Show recommendation thread

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I did. Finished all damn 8 seasons. Biggest takeaway is not to binge an 8 season show in the short time frame I took it on....my arse is killing me from sitting too much (and work ain't real happy either). Without knowing where/when the books drop off and the show writers started winging it...it's noticeable. There is a clear shift after about s4.

I'll give partial credit for NOT throwing new characters in all the way up to the end as other (Ozark) shows have done to move the story along. And, I'll give kudos for managing and entwining so many characters and story lines to keep the interactions somewhat fresh and interesting. BUT, this had and endgame which other shows (Ozark, Stranger Things) didn't seem to be moving towards, which rewards the viewer with a clear destination. Maybe it was my arse, maybe it was the show, but the war with the undead both lived up to the hype and expectation AND seemed to drag on a bit more than needed. The last few episodes seemed to be trying to tie up character stories, determine who to kill off and who lives and does what. Endings never leave people happy, but I was ready for it to end and won't complain much about how they went about it. I think part of my problem is the length. I kept wanting to feel like a movie with the expected finale, but it kept going, and going, and going. Again, an 8 season binge is not advised.

Were there characters I felt were handled wrong, or poorly, in the end, somewhat. Jon Snow is a btch, having dodged his destiny but ending up where he did. I wanted to like the Kingslayer more, but he got his appropriate ending; and Cersie should have been dealt with more harshly. While I appreciate the irony of the Hound catching up to the Mountain and after having fought the undead, and their ending is probably appropriate, it still kinda sucked in that he came around to be a 'good guy' and ended up that way. Arya's whole 'coming of age' getting f'd in the war to end all wars then heading off for the uncharted world is trying too hard with a character who was still too young/small, IMO. Sansa is a bitch too. Yeah, she upheld the North but she's still a btch. Mother of Dragons shifting her mindset over the final episodes wasn't expected, but not out of the likely endings...she was hot, but it seemed she was more a mechanism to end things than having any sort of point or meaning. I'd hit it, twice. Perhaps my fav coming out of the whole thing was the Night King, when he raised all the dead it kinda was a 'fk yeah' scene, but when he dragged the one dead body from the lake and revived it that was more of a 'no fn way! (YEAH!!)' type thing. Well played. Expected, but well played. Anyone else...f'em, not worth remembering. Oh, and Bronn, he was a fav thru the last several seasons with his honey badger attitude to most things, including his ending situation. Imp was perhaps the centerpiece of the cast, and while done very well through a myriad of situations and evolutions, I was still left with a 'meh' regarding his ending.

Noticeably different from the first 4 seasons. You get about one scene every 3-4 episodes, some good, none really bad other than a side boob of Arya (never wanted to see that). Perhaps the best is when Cersie is marched through the city bare arsed nekkid.
The over riding problem was that without GRRM's books D&D focused instead on big scenes even though they did not provide the character motivations for the scene.
There are soo many but I'll start with a few.
Brianne: Was kept alive only to be seen at the end writing in the book about Jamie. Brianne's character arc ended after she was knighted by Jamie. She, like many others, should have died in the Long night.
Jamie: First of all he and Brianne having sex was totally for the fans who had been "shipping" the two since the beginning. Never mind that Jamie is out of Brianne's league. Jamie returning to Cersei was entirely out of character. Jamie had a seven season redemption arc that was just tossed out the window to "subvert expectations".
Glegan Bowl: More fan service. The Mountain was for all intents and purposes dead. What remained was a zombie. GRRM doesn't go down that path but the fans were screaming for it so we got it. The scene was visually cool but logically made no sense. Hell the Mountain probably survived the fall.
Bron: Even more fan service. Bron's a minor character in the book and D&D obviously didn't know what to do with him. Bron, a shady, greedy character, who doesn't know how loans work, is made Master of Coins. Tyrion promises him Highgarden, one of the most valuable territories in the Kingdom, regardless that their are still heirs to that House.
Gendry: Dirtto, made the head of a House that has heirs.
Arya: Another case of D&D not knowing what to do with a character. This is where they just started gong in to stupid territory. There's no way Arya survives multiple gut stabs, falling in the sewer, then doing parcor all over town. Even in GoT people die from that shyt. Drogo died of a flesh wound. Robert killed by a pig. People aren't Supers in GoT. Then she just walks away from Bravos with no repercussions for leaving the Faceless Men with all the secrets. Arya killing the Night King was maybe the biggest misstep in the show.

