Summer Updates: Hev's pool, Slevin & Lil Reese's achilles in shambles

Would you listen to The Oxrageous Podcast weekly?

• Yes

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 36 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
In the comments section of his Derek Wingo article, Will Sammon said something interesting. He was told Amari Burney isn’t a “true money linebacker.” Sammon was quoting when he wrote it. He said Burney is the best fit for right now. The idea is to move him back to safety when they can.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a story on an FSU board that Jim Leavitt is looking to take an analyst job w/ UF, FSU, or LSU (and possibly an NFL team) for the 2019 season. He's in St. Pete now spending time w/ family and is still under contract w/ Oregon so he can't take a job until after June.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was told Amari Burney isn’t a “true money linebacker.” .
True middle linebacker?

Both the Will /weak LB and Mike/middle LB a(middle backers or inside backers in this scheme. The Sam--rarely on the field bc of nickel/star-- and Rush are essentially interchangeable, though we tend to have the Rush blitz 100% of the time and Sam cover the TE 100%.
The idea is to move him back to safety when they can.

Burney looks more like a strong safety to me so far, but we dont really play one.

And we have no inside backer options so it doesnt really matter. They should habe thought about that when landing six Rush/WDEs and zero ILBs the last two years.

I dont get it because this offense is designed to de- emphasize interior line (their job is just to occupy two blockers in basically any 3 man front) and force everything to the linebackers. I just don't understand why we've been struggling to land linebackers.

Last edited:

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
True middle linebacker?

That’s an accurate quote. Maybe he meant middle. Point stays the same. The staff doesn’t view him as a real linebacker. He’s getting the job because they don’t have better options. The talent is there and he’s bigger than Joseph I think. Not by much, but that’s a plus.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. The talent is there and he’s bigger than Joseph I think. Not by much, but that’s a plus.
If he knows the playbook, he is an upgrade over Joseph. I expect him to be a massive upgrade even if he isnt a true run-stuffing inside linebacker. Joseph was about 50/50 on knowing his assignment hitting the right hole, knowing which guy to cover. It was mind boggling.

I just hope Burney can handle the wear and tear. Inside backers catch a lot of guards under the chin. Its why we dont want them to be 200-210 pounds.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
True middle linebacker?

Both the Will /weak LB and Mike/middle LB a(middle backers or inside backers in this scheme. The Sam--rarely on the field bc of nickel/star-- and Rush are essentially interchangeable, though we tend to have the Rush blitz 100% of the time and Sam cover the TE 100%.

Burney looks more like a strong safety to me so far, but we dont really play one.

And we have no inside backer options so it doesnt really matter. They should habe thought about that when landing six Rush/WDEs and zero ILBs the last two years.

I dont get it because this offense is designed to de- emphasize interior line (their job is just to occupy two blockers in basically any 3 man front) and force everything to the linebackers. I just don't understand why we've been struggling to land linebackers.
I’m pretty sure Jesiah Pierre and Tyron Hopper can play inside linebacker.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
There's a story on an FSU board that Jim Leavitt is looking to take an analyst job w/ UF, FSU, or LSU (and possibly an NFL team) for the 2019 season. He's in St. Pete now spending time w/ family and is still under contract w/ Oregon so he can't take a job until after June.

Why did he leave Oregon?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
download.jpeg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m pretty sure Jesiah Pierre and Tyron Hopper can play inside linebacker.
They could. Johnny Townsend could too.

There is a reason they were projected at OLB and weigh 205 and 215.

Diwun Black was our best hope and even he was more of an edge player.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
@Swamp Donkey

Asked Sammon about the “money” term. He said it wasn’t an autocorrect. It is the name the staff uses for that linebacker spot. Vosean played that position last season. Burney is in that spot right now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
@Swamp Donkey

Asked Sammon about the “money” term. He said it wasn’t an autocorrect. It is the name the staff uses for that linebacker spot. Vosean played that position last season. Burney is in that spot right now.
Ok, so Mike and Money for the two inside backers. Makes sense.

Burney is certainly not a natural inside backer, and neither was Joseph.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Are we good getting everyone in? Friday is registration for Summer B and you would think the new recruits would be in by then. Arjei Henderson seems to be the only one its hard to get a 100% answer on from the recruiting sites.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Are we good getting everyone in? Friday is registration for Summer B and you would think the new recruits would be in by then. Arjei Henderson seems to be the only one its hard to get a 100% answer on from the recruiting sites.

He’ll be there in time according to ITG

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Per p Dooley...why not

Today: Five bold predictions for the season.

1. Florida will have a first-team selection on The Associated Press All-SEC team for the first time since 2012: Can you remember the last one? It was running back Mike Gillislee seven years ago. It has been a long time since Florida’s offense has been good enough to warrant a first-team selection (although Martez Ivey was second-team twice). If the offense takes another step forward with all of the talent at the skill positions, it will happen this year.
  2. The Gators will return multiple kicks for TDs: With the emphasis Dan Mullen puts on special teams and a couple of softies in the non-conference schedule, it is going to happen. UF only had one last year — Freddie Swain’s scintillating 85-yard punt return against Colorado State. That was the first punt return for a score since 2015 and Florida has had only one kickoff return for a score since 2013 (Antonio Callaway on an onside kick against Missouri in 2016). Paging Brandon James.
  3. UF will score a touchdown on a play Steve Spurrier gives Dan Mullen: The Ambassador was rebuffed by the previous coaching staff any time he made a suggestion, but his relationship with Mullen is 100-percent better. So what will it be? The double-reverse pass he used in his first game at Duke? The play where the tight end falls down and then drags quietly through the defense? Biddle down the middle? We’ll see.
  4. GameDay will be back in Gainesville: It has been since 2012 South Carolina that the GameDay boys and girls have set up camp outside The Swamp. We’ve seen them in Jacksonville and at some road games, but it’s been awhile since college football’s premier pregame show has been here. The best bet is the Auburn game.
  5. Florida’s season will come down to how the Gators handle three bye weeks: It’s a different animal dealing with three weeks off when you are used to only one. How Mullen and his staff work around the lost momentum of opening the season with a rivalry game and then taking a week off will be interesting. The Gators have Tennessee-Martin after the first bye week and then Georgia and FSU after the other two. Mullen is 0-1 so far at Florida, compared to a combined 6-3 by the previous two coaches. Urban Meyer was the king of bye weeks, going 8-0 during his Florida career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.