SI Article: Samford debacle should be final nail in coffin for Mullen

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This will be unpopular but here goes

Mullen is not getting fired and really at this point does not deserve to be either.

Reasons are there are few if any better choices, he just had a great year last year, and his deficiencies (there are plenty) can be improved a lot. In addition his attitude can be improved and as with many others is not the most important part of his job. Some of the issues are related to the organization of football where the head coach thinks and acts as if he does not have a boss and can manipulate rumors to get money.

Here is a list not in any particular order

Mullen needs training in communications with the media, fans, etc., this includes changing his on field attitude and appearances.

Mullen needs better assistants and a process, the same one that say Saban uses. In addition he needs to know and act as if his job is very important, every part of it. He needs to know that his performance will be judged at the championship standards that we have set and to hold all his assistants to the same standards. If not well he should be gone.

As to our latest game I only listened, but it seemed that our team was not properly prepared to deal with their offense, nor properly led during the game. Somehow our best cornerback got beat on man coverage and needed to hold. how could that even be. It seemed our opponent understood that taking what you really can't stop is the best idea, they executed it very well. We got almost no pressure nor properly defensed QB runs. It almost looked like nobody even looked at film or tried to come up with a plan, perhaps that is what actually happened.

I never want to lose, and our offense did some decent things. Hopefully the players are motivated to play much better and the coaches will at least have a plan on defense.

We also have issues on special teams. Why don't we kick long avoiding any returns, and take the ball by fair catch every time. Analytics would indicate both are the best strategy at least this year.
So basically, Mullen just has to completely change who he is as a person and a coach and all will be great! :crazy:

Just my ignorant opinion, so consider that.
Oh trust us, we did.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
@ChiefGator , I will neither long cat your post nor dissect it line by line; it’s not necessary. The simple fact is that everything that is wrong with the team is Mullen’s fault. All of it. And at this point in his life, and given his personality, he is never, ever, going to change. The only (good) reason to keep him would be if there were some indication he will turn things around. Can you point to anything that would give you hope? I cannot. Next year’s roster will be less talented than this year’s. And the way things are going with recruiting, the following year’s will be worse than that.
At this point, the only viable option is to start over with someone new.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
These losses would be easier to take if Mullen wasn't such an insufferable arrogant, *******.

I think he has a touch of ambergers. Have never seen anyone who is so out of touch. Zero social awareness. Just frigging clueless.

Dancing after giving up 52 points to Samford?? That is a fireable offense right there, but the team would probably keep dancing with joy.

If we are going to be a 6 loss team, bring back ron Zook. He worked his ass off and at least was likeable. This MFer is lazy and despicable.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The narrative that noone could win at ms state and mullen did the best that anyone could ever do was always complete and total horsesht and disgusted me every time I heard it uttered by anyone. Pure loserspeak. Anyone who uttered that lazy excusefest can EABOD. That attitude is the reason we hired this useless turd.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Interestingly, regarding football, it was always said you can't win at Cowbell, but you don;t hear that same type of can't win theory at Ole Piss. Funny thing is, since the inception of the SECCG, the only original member of the SEC West who has never played in the SECCG is Ole Piss. Even Cowbell. yes Cowbell made the CG.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

We've survived plenty of coaching turnovers recently and been just fine the following year, despite not even hiring the right coach. It always looks worse than it turns out to be. This will be no exception.

Anyway the only people that pay attention to Tiktok are teenage girls, homosexuals, and my wife(dammit).

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Interestingly, regarding football, it was always said you can't win at Cowbell, but you don;t hear that same type of can't win theory at Ole Piss. Funny thing is, since the inception of the SECCG, the only original member of the SEC West who has never played in the SECCG is Ole Piss. Even Cowbell. yes Cowbell made the CG.

I was at that game.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Dan found his SugarTit dream job here, but he really should be in politics. He's a natural born snake oil salesman and a straight-faced liar. Remember "Gator Standard" and "Relentless Effort"? Just a bill of goods out of this maroon, it never meant jacksh!t to DannyBoy. Too bad; I think he had the tools to actually be a good HBC but didn't GAF and ruined his opportunity. Here we go again, time to pay the bill and start over.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
So basically, Mullen just has to completely change who he is as a person and a coach and all will be great! :crazy:

Hey, there are idiots today who think that through nothing but blind faith and force of will they can magically turn their pecker into a vagina. And, after watching Mullinz, I think that is more probable than him suddenly learning how to recruit, manage a team...etc.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The article said it's stunning how fast Mullen's fall has been...and I have to agree. I've never seen a coach plumment in the media as far and as fast as Mullen has. Article after article has been absolutely torching Mullen for weeks now with no end in sight.

I'm absolutely thrilled to see it because it shows him the door that much faster, but I really cannot think of a single time when a coach was publicly pilloried like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator