• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully that OSU QB transfers here. He is probably way better than Franks or Trask. It isn't a Del Rio situation as it sounds like he can actually play pretty good. He just isn't as good as the guy in front of him.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Mullen sees growth in second scrimmage, Franks better
Florida coach Dan Mullen broke down what he saw from the second scrimmage of the spring, which featured a better performance from quarterback Feleipe Franks.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ond-scrimmage-Feleipe-Franks-better-117162610

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Coming off the team's second scrimmage of the spring, Dan Mullen wasn't overly positive or negative either way about his team's performance.

He saw some definite signs of growth, though, including how the team handled the scrimmage as a whole. As always, there's still room to improve there.

"I thought we played better football as a whole, certain things on Saturday within each individual play," Mullen said. "I think we really still need to improve on understanding game situations and how to play out the scrimmage, you know what I mean?

"When offense, you have an advantage, we start a drive with great field position, those are the ones you have to capitalize. Defense, you've got them pinned up and defense has the advantage, those are when you've got to capitalize."

The Gators did that at times on Saturday, as Feleipe Franks turned in a much better day than the previous scrimmage. Mullen said he put together the best numbers and had a few touchdowns.

Most importantly, Franks is still learning how to manage the offense. But he made a number of plays with both his arm and his feet.

"He did good. He threw a couple of touchdown passes," Mullen said. "Number wise, Felipe had the best numbers at the quarterback position."

Ironically, the one thing that seemed to trouble the offense on Saturday was handling basic looks from the defense.

With the defense installing its new 3-4 scheme under defensive coordinator Todd Grantham this spring, the quarterbacks have gotten used to facing heavy pressure everywhere. When the defense played a more vanilla style at times on Saturday, the quarterbacks weren't used to it.

"They handled some hard situations very well, and then all of the sudden they got like the easiest situation you can be in and you get a 3rd down and 12 and you're playing us and it's coming from every different direction," Mullen said.

"They started getting used to handling all these exotic blitzes coming at them. Set in a base defense out there and everybody like freaked out because it was a base defense. I’m like, ‘Come on, it’s back to day one.’ You can’t miss those opportunities. But overall I thought they managed the game better than the week before."

All that will come in time. With spring ball wrapping up, there's still one thing Mullen wants to see, though.

His team hasn't quite figured out how to play with relentless effort for short bursts on a consistent basis. Though the Gators did a better job focusing on the next play in the second scrimmage, it's still an area that needs work.

Mullen wants more out of them over the next week to feel like spring ball really counted.

"The biggest thing we need to get out of them this week is the effort," Mullen said. "It’s not that they’re not giving effort. It’s them understanding how much effort they can give. Our guys are going hard, (but) I don’t know how much they’re straining.

"There’s a big difference between going hard and straining. Between guys thinking they’re going hard and that absolute strain to give everything you possibly have. If we can learn to do that better this week I’d say it’s been a pretty successful spring for us overall."

---------------

It’s amazing how these great improvements happen at closed practices and scrimmages.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Franks shows improved command with offense in scrimmage
Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks bounced back from a rough first scrimmage to show improved command of the offense in Saturday's second live scrimmage.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...d-command-with-offense-in-scrimmage-117163464

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- You didn't have to search hard to find stories about Feleipe Franks' first spring scrimmage in Dan Mullen's new offense. Simply put, it wasn't pretty.

And many fans grumbled and thought "here we go again" after Franks had a very tough redshirt freshman season in 2017.

But the quarterback bounced back nicely in the team's second scrimmage, putting together the best outing with three passing touchdowns, one rushing touchdown and no interceptions.

His handling of the offense situationally was much improved.

"I still think, we’ve got to complete a higher percentage of passes," Mullen said. "But that’s not always the accuracy. Sometimes it’s decision-making as well for all the quarterbacks.

"When you want to take your shots down the field, when do you want just get the ball out of your hand, when you see certain looks, what is the easiest throw you can make? The educated things. On 1st-and-10, when do I want to take a shot or when do I want to just check it down and go play the next play? When do I want to scramble around and improvise and make something great happen? And when is the time to just throw it away and we’ll figure it out later, on the next play? I thought Feleipe was a lot better at that."

Franks certainly has the physical tools to be a good quarterback option in Mullen's offense.

He'll never be confused for a pounder who can take 20 designed runs per game from the quarterback position. But he's certainly shown some running ability. He flashed it several times on Saturday.

"If you talk to the offense, there could have been two or three rushing touchdowns, (depending) where you mark him down," Mullen said. "But most of those were scrambles, of him improvising within the play and making a good decision when the blitz lane opened up and taking off."

Continuing to get Franks improving in that decision-making will be key for Florida moving forward.

That was the area of his game that really hurt the offense a year ago. Far too often he'd force a throw into coverage or take a sack instead of throwing the ball away.

Mullen seeing signs of growth in that area from Franks is a real positive. However, there's still work to be done.

"It’s like you have a sports car. If I hand you a Lamborghini it doesn’t mean you have to drive 150 miles an hour every second of every day," Mullen said. "There are times when you want to open it up a little bit. There’s other times where I’ve got to stop at a stop sign, follow the speed limit. They’ve got to learn when those opportunities are and how to take advantage of them."

---------------

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah CeCe did a nice job batting down that Trash pass and Ventrell did ate up that lazy pass over the middle by Trash. Ventrell seems to be earning respect and potentially playing time as the other inside LB. We desperately need it.

As bad as Trash pass across the middle was, Franks has been just as poor over the middle in past. That has to be fixed because much of Mullinz passing game are those three yard crossing routes. You have to be able to throw them quick and with great accuracy.

It almost feels like they released that video laced w Trash struggling just to cool Bowl's manlove a bit.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Notebook: Mullen updates ahead of Florida Gators spring game

https://www.gatorcountry.com/florid...-updates-ahead-of-florida-gators-spring-game/

Florida Gators head coach Dan Mullen took the podium one last time before the upcoming spring game on Monday. He talked about last week’s scrimmage, his expectations for the Orange and Blue Debut and updated on some injuries.

Here’s what he said:

• There will be guest head coaches coming in to coach the teams for the spring game. They will draft their players on Friday.

• 60,000 is the biggest crowd to ever attend Florida’s spring game. “We want way more than that.”

• Sophomore running back Adarius Lemons suffered a minor ankle sprain last scrimmage. Mullen anticipates him to be fine moving forward.

• Redshirt freshman linebacker Lacedrick Brunson injured his shoulder in the scrimmage. He will complete the spring and then be evaluated further to see if any procedures are necessary.

• Mullen hasn’t been too worried with separation at the quarterback position just yet. “It’s a long time before we have to make any decisions or play in a game.”

• Feleipe Franks had the best numbers at quarterback in Saturday’s scrimmage.

• Attitude and focus were much better than in the first scrimmage.

• Defensive depth has been a big focus this spring. Mullen wants to be able to roll fresh guys in throughout the game and have a defense that’s able to attack in all four quarters.

• Mullen said sophomore defensive tackle TJ Slaton has looked great half the time and terrible half the time. He has to get used to working hard all the time since he is no longer the most dominant player on the field at all times as he was in high school.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For the head coach of a major college football program to go alllll around campus to speak to people and students is amazing. Mullen is really working hard to ignite and unite the UF fan base. Go Gators!!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Over under on the number of folks at the O and B game. I'm guessing around 40,000.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Over under on the number of folks at the O and B game. I'm guessing around 40,000.

I would be going but my daughter-in-law is performing at the Phillips Center in Orlando that evening. I haven’t been to an O&B game in 10 years and this is the first time I’m bummed I can’t make it.

I’m guessing over your 40k - and they will be most generous in their crowd estimate.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I think it will be well over 40. Im on a few boards and seems like lots of people are going with whole families in tow.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think it will be well over 40. Im on a few boards and seems like lots of people are going with whole families in tow.

I hope you're right. I won't be going this time and neither will most of my friends who used to go all the time. Not sure why I've lost interest in O and B games. You'd think a new coach and system would get me more excited. Maybe I've just gotten beaten down by years of build up to disappointment.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I hope you're right. I won't be going this time and neither will most of my friends who used to go all the time. Not sure why I've lost interest in O and B games. You'd think a new coach and system would get me more excited. Maybe I've just gotten beaten down by years of build up to disappointment.

749C5ECA-D14B-4A71-BDA6-980780DA923C.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.