I haven't even gotten to the major characters or plot lines. What made Seasons 1-4 great was that everything tied together. Every scene was a clue to what might happen later so you had to pay attention. Then when something happened you could look back a few seasons and tie it together. All that was lost.

GRRM's big picture plot was that the "Game of Thrones" was meaningless in comparison to "Winter Coming". The White Walkers were the true villain of the show. Bran was very important but not because the Night King (who doesn't exist in the books) wanted to end his "stories". D&D purposely scaled back his role because they were trying to not emphasize the magic in the books. However they have no problem magically teleporting people all over the content.
Speaking of magically teleporting, that whole Great White Walker Robbery episode was stupid from top to bottom. Where did they get chains to pull Blue outta the water. We are told they can't swim but apparently no one told them. They also forgot that the mark on Bran's arm removed the magic from the wall so the White Walkers could pass without destroying the wall. But it made for better TV to have Blue do it.

And then Season 8 happened. Entire armies are destroyed in one episode and are back in the next. D&D were so anxious to be done that they assigned each episode to different writing teams. Obviously the teams didn't talk to each other because they forgot what happened in the previous episode.

TLDR
After season 4 the show slowly got worse. At first you let it slide but then the offenses kept piling up and up.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Watching Ep 8 right now.....kind of odd though that they took a month off just to come back for 2 more episodes....why not just release the whole season from the start? But I digress

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Watching Ep 8 right now.....kind of odd though that they took a month off just to come back for 2 more episodes....why not just release the whole season from the start? But I digress

Suspense. lol

Better Call Saul did the same thing. Part 2 starts back next week.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
This has probably been discussed but I'm not going back 37 pages...

Anyone watch 'The Crown'?
We just started season 3 and it's pretty danged good.

Also -

'The Man Who Fell to Earth' just wrapped Season 1. That was a gooder too.
Chiwetel Ejiofor can bring it... and the other lead...
Naomi Harris = a show of smoke.

1657147873706.jpeg

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Any other Queen of the South fans? It was a good series.

Billy the Kid on Prime, Epix if you have it, is looking pretty dang promising.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Good news! GRRM claims he is actually working Winds of Winter AND he recently said that the ending WILL be different. He says as he writes his characters organically take different paths.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Anyone watch The Terminal List with Chris Pratt on Amazon? I have heard good things

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Any other Queen of the South fans? It was a good series.

Billy the Kid on Prime, Epix if you have it, is looking pretty dang promising.

Billy the Kid is pretty good overall - hopefully it will continue on, but once Pat Garrett comes back (spoiler alert)...

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone watch The Terminal List with Chris Pratt on Amazon? I have heard good things
My wife and I are halfway through it. It's been one of the better new shows I've seen in a while, but I'll admit that I don't watch nearly as much tv as I used to.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
I'm wanting to watch The Undeclared War, but not sure how to gain access to Channel4.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Over the weekend, binged season 1 of "The Umbrella Academy" (Netflix). Based on a graphic novel, premise is one random day 39 or so women give birth at the same time - none of them were pregnant that morning. Some billionaire recluse goes about buying all he can, ends up with 7 and raises them to save the world. Each discovers a unique power, except one who is 'ordinary'. It has that current 'Netflix feel' where production is pretty well done, the actors are ok in their roles but only 2 really stood out to me. One who can conjure the dead (see them, speak with them), and one who can teleport but builds up the power to a point of time travel. Mr. Time Travel jumps ahead and discovers the world is destroyed. Early episodes focus on the rest of the kids, now adults, who come together after their father's death and try to make sense of his death and resolve their differences. About episode 3-4 we get to see what happened to Mr. Time Travel as he finds a way back and tries to enlist the family to stop the Armageddon. Kicker here is his conciousness is like 56y old, but he comes back into his 13y old body while is brothers and sisters are now early 30's or so. The future sends two hitman (Mary J Blige as "Cha Cha" and a fella as "Hazel"), who are commissioned to kill Mr. Time Travel and allow events to proceed as they should.

