Spring Camp opens

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Went to see Napier speak tonight at the Polk County Gator Club in Lakeland. One of the highlights was they cleared him to land at Linder airport which this week is the busiest in the world as it's "sun n fun" week. A really good airshow week with a lot of old war planes in attendance and several shows by the blue angels. That coupled with the 22 Amazon flights per day made it interesting they let poor Billy fly in.

The takeaways were few. 1) He expects to pick up another QB after they complete spring practice either through the portal or a HS re-classification. 2) He is clearly high on Martz, his professionalism in how he goes about his work has impressed the coach and also his teammates. He said Miller is playing his best and Max Brown is showing some talent. 3) While they have 105 dressing for spring less than 85 are scholarship players, he expects some attrition after spring and also expects to pick up some more talent.

He spent more time talking about extracurricular stuff other than X's and O's, like Gatormade, GPA's, business mentorships and it's clear to me this will be a hallmark of his tenure here giving the players the full opportunity to leave college prepared for life after football. He raved about Heavenor and said the players love it so much they hang around together and bond as a team. He expects to see dividends from this culture change.

Everybodys unfavorite AD came and introduced some guy who has created another NIL group currently called FAST which has been under the radar for 9 months. Apparently a big rebrandiing name change is being announced in the coming weeks, seemed to be a weak ass ask for money. The guy said they had in the first 9 months 78 athletes providing 500 volunteer hours as their commitment. I figured that equated to a little north of 6 hours volunteer time per signed up athlete. Damn, we are off n running on NIL, pffft. Napier got a big laugh when he said to him NIL was a large pain in the ass.

Everything else I have heard on posted videos here so I didn't repeat any of that.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad we got out of the scrimmage healthy. One thing not to have to worry about.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It's Mertz' to lose imo. I'm pretty sure it's known and it's motivating the other guys. That's not a bad thing.
Actually it Gator nation's to lose. Mertz defines mediocrity. The SEC will have this guy for breakfast and Miller proved in that disasterous bowl game how unimpressive a pick up he was. We seem to be magnets for loser Big 10 QBs that transfer from teams that don't seem to give a damn they are leaving which should be a HUGE red flag about what one gets.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Lol...some have already made up their minds this far in advance, leaving themselves little wiggle room. I'm hopeful but have no idea how it will all turn out. I can understand Ox's glee if things go well, it will be fun to watch. Almost like watching a few passes against air and crowning someone the starter...."I mean, did you see that? It was a great pass."
The thing I found interesting about the Miller interview that's online, is how he explained he had to learn to grip the ball all over again after the surgery.

PaulDrake

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The QBs... I'm watching their body movement and thier throwing motion. The throws are important, to get there, but the placement... it's Spring ball.

I'll worry about that in the O&B game and there are CBs.

As Ox would say ... He's only [fill in age] years old. Sheesh. :lol:
Forget throwing motion and body movement. How about the fact their throwing motion is like watching slow motion. I've seen quicker releases in a pop warner football QBs. Yeah, I know these are drills in spring practice but Jesus how about showing some aggressiveness in those throws?

PaulDrake

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lol...some have already made up their minds this far in advance, leaving themselves little wiggle room. I'm hopeful but have no idea how it will all turn out. I can understand Ox's glee if things go well, it will be fun to watch. Almost like watching a few passes against air and crowning someone the starter...."I mean, did you see that? It was a great pass."
The thing I found interesting about the Miller interview that's online, is how he explained he had to learn to grip the ball all over again after the surgery.
LOL! So THAT explains the castastrophic bowl game. JMIII was still grappling with that ball grip thing......oh yeah, right.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You doubters are killing me. Billy is a damn QB whispering guru. Just look what he did with AR in one short year.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Forget throwing motion and body movement. How about the fact their throwing motion is like watching slow motion. I've seen quicker releases in a pop warner football QBs. Yeah, I know these are drills in spring practice but Jesus how about showing some aggressiveness in those throws?
It’s one thing to name a staffer “QB coach” but do we actually have a QB coach?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If that turns out to be true, 100% on staff. A smart game manager is fine with me. Bama won how many titles with that MO? But imo, if our QBs look “dumb”, word on the street will be that our staff can’t develop players. No team has great seasons with poor QB play.
Bama won with a “game manager” at QB and 10 first rounders surrounding him.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
That could be because they’re emphasizing a technique, going slow to get the reps right before going full speed. At least I hope that’s why.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
If Max Brown was a serious contender he wouldn’t be playing baseball right now.
That hasn’t ever worked out well for a Gator QB that I can recall. Rodney Brewer, Gavin Dickey & Doug Johnson come to mind. Herbert Perry?

Edit: Brewer was productive on the diamond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator