandwagon when Spurrier led the gators to an Orange Bowl win over Georgia Tech at the end of the ‘66 season.
Newbies.
I was watching with my grandfather when SOS came into the game against SMU as a sophomore in '64, with UF leading 10-8. As I recall, Steve hit a big TD pass to Jack Harper and led Florida to 14 second half points and a solid 24-8 win. I've been a Spurrier fan ever since.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

I thought the best part of that game was Manning's first college TD pass getting called back followed by missed FG. Best hit of the game mighta been the shutout saving lick Danny W put on Parker after the INT at the end of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator