Strategy with Emory Jones moving forward

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Respectfully disagree. EJ threw a nice long ball to Jefferson that might have been a TD but for purposeful pass inteference by Georgia db. Doubt Toney could have thrown that pass.

Did Toney not throw a bomb to Cleveland last year against Kentucky on a trick play?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Warren was special teams coordinator at UT. Can we be certain he hasn't contributed to the resurgence of our special teams?
Yes we can. Kevin Knox coaches the special teams

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Should he be the starter next year in Jax, it may be nice for him to have seen that atmosphere and taken a few reps.

Also, if Franks is rolling and in rhythm that game, we probably don’t see him. As it is, why not try to create a spark.
If hes not the starter by next October we have a major problem. We all know what Frank's is capable of and it's not taking us where we want to be.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
8-3 is nice, I expected 7-5 this year, but losing to Kintucky and Methzu is frustrating after beating Corndogs and Cowbell.

We are not a QB away from making the next steps however.
QB is short for QLBSSDLOLB.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

Yes he did. Toney can throw the ball. No argument here. Just my opinion he cannot throw it with the accuracy and authority of EJ. Our opinions differ.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Every time EJ plays, he looks better than I am expecting. I'm extremely excited for his future here.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He’s going to get more live snaps against Idaho than in the bowl game. He needs all the live snaps he can get not gadget plays against FSU or the bowl game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes we can. Kevin Knox coaches the special teams
Orlando Sentinel, Aug. 8.

“Our team philosophy is that we're going to be the best special teams unit in the country, so to do that you have to have your best players on it,” cornerbacks coach Charlton Warren said. “No one was recruited to the left guard on punt right? But if the left guard on punt doesn't do his job, it changes the game in a big way and these guys want to be guys that change the game.

“So if you want to change the game, be a great special teams player on this team and you'll be able to do that multiple ways.”

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is scheming this EJ thing. Probably put him in vs UGa to show level of confidence DM has in EJ and to marvel him at the insane crowdery at FL-Ga. EJ's come-along seems in good order.

Think: our future backfield = EJ, Pierce, Clement, with Copeland flanked.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Mullen is scheming this EJ thing. Probably put him in vs UGa to show level of confidence DM has in EJ and to marvel him at the insane crowdery at FL-Ga. EJ's come-along seems in good order.

Think: our future backfield = EJ, Pierce, Clement, with Copeland flanked.

After seeing our young guys yesterday it gives me hope.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Our class will be determined with the early signing period like everyone else. The bowl game comes later.
I'm not so sure. Still a lot kids act the part of drama queens with the whole process and like it or not we're going to have to shop in the JuCo/transfers department again this year and they are typically late decision makers.

Between the last game of the season and bowl games are also when a lot of JR.'s declare, coaches resign, get fired or take better positions so the influences on recruits doesn't really stop until after NSD, then the early verbal's begin for the following year if you see what I mean. In case anybody hasn't been watching UGA we are a solid 2 years behind them in recruiting....they are loaded 2 and 3 deep.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The best thing I saw out of EJ was that he made throws I haven't seen Franks make all year. He seems to be accurate deep which Franks has never been. But, he was also accurate in the intermediate routes down the middle which Franks also struggles with and has missed for touchdowns on a number of occasions this year. I think he needs to add more weight if he is going to run this offense the way Mullen wants. I'm excited for next season.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
We have not put 63 on anyone since 2009.

EJ was rough in the O&B. Mullen has done wonders with this kid.

We have some really good young players. I thought EJ was much better than expected.

But the Freshman mistakes were there...FUMBLES.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Every time EJ plays, he looks better than I am expecting. I'm extremely excited for his future here.
Me, too. He showed good vision yesterday and we already knew he had a big arm. Also got to see his speed and quickness a good bit yesterday (at least until the entire OL was swapped out).

I'm more excited about him right now than Jalon Jones (what with JJ being tossed out of his last game with multiple personal fouls).

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
He’s going to get more live snaps against Idaho than in the bowl game. He needs all the live snaps he can get not gadget plays against FSU or the bowl game.
Exactly. Now he has a feeling for pace and execution. Knowing how RIGHT feels is pretty important. Working a situational package in a crisis doesn't exactly do that.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I'd question him inserting him in the UGA game, seemed like a waste to me. Toney could've done that same package.

I think it had more to do with slaying the "not ready for prime-time" monster than any real expectations of victory in a specific game. Now, the next time he steps on the field in a what could be an overawing experience, will not the first time he's done it. I may be ascribing greater subtlety to CDM's reasoning than actually exists, but I really don't think so. EJ has real talent and DM can coach - especially QBs. I consider these truths to be self-evident. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We're going to go into 2019 a lot better at quarterback. The open competition in the spring combined with another offseason for Mullen working with his young passers should bring about marked improvement.

If we can get better on the LOS, LB and safety -- I know, a lot of ifs -- we can have a really good football team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.