Stricklin sourcing Twitter

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I previously believed that SEC teams don't need to do this, but with us struggling to recruit after a spending decade in the toilet, I have changed my mind.
you really think strength of schedule is why we're not recruiting well?

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I don't disagree that it looks great to get a big win. I'm just not sure we need to roll those dice with our current slate. Look at the preseason perception of our schedule this year. Most considered it easy. But I think the 4 game stretch we're on(even including a scrappy Usce team) is as tough as any you'll see in college football this year. You just never know what to expect from teams like Lsu, Aub, uga, or even ut and fsu who won't be patsies forever.

If in fact it goes to 8 teams, then so be it, because 2 losses wouldn't kill your chances(still hate that idea, ftr). But as it is, a close loss in week 1 or 2, combined with a close loss to a team like Lsu would probably derail a national title bid. I just think in retrospect, we'd all be really frustrated at the decision, simply because it's entirely self-inflicted.

Those are solid points to consider, as well. As usual, your words bring thought. Though if the second loss came in the SEC title game, it might not be a deal breaker, depending on how the rest of the country's teams look. Regardless, as I mentioned earlier, this is a much better conversation than wondering if we will complete a pass in our next game, or if that really is a picture of our coach f+cking a shark.

bayou gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
you really think strength of schedule is why we're not recruiting well?

No, not necessarily. SOS isn't my primary concern. I think more exposure as a good team will help us more than anything else. The typical 17 year old recruit was 7 years old when we last had a great team. For most of their lives, we have been a program that had the stench of death on it. I want us to stamp a new impression upon their minds, and forever bury the memories of the past decade.

bayou gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I just dont understand how playing Clemson in 2037 helps.

Hell, I don't know... me neither. Maybe it doesn't. Or, maybe it will be the deciding factor for Tim Tebow, Jr.'s decision on where he wants to go to school. There's still hope for that kid

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
To me, that's garbage. Way too many teams. I loved our 2018 season for all the unexpected success, but we had no business being anywhere near a playoff. And neither did 2-loss Michigan, 2-loss Washington, or G5 Ucf.

I get it, but it is coming. ADs are preparing for this and it is nice to see Stricklin anticipating that with aggressive scheduling.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
If you're a 2-loss team you're just gonna get crushed in an 8-team playoff. It's a stupid thought. In college football the top 2-3 are usually miles ahead of the pack.
As a Florida fan. or any SEC team fan, the playoffs are just an unnecessary speed bump in route to the NC.
For us our schedule is tough enough. We have the SEC Championship game and FSU back to back. Even SOS had trouble with that. Why would anybody that calls themselves a Gator fan want to have to play two playoff games to then get to the NC? Makes zero sense.

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
If you're a 2-loss team you're just gonna get crushed in an 8-team playoff. It's a stupid thought. In college football the top 2-3 are usually miles ahead of the pack.
As a Florida fan. or any SEC team fan, the playoffs are just an unnecessary speed bump in route to the NC.
For us our schedule is tough enough. We have the SEC Championship game and FSU back to back. Even SOS had trouble with that. Why would anybody that calls themselves a Gator fan want to have to play two playoff games to then get to the NC? Makes zero sense.
Great point. I’m not for Or against an expansion. Though I’d like the opportunity almost year in and year out with the gators. It’s really a double edge sword. Your point is completely valid. This year will shake out the way it should. But, say there was an 8 team playoff this year. We’re more in the conversation (at this point of the season). It’s always win and your in. Unfortunately, we’ve never just done that without blemish and have won championships. Imagine if we had more opportunities. I feel like we match up well with everyone top to bottom this year if even as a 7/8 seed.

though I don’t agree a 2 loss team from the sec would get crushed by an undefeated Clemson or OSU this year.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Troy
Akron
Arky State
No never mind, scratch that.

Let’s go with:
Notre Dame
Southern Cal
Texas
Oregon
Wisconsin
Clemson
Oklahoma
maybe Boise State
These are a few I’d like to see.

**EDIT**- he said Power 5 which removes Boise, but I still think it would be fun to play them. I hear it beautiful out there but even if a home & home isn’t justified, a game in the Swamp would be fun.

Last edited:

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
Troy
Akron
Arky State
No never mind, scratch that.

Let’s go with:
Notre Dame
Southern Cal
Texas
Oregon
Wisconsin
Clemson
Oklahoma
maybe Boise State
These are a few I’d like to see.

**EDIT**- he said Power 5 which removes Boise, but I still think it would be fun to play them. I hear it beautiful out there but even if a home & home isn’t justified, a game in the Swamp would be fun.

I wouldn’t give ND the satisfaction of calling them P5 or give them home and home. Their ranking every year is unjustified and sooner rather than later when all the cards fall, if they refuse to believe they are above conference play their football program will become obsolete. We’re already seeing it.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018

Huh? Does he mean non-conference? Cause this should come with a few qualifiers

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

The problem is we don’t know if Clemson will be any good 18 years from now. They might suck and we’re stuck with a crummy game. If there was a way to leave a few more openings on the schedule just a few years out, that would help ensure we were playing a quality team.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hopefully our coaches would remember to hydrate the players when hosting Boise.

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
This was the opening topic on Finebaum today and Stricklin had a lengthy interview. Great content believe it or not. Explains his reasoning and says that he’s had a lot of teams reach out already.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

They're known for their impressive football complex. We figure, by then

Huh? Does he mean non-conference? Cause this should come with a few qualifiers

It means Brian Murphy is a moron who read something somewhere, thought he’d parrot the statement and couldn’t even get it right.

It’s embarrassing.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I don't disagree that it looks great to get a big win. I'm just not sure we need to roll those dice with our current slate. Look at the preseason perception of our schedule this year. Most considered it easy. But I think the 4 game stretch we're on(even including a scrappy Usce team) is as tough as any you'll see in college football this year. You just never know what to expect from teams like Lsu, Aub, uga, or even ut and fsu who won't be patsies forever.

If in fact it goes to 8 teams, then so be it, because 2 losses wouldn't kill your chances(still hate that idea, ftr). But as it is, a close loss in week 1 or 2, combined with a close loss to a team like Lsu would probably derail a national title bid. I just think in retrospect, we'd all be really frustrated at the decision, simply because it's entirely self-inflicted.

I know it's only a hypothetical, but in this scenario UF is going to SECC and a win there would surely put us in playoff. If that loss was to UGA your point could be more valid, but I think it today's inexact, perception-based system I think human voters would look more favorably on a loss to Oregon than a blowout win over Towson. Heck even I would.

I'm all in favor of stronger non conference scheduling. It's improved basketball and football is catching up. I'm excited about these future matchups and hoping to see more.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

To your first point, I would say five seasons is a pretty reasonable sample size.

Look at these scores:

59-20
42-20
38-0
37-17
31-0
24-7
24-6
30-3
44-16

These are the “best of the best” going head to head in either finals or semifinals. Of the 15 games played since going to the playoff, 9 haven’t even been competitive, and several were flat out bloodbaths. The simple fact is, while the BCS and AP systems occasionally picked the wrong teams, it didn’t mean that there were still more than two, maybe three teams that were legit contenders. The numbers don’t lie. There hasn’t even been a year where you could argue having 4 was necessary. There just aren’t that many great teams in any given year. Going to 8 will only make it more ridiculous.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hadn't seen this anywhere else, but the Iowa State AD is talking sh*t about the SEC only playing 8 conference games.

I love it that the SEC continues to tell the rest of college football to f*ck off about the 8 game schedule.

I can't post a tweet from this computer, but here's a cut and paste of the verbiage:

"We already play 10 P5 games every year (9 conference games plus Iowa). Maybe the @SEC should play 9 conference games like the @Big12Conference"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator