Show recommendation thread

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Wait... Rachel Ward isn't in the original shogun?

WTF?

Edit: Thornbirds. She was hot.
Famous People Celebrity GIF by PBS SoCal

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
BREEDERS on Hulu. British comedy series about the trials and tribulations of a couple raising their kids.

Well written and acted. 9/10.

"Breeders" explores the paradox experienced by nearly all parents, the willingness to die for one's children coupled with the near-constant desire to kill them.
breeders400.jpg

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Echo on Disney+

5 episodes, single season, Marvel. Basically a backstory for the character introduced in the Hawekeye series. The character is of native American descent, deaf, her father went to work for Kingpin and when her father died Kingpin raised her as his own, including how to fight and eventually kill for him. We have a very short cameo of the Netflix version of DareDevil, clips from the Hawkeye series showing Hawkeye as his later Ronin persona, and a heavy dose of Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin (seems made for this role).

I tried to watch for woke-ism in this, but given the character is actually female and native american...well, is that DEI-infusion? I'll cut them slack on this count. She does eventually realize she is descendent of Choctaw warriors, and they are within in her as she awakens to her power. All of those warriors were female....so.... Meanwhile the rest of the cast is relative nobodies (other than her grandpa you will recognize), so weak cast, and overall they are put in weak character roles. Episodes do justice to flesh in her background, her relationship with Kingpin, a decent amount of fight scenes (not great, but ok). They whole time, it felt like a JV production.

Only recommend for real die hard Marvel fans to fill in some gaps, but generally meh.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The Witcher (2019+) <Netflix>

I've tried a few times to watch The Witcher, but just cannot get into it yet.

Finally gave this one more go, ended up binging my way through all 3 current seasons and likeing it for the most part. Henry Cavill plays our main lead as the Witcher (children are essentially sent off for training, most die, those who survive drink potions and fight monsters for money without taking sides in things). He has done the role of Geralt great justice throughout the series, but it appears he is leaving now and they will bring in Thor's brother (I don't know which Hemsworth, but not Thor) to fill in the last 2 seasons. Unemotional, uninvolved, he does his jobs and moves on. The second main character is a female mage known as Yennefer (Yen), played by Anya Chalotra. The first season or so of her role is as some disfigured outcast child by her parents for less than they wanted for a pig. She turns out to be one of the most powerful mages ever, partners with Geralt with on again / off again sex and escapades. Third main character is Princess Ciri (Freya Allan) who becomes the target of everyone on the continent. Elves want her as the one of prophecy who will restore their kingdom, mages want her because she is the ultimate power, regular kings and such want her to capture her kingdom (without knowing her power). S1 is a bit scattered, introducing characters, S2+S3 focus in on Ciri being the focal point, I have no idea what they intend for S4&5.

What's done well in this is the CGI for monsters, and some of the magic, the character development and utilization of our main 3 but also the supporting dozen or so. It isn't gripping, more like medieval plodding along with moments of fighting. However, perhaps my favorite part of the whole thing is the writing in that with this wide cast of characters, they rarely interact as a group. Instead you follow the paths of several which criss-cross with others, so they have common points of contact but only part of the history/story. This allows for the viewer to be up on everything, but the characters to take some twists and turns along the way as things become revealed. Also, perhaps top 3 in aspects to like is the total transformation of Yen from mangled freak worse less tha a pig to a very attractive and powerful woman. What she went thru for the early episodes in terms of physical twisting and deformity ccannot be prosthetics alone, and she pulled it off very well.

What I didn't like is from the get-go we have a bard, Jaskier (Joey Batey) who would be the fourth of the core group but he stays outside the innermost circle a bit. But throughout these 3 seasons we see him as a womanizer, frequently, and then when he meets Geralt there is a hint of attraction. This is brought full force in S3 when he enters a gay relationship with a prince. I checked the references - there is no homo for this character in the stories, nor in the game, nowhere. This aspect is wholly an injection of LGTTQIA+ by Netflix, and Netflix alone. Also, in S3, there is a bad mage working with a female guard to kill a king...the lesbianism is completely pointless other than Netflix pushing that agenda.

I'll likely wacth S4&5, just because I have to finish things. But I'm expecting a notable drop off in losing our main actor and Netflix flexing more gay agenda. On the plus of this overall, lots o'titties. Just sayin.

Final verdict so far: 5/10, you need to like this genre for it to carry for you, in which case it does for the most part. It's not GoT, but it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator