• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Trask keeping competition close with Franks early on
Can Florida quarterback Kyle Trask give Feleipe Franks a real push for the starting job or maybe even win it himself?

https://scout.com/college/florida/B...-close-with-Feleipe-Franks-early-on-116736412

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- So far this spring all eyes at the quarterback position have been on redshirt sophomore Feleipe Franks, and rightly so. He's the leading candidate to win the starting job and he's the only quarterback on the roster with any college experience.

But fellow redshirt sophomore Kyle Trask has also done a good job quietly positioning himself to make a push for the job as spring practice continues and Florida moves ahead into the summer and the fall.

"Kyle's done a great job with the reps that he's had," quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson siad. "He's coming out and competing every single day. He's making plays. You definitely see the improvement in him from Practice 1 to Practice 6."

In terms of arm talent, Trask sits on pretty equal footing with Franks. He can sling it just as far down the field, and the two have traded off being the most accurate quarterback in practice from day to day.

One day Trask will outperform Franks. The next Franks will get the better of Trask.

It's been close enough to call it a legitimate competition, though.

The real question isn't whether Trask can sling the rock; he can. But can he successfully operate the offense when he's under pressure in a game situation? That's where Franks has a clear edge, at least in terms of experience. Trask, a former high school backup, simply doesn't have the amount of reps leading the offense in game-like situations as Franks.

"I (thought) they were exceptional throwers of the football and passers of the football. For them to have the ability to make different types of throws and put different tempos and paces on the ball is something that I thought they've done a really good job with throughout the first six practices," Johnson said.

"Especially when you have some younger guys who hadn't played a bunch, the ability to kind of have some of that arm talent and do that stuff takes a while to develop. And some of those guys do some of that stuff naturally, so that's a positive for sure."

Johnson noted one play, in particular, from Monday's practice that showed Trask has the ability to get the job done at this level.

He's looked pretty natural doing so, too.

"Kyle Trask had one today where he threw off a play-action pass and it was a great read, he got to No. 3 in his progression and put it right on the guy in stride for a touchdown," Johnson said Monday. "So those guys, they all have flashed and shown some ability to make some big plays."

One big question at quarterback, not just for Trask but for all of the guys, is how they will handle the running portion of the position.

Coach Dan Mullen has typically used his quarterbacks as runners quite a bit, though he can certainly work around different skill sets at the position.

Trask might actually be a more natural runner than Franks, and he's got a bit more bulk to his frame to be able to handle the hits. Of course, Florida's quarterbacks have been in non-contact jerseys this spring, so how much can the coaches really know about each guy's running ability?

"Enough because the way we structure practice those guys are going to get thudded up even though it's not full contact," Johnson said. "We'll see what they can do just in terms of their scrambling ability, of how coach holds the whistle and makes sure that we're finishing plays and through our individual drills. I think those guys are all different runners, and we'll kind of design it to run to their strengths. So we'll do what we need to do as an offensive staff to get that organized."

Johnson noted that Mullen has lifted the non-contact jerseys from the quarterbacks in the past to see what they can do.

The Gators haven't done that yet, but they might at some point if the competition remains close. Johnson noted that after Dak Prescott went to the NFL, Mississippi State kept the quarterbacks live throughout the spring.

With just Franks and Trask standing ahead of the pack right now, the Gators may not have the luxury of doing that this spring.

In any case, Johnson's confident that between Franks or Trask, or perhaps even one of the two freshmen making a big jump, he's got the guy on the roster that can make the offense hum.

"I mean, we don't got nobody else coming through that door, so I mean these are our guys and we're going to get them ready to go out there and compete at a high level and hold them to the Gator standard," Johnson said. "I mean, that's what it's all about. Those guys are eager and willing to learn, and as long as they continue to come out here with that attitude and get better and take steps in the right direction each and every day, we'll be fine."

---------------

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I’m guessing it’s just Toney’s lack of size why he ain’t getting a serious look at QB. Nick Marshal didn’t seem that big, but he held up. I’m having serious doubts with Franks or Trask at this level, and instead of Jones being thrown out there before he’s ready, I’d rather roll with Toney to see how he’d work. I got to believe with just his athleticism alone, it would allow him to be way more successful than a Franks or Trask led offense. Toney may not be able to take the pounding, that’s the main drawback I’d see for him at QB in this offense.
Idk Toney's weight without looking it up. I know Nick Marshall is like 6'0 210. Being that he's thicker than Toney I would think he's more durable. Also Auburn isn't doing the same thing Mullen wants from a qb here. Toney doesn't fit as the QB in a Mullen offense because of his size like you said. I'm definitely interested in seeing him on jet sweeps and misdirections. I bet he gets a couple carries a game at least. If he's breaking some off he'll probably get 5 or more carries a game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Toney is probably too injury prone to play QB regularly in this system but size doesn't always determine that. They made Alex Smith take quite a few hits in Utah (he didn't get the Leak 2006 treatment) but he would just pop right back up like nothing happened when he got pancaked usually.

Sounds like Trask and Franks are close enough where we might actually get a decent look at both in the spring game instaed of that joke Mac put on last year where Franks got to mostly go against walk on DBs on his passes while Trask was totally thrown to the wolves against the top defenders.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
How many years does Mullen get before we really start to judge him? Obviously we need growth and to see the potential on the field start to manifest itself. Mac went completely backwards and the talent has been devastated.
I’m on record as saying we need to keep him at least 5 years. We need some friggin stability in order to right the ship. Let’s get the facilities done, support staff in place, etc..

That said, if he nose dives and has a losing record after year one, then fire his ass! :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m on record as saying we need to keep him at least 5 years.
Im on record that we fire Stricklin in three if this goes as expected.

Its just like McElstain demanding Nusspunt. Great. Live and die with your boy.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Im on record that we fire Stricklin in three if this goes as expected.

Its just like McElstain demanding Nusspunt. Great. Live and die with your boy.

I agree. If Mullen doesn't get the job done, then Stricklin needs to go and the next AD can replace the football coach. Stricklin hiring and overpaying his buddy makes him just as responsible for the next few years of football as Mullen.

Hopefully, Mullen will be successful here and it won't come to any of that. He's certainly doing a good job so far, and I think it's fair to assume that Mullen will at least leave the program better than how he found it, whether that's in 3 years or 20. Of course that's because Mullen is a hard worker, and McElwain didn't even try.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Of course that's because Mullen is a hard worker, and McElwain didn't even try.
True.

The similarities between Butterteeth and Charlie cheeseburger. they both thought that watching a championship coach win big meant that they were championship coaches also.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
How many years does Mullen get before we really start to judge him? Obviously we need growth and to see the potential on the field start to manifest itself. Mac went completely backwards and the talent has been devastated.

I evaluate everything I hear or see him do. Great coaches & “fits” usually start to show success in year 2. Some take a bit longer but if you haven’t seen it by year 3, year 4 has to go better than Zook, Champ or Mac had.

SO much depends on the QB. He’s got to develop one or more of those available now and/or recruit the right guy in the next class or two . No more duct taping the problem with mediocre transfer stiffs.

Sometimes year 2 is fools’ gold (Chizik). But success opens opportunity to sustain it and that’s where we want to be.

“We” will judge him at varying paces. Some have already declared him a mistake but most of us will last through year 2 and into year 3.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Toney is probably too injury prone to play QB regularly in this system but size doesn't always determine that.
Running a three yard route in front of the LBs is a sure way to get your slot receivers killed regularly.

It even got Percy hurt often.

Last edited:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Realistically, after the dust has settled, who would you have rather gotten than Mullen?

As of right now, Kelly would have fans furious with recruiting and his personality.

Frost was always going to Nebraska.

So realistically who was it? Who was a better fit? Who would be doing a better job right now? Love to hear it

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
So realistically who was it? Who was a better fit? Who would be doing a better job right now? Love to hear it

Have asked this question of several posters...Knowing Kelley and Frost were Never coming here......
Have yet to get a reply...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Id hold out for at least a dude w a winning record in his conference but I have incredibly high standards.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Id hold out for at least a dude w a winning record in his conference but I have incredibly high standards.
I don't disagree with this post, but I just don't see your consistency,Swonkey. Maybe you could give us a sign as to whether you are pro Mullen or anti Mullen that day. You know, add a kerchief to your avatar or something. Sort of like the tie on the doorknob.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Realistically, after the dust has settled, who would you have rather gotten than Mullen?

As of right now, Kelly would have fans furious with recruiting and his personality.

Frost was always going to Nebraska.

I was really impressed with Norvell this season, but I understand the concerns. What bothered me most about the Mullen hire most was his salary. Who other than Stricklin or Mullen believes he's worth $6 million a year? I get that Frost and Kelley were never coming, but James Franklin may have considered it if he knew he could get that kind of money. Maybe not but we'll never know. There's no points in what if's now, but I'll think Mullen is overpaid until he proves otherwise.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, you wanted that loser from North Carolina and have for years. Can't even remember his name.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Johnson noted that Mullen has lifted the non-contact jerseys from the quarterbacks in the past to see what they can do.
This has to be done in this offense.

Flag football doesnt show you which QBs are ready to run the ball.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Listened to Nick de la Torre in today's podcast. All I'll say is fook Mac if what they said is true. He ought to be arrested for grand theft. Now on to what he said,

1. Huge difference between previous staff and Mullen's. When they ran drills like air drills, if it wasn't going well Mac would keep running them. No yelling. No cursing. No correction. Now, they stop practice. There's yelling, cursing, and then coaching. When they go back to running the drills the errors are fixed.

2. A few of the d-linemen told Spivey they weren't required to work hard under the previous staff. That has changed mightily.

3. This one caught me off guard. De la Torre said Shannon showed favoritism to soflo guys. So even though Jaewon Taylor was out playing some guys in front of him, he was at the bottom of the depth chart since he's from bama. He said guys like Taylor finally quit trying. Taylor is now listed as a starter and a team leader under the current staff. They love him.

4. Trey Dean has been a superstar and is the 3rd corner behind Wilson and Henderson.

5 Jachai Polite has gained 3 pounds but slimmed down. He's playing so well he is pushing Cece at the buck position. Moon is 3rd.

6. Emory Jones is, based on reps, 4th behind Jake Allen. His issue is purely footwork. He is actually making good decisions. He's just missing.

7. Guys like Rick Wells are having to be taught how to use their size to get off press coverage as they weren't being taught how to do that under the previous staff. Wells in particular is looking good.

Again, fukk Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator