Spring Camp opens

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
That could be because they’re emphasizing a technique, going slow to get the reps right before going full speed. At least I hope that’s why.
Bingo.

They're teaching fundamentals and playbook. Speed and, theoretically, accuracy comes later.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Offensive line is strong, RB's are some of the best in the damn country, and the receiving unit is better and deeper. I think we're going to see far more consistent QB play than what we got last season. This unit is a running team, some of you need to come to grips with that, and it's going to be a running team when Lagway takes over as well - quit pining for the Fun N Gun. If AR15 had actually utilized his legs and enormous physical talent last season, we would have won a lot more than 5 games. Mertz is going to be a more consistent passer and I think his teammates are actually going to respect him and respond to him - we won't have to look at him moping on the sidelines ignoring everyone.

Can't wait for the season to start.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Offensive line is strong, RB's are some of the best in the damn country, and the receiving unit is better and deeper. I think we're going to see far more consistent QB play than what we got last season. This unit is a running team, some of you need to come to grips with that, and it's going to be a running team when Lagway takes over as well - quit pining for the Fun N Gun. If AR15 had actually utilized his legs and enormous physical talent last season, we would have won a lot more than 5 games. Mertz is going to be a more consistent passer and I think his teammates are actually going to respect him and respond to him - we won't have to look at him moping on the sidelines ignoring everyone.

I can agree on us winning more last year with AR playing to his strentths. UK and Vu are absolute wins, Usf isn’t close and I’m pretty’s sure we beat the noles. Hope you’re right about Mertz. Aside from Brown being a potential surprise who lights it up, he’s our best chance at being good this year. I have zero faith in JM, but am cautiously optimistic on him.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I agree with everything here except I'm unsure that the O-line will be strong. Too many new faces. Defense was our main issue last season. We couldn't even stop teams like USF and Vandy from driving at will. Even with AR's inconsistency, we beat UT, LSU, Vandy and FSU last year with a half-way decent defense.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I agree with everything here except I'm unsure that the O-line will be strong. Too many new faces. Defense was our main issue last season. We couldn't even stop teams like USF and Vandy from driving at will. Even with AR's inconsistency, we beat UT, LSU, Vandy and FSU last year with a half-way decent defense.

Good points here as well. And I do expect the defense to look much better. The ut game especially was mostly defense. The second quarter against Lsu where we went cold and then sat on a 7 point deficit going into half with them receiving to start Q3 was where we lost and was my biggest issue that night. Well, and the fact that we commemorated the 5 year anniversary of a maddening loss to Lsu just days after Petty’s passing by commemorating his 5 year passing with another maddening loss to Lsu. Probably wasn’t my favorite.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Good points here as well. And I do expect the defense to look much better. The ut game especially was mostly defense. The second quarter against Lsu where we went cold and then sat on a 7 point deficit going into half with them receiving to start Q3 was where we lost and was my biggest issue that night. Well, and the fact that we commemorated the 5 year anniversary of a maddening loss to Lsu just days after Petty’s passing by commemorating his 5 year passing with another maddening loss to Lsu. Probably wasn’t my favorite.
We won't back down.

However, we will bend over.

:lol:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
And another possibility is that after spring, one of our lesser performing QB's hits the portal.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I see the defense is as good at tackling as last year. Miguel Mitchell got trucked by Cam Carroll (transfer RB)

Last edited:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Went to see Napier speak tonight at the Polk County Gator Club in Lakeland. One of the highlights was they cleared him to land at Linder airport which this week is the busiest in the world as it's "sun n fun" week. A really good airshow week with a lot of old war planes in attendance and several shows by the blue angels. That coupled with the 22 Amazon flights per day made it interesting they let poor Billy fly in.

The takeaways were few. 1) He expects to pick up another QB after they complete spring practice either through the portal or a HS re-classification. 2) He is clearly high on Martz, his professionalism in how he goes about his work has impressed the coach and also his teammates. He said Miller is playing his best and Max Brown is showing some talent. 3) While they have 105 dressing for spring less than 85 are scholarship players, he expects some attrition after spring and also expects to pick up some more talent.