There are a lot of entwined story lines, everybody gets a moment to be the lynch pin to make things happen, the killers weave in and out of most folks' storylines and get a pretty decent story of their own, IMO. However as we reach the final episode, we've exhausted the character backstories, left several gaping holes in the overall wtf explanation (ie, how did their dad KNOW there was Armageddon coming?). I get that this is a graphic novel at heart, I get that season 1 is intended to set the stage for season 2 and others. However, the way it wrapped up, tells me they could make more episodes....but I really hope they don't. I'm not sure how much Mr. Time Travel is supposed to be the centerpiece - I know his coming back is key, and it brings assassins with it, but it felt like the ending said 'well, we will let him use his power one last time and hit the reset button again'. Which, to me, says anything that happens can be undone with another reset by travelling back again. While the story carried to the end, and moved along decently, this ending really turned me off. Cannot recommend for any Marvel or Comic Book type fans. Really, for any fans of anything. There are better uses of your time.

Seems I didn't report on S2, but just binged S3 of Umbrella Academy on Netflix.

S2 (going from memory) - S1 ended with Five (Mr. Time Jump) saving the family from apocalypse but drops them in varying years across the 60's in Texas. Allison (voice control over people) finds love and starts a family, Klaus (sees/speaks with dead) starts a commune, Vanya (Ellen -> Elliot Page, has inner super blast power) falls in love with a woman, and I forget the rest, Diego (great with knives) falls in love with a key character, Lila (mimics other's powers) while in an insane asylum, and I forget the rest but they all end up together again with the world once again hurtling towards apocalypse of which only they can save themselves. Basic premise is throw the box o'characters into a new setting, each gets a new sub-plot for the season but it's all end of the world again. Obviously, it didn't leave a strong impression on me. Ending, once again, is Five jumping them from the end of the world to another timeline...

S3 - they arrive in their family home...but....it's an alternate reality. Their father, rather than collecting them as infants and building the Umbrella Academy to save the world has instead collected different freaks and created the Sparrow Academy, and that family is all there with their powers. There is some rivalry, some distrust, some bridge building, some mixing of teams, as the sub-plots for the season are written, but it's more of a group plot this time than individual ones which dominates. I'm not expecting anyone to watch S2 or S3, so I don't mind spoiling this a bit, but we wrap up with the end of the universe and everything again. Surprise! Actually, there are some decent turns, as Diego+Lila have some wrinkles, they bring back Ben (deceased from their original family, alive and a total dick in t he Sparrow family), Vanya changes to Viktor (spoiler), and Klaus helps this reality's dad get better bonded with the family members as opposed to the absolute ashole he's been in the previous seasons (don't worry, he's still an ashole). Klaus was fun in this one, as was the visuals for the end of this reality, but of course they escape at the end to yet another timeline and reality.

Really, the only recommendation to make is if you like watching odd characters, but the apocolypse theme is their one-trick every season. S1 was a decent 'get to know 'em' to watch; S2 added a little depth to each; S3 brought in some other characters in a needed but also appreciated way then throws half the cast out at the end. There really isn't a lot to draw folks in. I've never read the graphic novels, and don't deeply love any of the characters....I'm more watching out of 'because it is there' at this point. Not 'run away from utter crap' but nothing to really recommend. 4/10 (bonus point for some of the visuals at each finale).

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I know there are good behind the scenes people in Pedowood....they need to start breaking away from Satan and start their own production companies so they can do what they want

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator