Texas A&M transfer Blades to UF; no longer with team

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I don't think even the most loyal, optimistic Mullen fans here called this anything more than a "sure, I guess we'll take you" transfer. Maybe I'm wrong but it always seemed kind of a hohum, one year scenario at best..
One year maybe but he burned a fuchsing counter that should have been used on someone with 4 or at least more than 1 year of eligibility.

This is more idiotic roster management.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
One year maybe but he burned a fuchsing counter that should have been used on someone with 4 or at least more than 1 year of eligibility.

This is more idiotic roster management.

Yeah, I don't know the counters rule like some of you, but I recall you and ltraz mentioning the risk/reward not making much sense. I was just saying even without that, it was never a gamechanger type transfer like Bowman or VJ. He seemed to be the only one that cared with his twitter messages. Mullen has done ok with the portal, but Blades was never one of those arguments.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I don't know the counters rule like some of you...
The Rule is kind of simple:

You can only take 25 initial counters per year, so any new players on scholly are "counters" the first year they get the benefits.

There is also a rule that you can only take 25 NLIs from highs school players. The rules are actually independent but interplay. If an NLI kids never makes it to campus, they are never a counter.

In essence, every portal player takes away a 4 year kid, so a 1 year kid is never a good idea. Guys like Bowman with multiple years left make much more sense.

As with all things legalistic there are exceptions and exceptions to exceptions, countback rules allowing early enrollees to fill last years class etc.

However the fact that a 1 year transfer costs you a counter you SHOULD have used for a productive 3-4 year player is a simple concept.

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The Rule is kind of simple:

You can only take 25 initial counters per year, so any new players on scholly are "counters" the first year they get the benefits.

There is also a rule that you can only take 25 NLIs from highs school players. The rules are actually independent but interplay. If an NLI kids never makes it to campus, they are never a counter.

In essence, every portal player takes away a 4 year kid, so a 1 year kid is never a good idea. Guys like Bowman with multiple years left make much more sense.

As with all things legalistic there are exceptions and exceptions to exceptions, countback rules allowing early enrollees to fill last years class etc.

However the fact that a 1 year transfer costs you a counter you SHOULD have used for a productive 3-4 year player is a simple concept.

iu

Alex.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Honestly, I don't think even the most loyal, optimistic Mullen fans here called this anything more than a "sure, I guess we'll take you" transfer. Maybe I'm wrong but it always seemed kind of a hohum, one year scenario at best.

The bigger issue here is the fact that within days or weeks we'll be seeing him all over Twitter, doing a final four, taking visits, posing with coaches pleading for his transfer, and obviously no one in his life helping him learn any accountability or commitment. The whole thing is such a disservice to these young men and their future. Pretty sure he has like a 5 year old kid, and he's bouncing all around the country, playing games without an ounce of responsibility. Disaster.
Yes, and UF abetted and contributed to this situation.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I don't think even the most loyal, optimistic Mullen fans here called this anything more than a "sure, I guess we'll take you" transfer. Maybe I'm wrong but it always seemed kind of a hohum, one year scenario at best.

The bigger issue here is the fact that within days or weeks we'll be seeing him all over Twitter, doing a final four, taking visits, posing with coaches pleading for his transfer, and obviously no one in his life helping him learn any accountability or commitment. The whole thing is such a disservice to these young men and their future. Pretty sure he has like a 5 year old kid, and he's bouncing all around the country, playing games without an ounce of responsibility. Disaster.

There were a few people on here that said Blades would be a starter within a couple of games. I pushed back because he would not have transferred from A&M if he was starter material.

Logic gets lost here on a consistent basis

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Academic issues is what I read. Taking folks who transfer has risks, there usually is a reason they want to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.