Thank you, Kyle Trask

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a huge fan of Trask. The kid has done everything right, and his skill at throwing the ball is easily the best of the 3 potential returning starters.

That being said, I'm not 100% convinced that we aren't going to be a better team next year with EJ as the starter. No, I don't think he'll be as good a passer as Trask was this year, however I think its definitely possible the offense is more potent with a dual threat QB. The thing is that right now he comes into the game and usually either one of two things happens.....they snap it to him and he immediately takes off running and the whole defense goes after him, or he fades back and finds an open receiver because the defense is keying on him running. I think its quite possible that if he was an every down player, the defense would have to respect the pass a lot more, which would give him more running lanes. Further, the dual threat qb thing opens up the option run (which is just a ridiculous scheme IMO when you have a Trask back there). But mainly, the thing that is really deadly to cfb defenses is a qb that can fade back, make a couple reads, and either deliver the ball to an open guy or THEN take off running and get good yards. Heck, one of the most effective things Burrow does is scramble when nothing is open.

In any event, its a good problem to have IMO. Big thanks again to Trask for saving our season and I wish nothing but the best for this kid going forward.
God forbid maybe, just maybe, Mullen alters the offense to fit his skill set with an entire offseason to work on it. It's effing SAD some of us have to pine to stick Trask back on the bench because we have a coach that is so hell-bent on running a specific offense.

If Mullen isn't going to do it (and he isn't), I would hope he would be up front with Trask about it so he could at least have had the opportunity to think about a transfer.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Thank you, Kyle. GOD certainly smiled on the gators when he sent you and Donny Millens to save us from the abyss of mediocrity and sadness.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
God forbid maybe, just maybe, Mullen alters the offense to fit his skill set with an entire offseason to work on it. It's effing SAD some of us have to pine to stick Trask back on the bench because we have a coach that is so hell-bent on running a specific offense.

If Mullen isn't going to do it (and he isn't), I would hope he would be up front with Trask about it so he could at least have had the opportunity to think about a transfer.
Do you really think I'm pining to put Trask on the bench? I've only said it umpteen times on this forum that Trask has been awesome and if he's our QB then we need to build the offense around him. But none of that is contradictory to wondering if the team would be more effective overall with a dual threat QB. I don't know if you're up on current events, but running QBs are completely taking over the game even in the pros. And the reason is because it works.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Do you really think I'm pining to put Trask on the bench? I've only said it umpteen times on this forum that Trask has been awesome and if he's our QB then we need to build the offense around him. But none of that is contradictory to wondering if the team would be more effective overall with a dual threat QB. I don't know if you're up on current events, but running QBs are completely taking over the game even in the pros. And the reason is because it works.
So Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray mean that running QB’s are taking over the NFL? Nonsense. Both of those guys will run less and less as the years go on. They have to so they don’t get killed on the field.

NFL is a dropback passer’s league, always has been, and always will be.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray mean that running QB’s are taking over the NFL? Nonsense. Both of those guys will run less and less as the years go on. They have to so they don’t get killed on the field.

NFL is a dropback passer’s league, always has been, and always will be.
Get real. The "running" qb we're talking about is just a highly mobile qb compared the the Dan Marino/Philip Rivers type statues that are completely on the way out. The top 5 ranked NFL qbs right now are all in this category and that number will only go up. Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, Prescott, Wilson....get used to it. These dudes are way harder to defend than pure pocket passers.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Get real. The "running" qb we're talking about is just a highly mobile qb compared the the Dan Marino/Philip Rivers type statues that are completely on the way out. The top 5 ranked NFL qbs right now are all in this category and that number will only go up. Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, Prescott, Wilson....get used to it. These dudes are way harder to defend than pure pocket passers.
Truth

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Watson is running less and less and that will continue. Wilson is also running less and less and that will continue. And Mahomes doesn't run that much at all.

A guy like Cam Newton ran more than any QB in history and he is paying for it dearly now, all broken down at 30 years of age. NFL coaches don't want these guys running.

Now, there's a difference between a "mobile" QB (like Mahomes or Rodgers) and a "running" QB (like Jackson or Vick). I agree with you that QB's seem to be getting a little more mobile, but the NFL will never be taken over by running QB's. Quarterbacks are too valuable and franchises are extremely scared of them getting hurt.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bravo Kyle Trask! Just remember, the guy who knew Trask best, his h.s. coach swore Kyle was worthy of a scholarship. How right was that coach? Worth noting that KT was kept unused by a good dual-threat QB operating an offense totally dedicated to a dual play QB-- which is the puzzle-problem being addressed concerning next year with EJ v Trask. We've got 2 plenty talented QBs = hooray. What about EJ learning to be the passer equivalent to Kyle? Maybe Kyle learns to take off to daylight a bit better?

Gotta also consider Trask's mentation being capable of advancing his QB skills while just watching.? Does Kyle have the arm-strength to rifle some long strikes? If not, can he develop that? We sure could use that. Does EJ possess such arm strength?

I'm thinking 2 more talented WRs show up in 2020 to go with Toney, Pitts, Copeland, Grimes, etc. Very much hoping our newcomer starters fire up our old players to dominate, to maintain high spirits. This year was the first experience for Pitts, for Copeland = they will get even better.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Let me back this up with some stats over the last 3 years. These are rushing yards per game stats.

Russell Wilson
2017: 36.6
2018: 23.5
2019: 23.7

DeShaun Watson
2017: 38.4
2018: 34.4
2019: 25.0

Dak Prescott:
2017: 22.3
2018: 19.1
2019: 18.5

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
true that few called run plays for a qb will happen, but they are being allowed to utilize their athletic ability when the protection breaks down or the coverage is tight.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let me back this up with some stats over the last 3 years. These are rushing yards per game stats.

Russell Wilson
2017: 36.6
2018: 23.5
2019: 23.7

DeShaun Watson
2017: 38.4
2018: 34.4
2019: 25.0

Dak Prescott:
2017: 22.3
2018: 19.1
2019: 18.5
Geez man, nobody is talking about running the rambling wreck triple option in the NFL, its about extending plays and gaining yards instead of taking sacks.

If two QBs are both the same at passing, and one QB is better than the other one scrambling/running, then that guy is going to be a better overall player. Duh. The more difficult thing to figure out is if one guy is a better passer and one guy is a better runner, who is going to be the better overall player and move the more effectively?

Your example of Aaron Rogers is a good one. He moves around well and extends plays way better than a dude like Rivers and he wins more games because of it. Burrow is a great example of this, heck one of the biggest differences in the game we had with LSU was his ability to convert first downs with his legs when nobody was open.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Watson is running less and less and that will continue. Wilson is also running less and less and that will continue. And Mahomes doesn't run that much at all.

A guy like Cam Newton ran more than any QB in history and he is paying for it dearly now, all broken down at 30 years of age. NFL coaches don't want these guys running.

Now, there's a difference between a "mobile" QB (like Mahomes or Rodgers) and a "running" QB (like Jackson or Vick). I agree with you that QB's seem to be getting a little more mobile, but the NFL will never be taken over by running QB's. Quarterbacks are too valuable and franchises are extremely scared of them getting hurt.
200.webp

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Burrow is a great example of this, heck one of the biggest differences in the game we had with LSU was his ability to convert first downs with his legs when nobody was open.
Also, Grantham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.