Sources: UF & Chip Kelly working on contract details

Status
Not open for further replies.

H8rade

Nov 11, 2017
DOhntS_X0Acot-N.jpg:large

Gator Blue looks good on him at least... of course Gator blue looks good on everyone

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
It would be astounding if Scott Frost is spurning God knows how many huge offers to stay at UCF. I find it difficult to believe.

I don't know what I'd do if we hired Kelly. He's been my dream candidate for several years.

I attended a UAA net worker last week and visited with a couple of Bull Gators. We talked about the coaching situation and when I mentioned Frost they said that the Florida Board of Governors would be against schools within their domain poaching each others head coaches.

I have no idea if this is really a factor, but they seemed pretty sure of themselves.

Can't think of any reason why they would say that if it's not true.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
He didn’t really fail imho. He over micro managed the eagles, but still left with a 26-21. Not terrible for a first time nfl coach.

The 49ers are beyond messed up and they were so before he even took over
Exactly. He had a helluva first year. They were moving on in the playoffs his first year if not for a last second loss by a Saints FG. His problem was he couldn't get a decent QB. Nick Foles traded for Sam Bradford who it turned out was made of glass. Then he went to a team where there was no hope. A team who just got their first win this season at home by beating another team with 1 win.

Taking over a team that went 4–12 in 2012, Kelly led the Eagles to a 10–6 record and the NFC Eastern Division Championship, becoming just the second head coach in league history to win a division title in his first season in the NFL.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I attended a UAA net worker last week and visited with a couple of Bull Gators. We talked about the coaching situation and when I mentioned Frost they said that the Florida Board of Governors would be against schools within their domain poaching each others head coaches.
That's absurd.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't felt this kind of buzz about the football program in a looooooooooong time. Feels like it's about to explode -- in a good way, for a change.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, since it "appears" to be Chip Kelly....I was around for the Pell years. We were all happy about the winning, upgrade of facilities, recruiting, and then come to find out, he did not do it ethically. This is what worries me about Chip Kelly. Can anyone enlighten me why he got slammed by the NCAA for show cause? They do not hand those out casually...in fact the NCAA is so spineless that for them to issue Show Cause, Kelly had to have done something VERY egregious! Looking forward to hearing what shenanigans he did and why we think he won't change his stripes and bring down (further) our program. I want our program to start winning again, but I also do not want another Pell.

Show cause was NOT for "recruiting" violations (neither was Pell - his selling of the student tickets - I've always called them "retention" violations). Kelly's problem was "Oregon's use of football scouting services," according to Wikipedia. This had to do with using some guy who ran some 7-on-7 scouting team - I mean it may have been for recruiting players from that, but I think it was more in line with what Pell did, using that to scout on other teams in the Pac 12. Another interesting thing about Kelly. Wikipedia says he was married from 1992 to 1999. Presuming he's still single, does this mean he has more time to devote to coaching? I have no idea on that one.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Ok, since it "appears" to be Chip Kelly....I was around for the Pell years. We were all happy about the winning, upgrade of facilities, recruiting, and then come to find out, he did not do it ethically. This is what worries me about Chip Kelly. Can anyone enlighten me why he got slammed by the NCAA for show cause? They do not hand those out casually...in fact the NCAA is so spineless that for them to issue Show Cause, Kelly had to have done something VERY egregious! Looking forward to hearing what shenanigans he did and why we think he won't change his stripes and bring down (further) our program. I want our program to start winning again, but I also do not want another Pell.
I think you guys need to do a little research on this to ease your mind. Seriously, comparing this to Pell is silly. The only thing found against Kelly was lack of control over an assistant and the infractions were very minor. They lost 1, yes 1 scholarship a year for 3 years.

And despite the NCCA determining Kelly wasn't directly involved, he took full responsibility, didn't play the "I didn't have any idea" and throw his assistants and players under the bus (I'm looking at you Pete Carroll) and handled it better than maybe any coach in this situation I can remember.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...gon-ducks-put-probation-ncaa-lose-scholarship

The NCAA said Kelly was unaware of Lyles' involvement in recruiting, but the committee noted it is the head coach's responsibility to know the rules and ensure staff and coaches comply with them.

"Now that the NCAA has concluded their investigation and penalized the University of Oregon and its football program, I want to apologize to the University of Oregon, all of its current and former players and their fans," Kelly said in a statement. "I accept my share of responsibility for the actions that led to the penalties."

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Someone can add or correct if I remembered wrong...but essentially.....

Kelly who did not like to recruit at Oregon (no secret now) hired a recruiting service to find prospects (which is/was legal). This recruiting service decided at some point to pay a couple of players to sign with Oregon (illegal). Instead of cooperating with the NCAA Kelly bolted and I think an assistant got pegged with a little more of the fallout. So Kelly didn't actually do the bad stuff but was in charge. Shouldn't need a recruiting service at FL for sure.

I think the show clause was more severe because Kelly was "in charge" of hiring the recruiting service and he basically said screw you to the NCAA.
That's the answer I was trying to come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator