Tebow Calls Out Fans For Booing Team

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I have been looking for this awhile. Ponder and debate:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Teddy Roosevelt

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n91839 said:
So you've proven some points with this story. The fans were unhappy and displayed that unhappiness by booing. Instead of brooding, sulking, finger-wagging, and starting holier-than-thou threads on message boards, Edmonson actually did something about it. The Gators won the game and the fans were happy and stopped booing.

SO, it's safe to say that booing, even though we're told it should NEVER happen, is actually what got us the Mr. 2 Bits cheer in the first place. Without it, we would have never heard of Edmonson and that cheer wouldn't be a part of a beloved tradition today.

Thanks for showing us that booing gets results, PE.

:facepalm:

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n91829 said:
George Edmundson: The Two Bits tradition began spontaneously in 1949, when Edmondson was attending the opening game of Florida's football season against The Citadel, a school that he briefly attended before enlisting in the United States Navyduring World War 2.[SUP][2][/SUP] The Gators had lost five of their last six games the previous year and were not expected to do any better. When the fans booed the players and the coach even before the opening kickoff, Edmondson decided to boost their morale by leading them in a cheer about adding up bits (a "bit" is an eighth of a dollar, so eight of them would indeed total one dollar). The Gators won the game, and fans were so enthusiastic about Edmondson's cheer that he returned the next Saturday to lead it again. Eventually, he began leaving his seat to wander throughout the stands of Florida Field, leading fans in different sections in the cheer

This can't possibly be true.... Fans NEVER booed before this... We are such a wussy society.. These Men playing can take it... Furthermore, many are not students at all but young men looking for a leap to the NFL... Now, People want to pay them... As if the $80,000+ Scholarship with all of the clothing and perks weren't enough....

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
oxrageous;n91839 said:
So you've proven some points with this story. The fans were unhappy and displayed that unhappiness by booing. Instead of brooding, sulking, finger-wagging, and starting holier-than-thou threads on message boards, Edmonson actually did something about it. The Gators won the game and the fans were happy and stopped booing.

SO, it's safe to say that booing, even though we're told it should NEVER happen, is actually what got us the Mr. 2 Bits cheer in the first place. Without it, we would have never heard of Edmonson and that cheer wouldn't be a part of a beloved tradition today.

Thanks for showing us that booing gets results, PE.
You are right, many times out of boorish and childish behavior, a positive thing can result.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n91838 said:
Do you guys boo at high school games? I mean, you paid your seven bucks to get in there, amiright? Do the three months between high school graduation and college make all the difference?
I wasn't aware of anyone attending the high school games that was actually watching the game enough to care. We were watching the girls.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n91838 said:
Do you guys boo at high school games? I mean, you paid your seven bucks to get in there, amiright? Do the three months between high school graduation and college make all the difference?

Men their age are getting shot at overseas...

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
oxrageous;n91846 said:
I wasn't aware of anyone attending the high school games that was actually watching the game enough to care. We were watching the girls.
You mean you were not playing? With all your insights and knowledge I figured you at least played some HS ball. What was really hard was watching the girls and playing at the same time. But after the game it was much easier. ;) and it was more than "watching"

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n91844 said:
You are right, many times out of boorish and childish behavior, a positive thing can result.
Exactly. So why are we arguing? We completely agree.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n91855 said:
You mean you were not playing? With all your insights and knowledge I figured you at least played some HS ball. What was really hard was watching the girls and playing at the same time. But after the game it was much easier. ;) and it was more than "watching"

STUD alert!!!!!:burn:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n91855 said:
You mean you were not playing? With all your insights and knowledge I figured you at least played some HS ball.
I wish I could have played. I was 6'3" and 150 pounds. They used to use me to get the football out of the sewer. I was a passionate WR but one hit over the middle probably would have killed me.

P.S. - Doug Johnson was the QB at Buchholz while I was there. :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n91874 said:
I wish I could have played. I was 6'3" and 150 pounds. They used to use me to get the football out of the sewer. I was a passionate WR but one hit over the middle probably would have killed me.

P.S. - Doug Johnson was the QB at Buchholz while I was there. :lol:

He would have thrown a hole through your chest......if he could hit it. :lol:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n91851 said:
Men their age are getting shot at overseas...

Not sure what that has to do with anything regarding how booing affects the team dynamic but......okay.

So then you DO boo at high school games? What about Pop Warner? Those dudes get all kinna' swag and treats after the game. And you have to pay to get into those games too.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
divits;n91919 said:
Not sure what that has to do with anything regarding how booing affects the team dynamic but......okay.

So then you DO boo at high school games? What about Pop Warner? Those dudes get all kinna' swag and treats after the game. And you have to pay to get into those games too.
I have it good authority the guy was booing at his daughter's ballet recital.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n91958 said:
I have it good authority the guy was booing at his daughter's ballet recital.

I booed a kindergarten graduation.... JK... my point is, they are men, not "kids"
they can handle fans being fed up with a coach... UF isn't the only fanbase to have booed their coach...

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n91919 said:

On this line of reasoning, you equate the Aaron Hernandez/Chris Rainey behavior to Pop Warner kids... OKAY...:headslap:
You would fit in well on a Jimbo fisher staff...

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They really aren't men or kids, despite what the law technically says. It's some weird in between thing. Anyone who thinks they are grown at 18-21 is kidding themselves and this is coming from a guy who's been in a corporate profession since I was 19.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't realize how many hipster fans we had. Ox you could make a killing selling glasses and Apple products here ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator