Stricklin sourcing Twitter

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hadn't seen this anywhere else, but the Iowa State AD is talking sh*t about the SEC only playing 8 conference games.

I love it that the SEC continues to tell the rest of college football to f*ck off about the 8 game schedule.

I can't post a tweet from this computer, but here's a cut and paste of the verbiage:

"We already play 10 P5 games every year (9 conference games plus Iowa). Maybe the @SEC should play 9 conference games like the @Big12Conference"

@Big12, you've had two shots at the playoff and neither time were your teams even competitive.

source.gif

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Clemson would be awesome for sure. I’d love to see us play a game in Happy Valley. So the only Big10 game I’d like would be PSU. That’s a really fun atmosphere to be around for those who haven’t experienced it. Would give both schools a chance to send the kids somewhere they more than likely would never get the chance to see.

Personally, I'd love a matchup with PSU. It's closest for me to attend a good game and it would be winnable for us.

Dreaming? As a fan, I'd like to play TT and/or OkSt, or Mike Leach as WashSt, just for fun and the DBU vs all-offense-no-defense teams. Anything in the cornfields (KU, KSU, IA, IAst, NEB) are just plain no. Just no. For a chance to take my family, there's plenty of winnable games against P5 like Rutgers, MD, WVU, but I wouldn't consider asking out of respect for my fellow Gator fans that would likely say 'no thank you'.

= = = = =

It's about the $$. More games people want to see among t10 teams, means more $$, win or lose. I see the schedule upgrades Stricklin proposes as being more of the same.

A non-conference game against another power 5 school can be intriguing, depending on who it is. But I miss the home and home series with a rotating SEC West opponent. Ole Miss, Miss State and Arkansas don’t do anything for me. But I would be excited to see Texas A&M, Bama and Auburn more often.

I miss the West as well, and there is the option to fill one of those OOC games with a conf opponent (ala WF v UNC this year). On the plus, you get those conf games that are normally decades apart, and the revenue for the H-and-H stays in-conference. However, nobody outside those two schools give a sht, and most will ridicule it even though it is a P5 game added to SOS. So, while this option exists, I don't see it getting pursued.

I see P5 teams moving to add one more OOC P5 game, typically as a season kickoff game like we've started seeing more and more of. It gives focus to a program rather than sleepwalking thru a pair of cupcakes to start the season - get focused, get ready, and GO. But in the bigger sense of 'why do it'? The cupcake game of home_revenue-paid_victim is nice though hardly carried on tv so it is for the home team's fans and a gimme for the team. Instead, do a conference challenge (like basketball does) and have a bunch of SEC v B12/P10/ACC/B1G matchups to open the season and the WORLD will be watching with more interest for the opening of the season. There will be a lot more tv money (makes up for the lost home revenue) and a lot more eyes on the game - recruits (meh), fans (higher tv ratings, higher revenue), and pollsters. It challenges a program to be ready, and rewards them with a spotlight (even if there are a dozen or so of these type games on opening weekend). We get more substance to which conferences have strength and which don't. And, for true contendors, a stumble out of the blocks is not the end of your season - it's early, with plenty of time to make up ground for the playoffs.

I see the increase of P5 matchups rather than cupcakes as an inevitable fact. I see the 8 team playoff coming eventually.

As for these season opening matchups, there are a lot of middle or even upper teams in P10/B12 I'd love to play for H-H arrangements as kickoffs or a mid-season game (though that poses more of a post season threat). I don't see ACC having enough to bring to the table, other than recruiting footprint, but meh. B10 I just don't like in general. Season kickoffs, before it gets cold, maybe. Mid-season, fk that snow.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you're a 2-loss team you're just gonna get crushed in an 8-team playoff. It's a stupid thought. In college football the top 2-3 are usually miles ahead of the pack.
As a Florida fan. or any SEC team fan, the playoffs are just an unnecessary speed bump in route to the NC.
For us our schedule is tough enough. We have the SEC Championship game and FSU back to back. Even SOS had trouble with that. Why would anybody that calls themselves a Gator fan want to have to play two playoff games to then get to the NC? Makes zero sense.
My rage for people who support destroying college football knows no limits.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
To your first point, I would say five seasons is a pretty reasonable sample size.

Look at these scores:

59-20
42-20
38-0
37-17
31-0
24-7
24-6
30-3
44-16

These are the “best of the best” going head to head in either finals or semifinals. Of the 15 games played since going to the playoff, 9 haven’t even been competitive, and several were flat out bloodbaths. The simple fact is, while the BCS and AP systems occasionally picked the wrong teams, it didn’t mean that there were still more than two, maybe three teams that were legit contenders. The numbers don’t lie. There hasn’t even been a year where you could argue having 4 was necessary. There just aren’t that many great teams in any given year. Going to 8 will only make it more ridiculous.
1000 likes, good sir.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t read the thread, so sorry if MOM, but if anyone thinks this is truly a “hey, Twitter, I’m interested in what you think?” then I have some real estate to sell you.

There is already a deal in place, and this is just a unique way to generate interest, buzz, and excitement. It’s a brilliant little piece of marketing, but there is a done deal in here somewhere.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
My rage for people who support destroying college football knows no limits.
Completely agree, I dont understand why someone would be upset about this, eventually we will go to a 8 team playoff so you'll most likely get in with 2 losses anyway so adding an extra power 5 game is purely for the fans and it's something I believe is going to become a major component when it goes to 8 teams. I also think Strickland believes this as well and that part of why he's booking these games. I'm 100% behind these fun games.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
If we scheduled a game against Washington the Fighting 5-Stars will have to soldier on without me for a weekend. I've always wanted to see a game there but never had a good reason.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t read the thread, so sorry if MOM, but if anyone thinks this is truly a “hey, Twitter, I’m interested in what you think?” then I have some real estate to sell you.

There is already a deal in place, and this is just a unique way to generate interest, buzz, and excitement. It’s a brilliant little piece of marketing, but there is a done deal in here somewhere.
Did you figure that all on your own or did you have some help? Come on, be honest.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Did you figure that all on your own or did you have some help? Come on, be honest.

Buzz off, realtor-boy. Just because I said I had real estate to sell doesn’t mean there’s a commission in it for you. :lol:

And if you think there aren’t people here or elsewhere that thought it was an actual inquiry...then I’ve got some real estate to sell you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.