He spent more time talking about extracurricular stuff other than X's and O's, like Gatormade, GPA's, business mentorships and it's clear to me this will be a hallmark of his tenure here giving the players the full opportunity to leave college prepared for life after football. He raved about Heavenor and said the players love it so much they hang around together and bond as a team. He expects to see dividends from this culture change.

Everybodys unfavorite AD came and introduced some guy who has created another NIL group currently called FAST which has been under the radar for 9 months. Apparently a big rebrandiing name change is being announced in the coming weeks, seemed to be a weak ass ask for money. The guy said they had in the first 9 months 78 athletes providing 500 volunteer hours as their commitment. I figured that equated to a little north of 6 hours volunteer time per signed up athlete. Damn, we are off n running on NIL, pffft. Napier got a big laugh when he said to him NIL was a large pain in the ass.

Everything else I have heard on posted videos here so I didn't repeat any of that.

Which “Unfavorite” AD were you referring to?
We actually have two of them in place currently.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Went to see Napier speak tonight at the Polk County Gator Club in Lakeland. One of the highlights was they cleared him to land at Linder airport which this week is the busiest in the world as it's "sun n fun" week. A really good airshow week with a lot of old war planes in attendance and several shows by the blue angels. That coupled with the 22 Amazon flights per day made it interesting they let poor Billy fly in.

The takeaways were few. 1) He expects to pick up another QB after they complete spring practice either through the portal or a HS re-classification. 2) He is clearly high on Martz, his professionalism in how he goes about his work has impressed the coach and also his teammates. He said Miller is playing his best and Max Brown is showing some talent. 3) While they have 105 dressing for spring less than 85 are scholarship players, he expects some attrition after spring and also expects to pick up some more talent.

He spent more time talking about extracurricular stuff other than X's and O's, like Gatormade, GPA's, business mentorships and it's clear to me this will be a hallmark of his tenure here giving the players the full opportunity to leave college prepared for life after football. He raved about Heavenor and said the players love it so much they hang around together and bond as a team. He expects to see dividends from this culture change.

Everybodys unfavorite AD came and introduced some guy who has created another NIL group currently called FAST which has been under the radar for 9 months. Apparently a big rebrandiing name change is being announced in the coming weeks, seemed to be a weak ass ask for money. The guy said they had in the first 9 months 78 athletes providing 500 volunteer hours as their commitment. I figured that equated to a little north of 6 hours volunteer time per signed up athlete. Damn, we are off n running on NIL, pffft. Napier got a big laugh when he said to him NIL was a large pain in the ass.

Everything else I have heard on posted videos here so I didn't repeat any of that.
Fast is the program that replacing the collective.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Your pronouncements are noted. Here's the deal about being a team that can actually throw the damn ball......you can come from behind. If you are a running team and intangibles happen and you find yourself down 14-17 points you're done. So yeah, I'm pinning for an elite passing game. And if I have to wait for Napier to blow this all up then I'll wait and we find a coach with a philosopy other than three yards in a cloud of dust. Until then it all looks ho-hum at this point.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I get it. I really have high hopes. Some of us dont have time to wait for another season to see improvement. I want to win alot but just to see us beat the leg humping scumbags and crush the clown town criminoles would make me feel pretty good. Its time we step back into our normal position and stop worrying about every game we play.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Napier is stretched way too thin with all of his responsibilities. He is in live or die need of a quality OC similar to Brian Johnson or Steve Spurrier if there is such an animal….time is running out. He seems to check all the boxes except this most important one…mind boggling…

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So yeah, I'm pinning for an elite passing game. And if I have to wait for Napier to blow this all up then I'll wait and we find a coach with a philosopy other than three yards in a cloud of dust. Until then it all looks ho-hum at this point.
It's not happening with Napier, or the next guy, or the next guy, or the next guy. There will never be a Spurrier-type offense at UF again. Deal with it.

We've won two of our three NC's with running teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator