Spring ball: Spring Scrimmage on Saturday

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
That is the actual roster, not just some average of classes of people who signed. It also may be why the 2024 one isnt out, with another portal window opening.

I do agree that there are some problems with it. For instance, if you are a 5 star player who fails at Penn State, Clemson or Miami then transfers to Douchebag, you should be rated again in the transfer portal as appropriate (likey 2 or 3 star depth) vs a player who does well in Sunbelt and transfers, maybe you are a 4 star now instead of 2 or 3. I THINK Ive seen a star rating in the transfer portal now, a new rating, as they always did with jucos.

However it is still a metric of TALENT. It doesn't mean deveoloped talent. That is up to the coaches, obviously, and neither Dbag nor Potato can make this 7-15 rated talent perform like top 20 talent.

Yes, it’s a gross average of those signed but it doesn’t re-rate the guys who stay.

There we were just behind Michigan last year. Talent isn’t elite level but it’s a lot better than 5-7.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The play calling was so bad in the second half. Just like his time at ULL and here, every game will be tight and so boring to watch.

It is what it is. Doesn’t matter what talent we have.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The play calling was so bad in the second half. Just like his time at ULL and here, every game will be tight and so boring to watch.

Throwing some more red meat to the mob, eh?

Overall the game was better than I expected. Lagway can sling it. Should be an exciting season on Swamp Gas.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, it’s a gross average of those signed but it doesn’t re-rate the guys who stay.

There we were just behind Michigan last year. Talent isn’t elite level but it’s a lot better than 5-7.
Right.

Mullen was a lazy and below average recruiter. fact he appears to be lazy and below average in almost everything in life except convincing Cowbell's AD to make him rich.

You will certain hurt the feelings of those who swear Mullen didnt even leave enough talent to beat Kintucky, Vandy or Arku though. They worship at that altar.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
All of you naysayers are crazy. We making the playoffs.

Crypto Bitcoin GIF by Collings Real Estate

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Lagway was a surprise for me. RBs are good. DBs and tackling were marginally bettter.

But you're right, the overall mediocrity of this coaching staff stretched over the game like a London fog.

The first half had energy and the second reverted to typical blasé.

Of course we had the obligatory ST snafus and the botched triple reverse flee flicker right after a momentum play just to remind us ...

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
So 41 out of 85 (are we full?) scholarship players got an award?

They must be very proud
A who's who on the names of the awards. But I did see any players out there worthy of bring associated with any of those names.

No one was dominate. At any position.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A who's who on the names of the awards. But I did see any players out there worthy of bring associated with any of those names.

No one was dominate. At any position.
Pup? Heard he was a standout?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
After a bubble screen on 3 and 20something went for about 3 yards my wife looked at me and said “this is the start of Billy’s farewell tour , I can’t stand anymore of this @*$#%&$!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s a breakdown on Florida and Miami’s spring games from an FSU 247 insider:

Miami:

Looked pretty sloppy on both sides of the ball to be honest. They kept things pretty simple with the offense really only showing one run concept and a handful of air raid passing concepts. Cam Ward was inconsistent as a whole but had some pretty bright spots as well and made a throw out two that justified the hype. Although to be fair, it helped that Miami's defense played a lot of true man which allowed the offense to cook them on mesh routes all scrimmage.

OL was getting eaten up by the DL all day. Didn't look like any missed assignments or anything, just getting reset a lot. Pockets closed quickly on the QBs and their run game didn't find much success. This can be pretty standard with spring games and honestly is probably the main thing that just made things feel a bit muddy.

All in all it's hard to evaluate what Miami has here. Ward looked decent but receivers were open in ways that I don't think he'll see all season. He has the ability to open things up and make plays out of nothing but he did have a decent amount of inconsistent moments and wasn't the most accurate pushing the ball down the field.

UF:

This scrimmage was more pleasing to the eye. The offense showed more complexity and they were able to get some plays going down field. Their scheme still feels like a difficult thing to scheme against and it feels like Wilson is ready to fill the hole that Pearsall left behind.

Mertz is who he is at this point. He'll be consistent and keep the offense as a mid 20s ish unit in the country. Lagway on the other hand, impressed. I'm not a guy that hypes up freshman but he made some throws that are truly NFL level. Will be an interesting battle to watch as the season progresses.

That being said, the secondary was porous at times last year and both QBs had their fair share of open guys to choose from. Trenches are hard to evaluate in settings like this but it seemed like their OL won on the day in terms of pass protection, which again isn't a surprise since UF tends to load up with bigger DL, and struggled a bit running the ball.

Conclusions:

Overall I was a bit more impressed with UF. I think their offense can be pretty dangerous when operated well and Lagway is a bit of a concern moving forward as he showed real potential on the day. However, I'm not high on how they've built their defense and still project it to be their weak link.

Miami will be a big question. Based on this game it feels like they're going to just try to let their talent play. They kept things really simple and at times that will probably work really well for them. I've stated before I like Cam Ward and it feels like they're trying to to build the passing game around him. We'll see if that works in the long run.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.