SI ragging on Foley

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ten years to the day of White’s ill-fated trip to Salt Lake City, Foley’s voyage to Fort Collins unfolded like a bungled modern coaching search, with fans and journalists live tweeting along the way. Foley waited a year too long to fire Muschamp and then proceeded to run a search without the same discretion and aggressiveness that allowed him to outfox Notre Dame a decade ago. We’ll reserve judgment on McElwain for what he does on the field. But the lost 2014 season at Florida and squandered opportunities for Foley to hire a more established and bigger name coach shows just how far he and the Gators have fallen.

How has Foley messed up things in the last decade? Let us count the ways. Start with the candidates Foley likely could have lured to Gainesville. There are four coaches with better track records and decisively more potential that Foley missed or ignored. The timing of Foley’s firing of Muschamp cost him a shot at Charlie Strong and James Franklin last year. For reasons that are still unclear, Foley ruled out Rich Rodriguez and Dan Mullen before this search even began. The result is the rest of the SEC snickering at Foley, who has two football flops -- Ron Zook and Muschamp -- and a Hall of Famer (Meyer) on his track record. McElwain deserves a shot, but there aren’t a lot of signs that he’s the next Meyer.
Lotsa truth there, except for the Dickrod Bowden and Mullett comments.

I think there are several who won't approve of a national media member failing to praise Fooley as the best AD in the history of forever.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's a hack job by SI standards.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
beteez;n124233 said:

LOL for some reason people on this board tend to think that the timing was wrong to hire Strong in 2010. I don't think that was the case at all (started a thread on this topic a month ago) and I appluad SI for throwing that in the article. This time around we were to late but in 2010 we could have got him (would have been a better fit than Muschamp imho). Now, we are hoping McElwain will lead us back to where we belong assuming we can pull him away from CSU.

Free Gator

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In the back of my mind I wonder if Foley is run off or fired would Billy D be more likely to leave as well.

beteez

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Foley hires McElwain, there will be high fives of celebration, as the move looms as intimidating as a Powder Puff prevent defense. (Can't you imagine Steve Spurrier already getting his one-liners ready for media day?)

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't know our facilities were that bad???

Darthgator

Aug 18, 2014
Our facilities aren't that bad. If they aren't bad, it gives less juice to the story.

Has that moron ever set foot on UFs campus? Has he ever Tebowed in front of the statue?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In today's CFB world, not having an indoor practice facility somehow equates to having "bad facilities." :rolleyes:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n124247 said:
Lotsa truth there, except for the Dickrod Bowden and Mullett comments.

I think there are several who won't approve of a national media member failing to praise Fooley as the best AD in the history of forever.
Why, because he's hired some good softball, volley ball, and track coaches? He's showing what a clown he is and the guy got it just right.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
SInce the 21 century began JF has been our AD (and long before). We are just talking the last 14 years. UF has two national titles in football and basketball along with much success and other titles in other sports our university sponsors. We are ALWAYS top three in the Sears Cup. We almost always win the SEC when all sports are considered. Just considering the four titles in the BIG two sports NO OTHER school comes close. But in this world of "what have you done for me lately (meaning last week) it is not enough. Stupid sh@t is the order of the day.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Could care less what SI thinks and whatever media outlet does as well. No matter what happens we dang sure do not need to let the media dictate what UF does or much less react to issues as a result of their publications.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
It seems to me this guy gets his info from this board. I've been reading the same crap for three months now here on Gator Chatter. Foley has never hired a big name coach and never will. he has always gone for the up and coming or next big thing head coach for all sports here at UF. Why would anyone think he would do anything different now? Like 78 and Swamp Queen said Hack and Joke. I wonder which one the hackjokes on this board wrote it. :jerkit:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mudd;n124369 said:
It seems to me this guy gets his info from this board. I've been reading the same crap for three months now here on Gator Chatter. Foley has never hired a big name coach and never will. he has always gone for the up and coming or next big thing head coach for all sports here at UF. Why would anyone think he would do anything different now? Like 78 and Swamp Queen said Hack and Joke. I wonder which one the hackjokes on this board wrote it. :jerkit:
I'm pretty sure no one on the GCMB writes for SI.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SI hasn't been relevant in 20 years. Why should we pay any attention to anything they write.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
oxrageous said:
Mudd;n124369 said:
I'm pretty sure no one on the GCMB writes for SI.

Maybe but he could have copy and pasted most of that from here.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
stephenPE;n124362 said:
SInce the 21 century began JF has been our AD (and long before). We are just talking the last 14 years. UF has two national titles in football and basketball along with much success and other titles in other sports our university sponsors. We are ALWAYS top three in the Sears Cup. We almost always win the SEC when all sports are considered. Just considering the four titles in the BIG two sports NO OTHER school comes close. But in this world of "what have you done for me lately (meaning last week) it is not enough. Stupid sh@t is the order of the day.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is how much Foley sucks!

Womens Softball 2014
Womens Gymnastics 2014
Womens Gymnastics 2013
Men's Outdoor Track & Field 2013 NCAA Indoor Championship
Women's Tennis 2012 NCAA Championship
Men's Outdoor Track & Field 2012 NCAA Indoor Championship
Men's Indoor Track & Field 2012 NCAA Indoor Championship
Women's Tennis 2011 NCAA Championship
Men's Indoor Track & Field 2011 NCAA Indoor Championship
Women's Swimming & Diving 2010 NCAA Championship
Men's Track & Field 2010 NCAA Indoor Championship
Football 2008 BCS/Associated Press
Men's Basketball 2007 NCAA Championship
Men's Basketball 2006 NCAA Championship
Football 2006 BCS/Associated Press
Women's Tennis 2003 NCAA Championship
Men's Golf 2001 NCAA Championship
Women's Tennis 1998 NCAA Championship
Soccer 1998 NCAA Championship
Women's Tennis 1996 NCAA Championship
Football 1996 Associated Press/Coaches'

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
One of the hardest things in the world to be is objective about something you love. Sometimes it takes someone on the outside to say out loud what you know deep down inside but your heart won't let you speak it. When your wife asked you how she looks in that new dress. When you son makes a C and you tell him you are proud of him when you know he could have done better. We love our Gators and the facts are that greatness is not forever and in most cases the reason for the fall of greatness is the lack of ability to make the right changes at critical junctures due to investments or relationships those changes would require us to alter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator