Swamp - $400M Makeover

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You underestimated how much we hated that place.

Fans were very happy overall with the move. The place at first was like visiting a spaceship. Very new, very different, way cool. When you opened the doors, you got the full effect. Whoooooosh.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Things change. I like the way Condron is "modern" and that's recent, so maybe they won't screw it up. Or we can yell at clouds.

Never said I was against the renovation, I simply stated that I am concerned about the outcome given the realities of the O’Dome project.

I will leave the clouds to you

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
10 years ago I would've gotten excited about this. I'd rather see 400 mil I'm nil deals

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’d like to see something better in regards to the north end zone seating, but I can’t imagine seeing$400M fix that.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Shared the story with someone with no love of the Gators and he proposed the idea of actually tearing down the Swamp and rebuilding it from scratch. He pointed out that Baylor, Minnesota & Tulane built a entirely new stadiums for around $300 million.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
After watching the demise of Gville downtown and NE of the campus I can only imagine what abomination they imagine a stadium in the 21st century will look like. Im with that 400mil going to getting players.........much like UGA does. Its all about just loading up on talent anymore.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
After watching the demise of Gville downtown and NE of the campus I can only imagine what abomination they imagine a stadium in the 21st century will look like. Im with that 400mil going to getting players.........much like UGA does. Its all about just loading up on talent anymore.

It all looks the same. Businesses on the bottom floor, condos/apartments above it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It all looks the same. Businesses on the bottom floor, condos/apartments above it.
And developers HATE the retail on the bottom floor... most of that (everywhere) is forced by the city because they think its a good idea, but in reality, in most places, it's a bitch to rent out/keep occupied. Not so hard near the stadium/campus (whatever the fuk "midtown" is), but if you go down 2nd Ave towards Main Street, you see that bottom floor retail/office space empty.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
$300 million to the players, $80 million to the team lawyers and $20 million to team PR firm.

Forward thinking.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Shared the story with someone with no love of the Gators and he proposed the idea of actually tearing down the Swamp and rebuilding it from scratch. He pointed out that Baylor, Minnesota & Tulane built a entirely new stadiums for around $300 million.
There's ZERO chance at building a stadium the size of the Swamp anymore for that figure - this isn't a pissant high-school stadium like Minnesota (50,000 capacity) or Tulane (30,000 capacity). It would probably cost a billion dollars or better to tear it down and build a modernized version. NFL stadiums are spending 5 billion+ now, and those are in new locations so it doesn't even include the huge cost of tearing the old one down.

Saying that, I'd bet Jeremy Foley could design a stadium that cheap. :fear:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's ZERO chance at building a stadium the size of the Swamp anymore for that figure - this isn't a pissant high-school stadium like Minnesota (50,000 capacity) or Tulane (30,000 capacity). It would probably cost a billion dollars or better to tear it down and build a modernized version. NFL stadiums are spending 5 billion+ now, and those are in new locations so it doesn't even include the huge cost of tearing the old one down.

Saying that, I'd bet Jeremy Foley could design a stadium that cheap. :fear:

I'm going to guess as much as 50% more when it's all done. And how is the UAA's largest-ever financial undertaking going to be financed? I haven't seen anything on that.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Neither Minnesota nor Tulane had an existing stadium to tear down, they both had been playing in stadiums shared with NFL teams. The Metrodome and the Superdome.

USF has also announced plans to build an on campus stadium and move out of Ray Jay.

Not having to demolish an old stadium simplifies things.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure they issue bonds
Sean Connery Name GIF by James Bond 007

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.