Sam Bruce would be a great win.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n218861 said:
I don't know. But I can tell you that this class is strange. We're taking a bunch of kids that shouldn't have commitable offers yet.
This is a big mystery to me too. I know we have room for a big class next year, but geez, we are Florida and to be grabbing no stars and 3 stars right and left when we need to restock with quality because the last staff filled us with 3 stars because they landed very few of the top recruits.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n218925 said:
This is a big mystery to me too. I know we have room for a big class next year, but geez, we are Florida and to be grabbing no stars and 3 stars right and left when we need to restock with quality because the last staff filled us with 3 stars because they landed very few of the top recruits.

"We don't pay any attention to stars at The University of Florida"; some looser once said

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;218973 said:
So should we be panicking yet or not?

Not yet. We have a ton of four and five star talents targeted right now.

Dec 10, 2014
GatorJ;n218978 said:
Not yet. We have a ton of four and five star talents targeted right now.

You have to have bodies to get the four and five star guys in. Four and five star recruits aren't just thinking about an SEC or National Championship. They are thinking NFL. They're not going to a place where they feel there is no supporting cast. I think this newest verbal is a very troubling sign, but as somebody said (even if facetiously) "it's only May."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not really a lot better. Better than in December, yes.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not a big deal IMO. I'm assuming we will be able to take a HUGE class in 2016. As much as some folks on here talk about us being down I still think they believe because we are UF that 4 and 5 star talent should be signing their LOI in May....News flash people WE ARE REBUILDING :shocked: and as sad as it is we HAVE to take what we can get until the coaches show that they can win....If they do the better HS players will start showing more interest come October-November. It is what it is. Better yet, let me ask if you were a highly ranked HS player, would you commit to UF before you saw what the coaches were capable of?
As far as this kid goes he is a little small right now but looks to be a pretty good player on offense and defense. He also plays in a very talent rich region so perhaps he's been over looked or hasn't camped much. How big was Percy Harvin, Chris Rainey, Amhad Black or Quinton Dunbar when they came here?? All of them were recruited by UM, so maybe the new coaches see something in this kid. Who knows he may end up being good or he may end up being like 90 percent of all other kids who end up playing CFB, irrelevant. Much to do about nothing is what I'm trying to say.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n218987 said:
And things ended a lot better than they were in May, yeah?

Hell yes, because we have a different coach than we had in May.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n218995 said:
Hell yes, because we have a different coach than we had in May.
Checkmate.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The sky is falling. I guess future recruits saw the latest NFL draft and saw UF with two first rounders along with many others that went. A non-rated DB from south fla is not a sign of the apocalypse. Here is an idea. He goes to school with some big STARS and this is sort of an inroad into that territory. Or maybe Shannon is smarter than some of those recruiting magazines and sees a player. Either way there is a long way to go and they did a decent if not damned good job salvaging the last class with little time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n218991 said:
How big was Percy Harvin, Chris Rainey, Amhad Black or Quinton Dunbar when they came here??
Strange list. Percy Harvin was considered they "must have" recruit. The elite of the 5 stars. We had quite a battle for him with all the then elite teams.

Rainey and Black were part of the Ocala Gatornaughts. They were basically afterthoughts and the Pounceys were considered the prize.

Dunbar was filler (and played like it).

EDIT: Ooops. Literally, how "big" like how tall and heavy. My bad.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Rainey and Black were part of the Ocala Gatornaughts. Lakeland Naughts

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n219000 said:
Strange list. Percy Harvin was considered they "must have" recruit. The elite of the 5 stars. We had quite a battle for him with all the then elite teams.

Rainey and Black were part of the Ocala Gatornaughts. They were basically afterthoughts and the Pounceys were considered the prize.

Dunbar was filler (and played like it).

The list was based strictly off size although with the exception of Dunbar there isn't one that I wouldn't love for this kid to play like. The common thread being they were all about a buck sixty when playing HS ball. We need numbers anyway so why not take him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look, if we go out and grab 30 kids like we need and the rest seem to be top talent, then evrryone will be happy. Even the always optimistic Zach doesn't think we are in on many of the 5 star or high 4 star kids. I expect us to poach Miami's top talent but the Clowns are circling them, too. It is early but I'm wondering (not really looking at the resumes with the exception of our line coaches) why the rest of the staff can't even manage to land a single damn recruit. No different than in January or February really.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n219008 said:
why the rest of the staff can't even manage to land a single damn recruit.
I think it's the state of the program more than the coaches......If the coaches pull 7 or 8 wins out of their asses the kids will come. I'm quite worried we might stop getting the uber talented defensive players like we have over the last 4 or 5 years because we are still going to need them while Mac tries to fix this train wreck of an offense....I don't see it happening in one season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator