The Athletic picks UF to go 3-9, dead last in the SEC East; have Napier on the hot seat

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How do you factor in recruiting for Vandy and Missouri and figure they’ll be better than us this year? It’s nonsensical.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
How do you factor in recruiting for Vandy and Missouri and figure they’ll be better than us this year? It’s nonsensical.

In Mizzou's case, they return 8 starters from what was a pretty good defense last year (Hopper as one of their big stars--fuchs you Mullen for messing that one up); and have a senior-heavy OL and RB core, along with a few good WRs (they had a really good freshman last year who was a highly rated recruit and landed a few good xfers).

Toss in the fact it's an away game for us and on the heels of playing georgia, Arkansas, and LSU in consecutive weeks and I think a lot of people are thinking we'll struggle vs an experienced team.

Not saying I agree, just looking at what others are factoring in.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
The Athletic is losing subscribers rapidly these days since Andy Staples left a month or so ago and they have become that petulant teenager who desperately needs attention.
My subscription expires in a couple of months and I will not be renewing either. If I want to read articles from low information writers attempting to goad me into something I would read the Gainesville Sun.
I get it automatically with NYT subscription, but otherwise I would have dropped it when they chose to not have a Florida specific writer. Our coverage there sucks and Manny Navaro is most likely to write about UF. You can guess how that usually goes. It went from the most insightful place to read about UF and real journalism to one of the worst.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
In Mizzou's case, they return 8 starters from what was a pretty good defense last year (Hopper as one of their big stars--fuchs you Mullen for messing that one up); and have a senior-heavy OL and RB core, along with a few good WRs (they had a really good freshman last year who was a highly rated recruit and landed a few good xfers).

Toss in the fact it's an away game for us and on the heels of playing georgia, Arkansas, and LSU in consecutive weeks and I think a lot of people are thinking we'll struggle vs an experienced team.

Not saying I agree, just looking at what others are factoring in.
I was listening to the GNFP today and they mentioned that Missouri actually had more blue chip talent than we do this year? That surprised me, even for as bad as we recruited/maintained recruits over the last few years. Its also late in the season, in miserable Mizzu, sandwiched between LSU and FSU, probably an 11am start if I had to guess.

Prime down game scenario.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was listening to the GNFP today and they mentioned that Missouri actually had more blue chip talent than we do this year? That surprised me, even for as bad as we recruited/maintained recruits over the last few years. Its also late in the season, in miserable Mizzu, sandwiched between LSU and FSU, probably an 11am start if I had to guess.

Ridiculous. Missouri has zero chance at winning. 0.0%.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don’t think that’s accurate. I won’t say they have no chance at beating us, but if we’re calling 4-5* players “blue chip”, there’s no way we have less than they do.

You’re right though on the trap aspect. A blah game against a blah opponent at 11am. On a positive note, we get to trade the “omg the altitude!!” talk for the inevitable “omg the cold!!” talk. Both are great, but I do favor the “these kids have never been south of 60” discussion.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Ridiculous. Missouri has zero chance at winning. 0.0%.

On the .001% chance we end up losing, would you consider selling me the board for my generous offer of $5000, payable in oxbucks?

Given the improbability of a loss, it's really not any risk to you or anything.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I don’t think that’s accurate. I won’t say they have no chance at beating us, but if we’re calling 4-5* players “blue chip”, there’s no way we have less than they do.

You’re right though on the trap aspect. A blah game against a blah opponent at 11am. On a positive note, we get to trade the “omg the altitude!!” talk for the inevitable “omg the cold!!” talk. Both are great, but I do favor the “these kids have never been south of 60” discussion.

The altitude in Utah may end up being a factor. I don't think it'll be, but there's an outside possibility.

There is zero chance that the weather in Missouri in November will be a factor. I'm not saying we'll for-sure win; but definitely saying it won't be because of cold weather. If anything, it's far easier to play in cooler weather than 100+ degree heat/humidity.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
The altitude in Utah may end up being a factor. I don't think it'll be, but there's an outside possibility.

There is zero chance that the weather in Missouri in November will be a factor. I'm not saying we'll for-sure win; but definitely saying it won't be because of cold weather. If anything, it's far easier to play in cooler weather than 100+ degree heat/humidity.
Yeah, if we cannot get their offense and defense off the field, altitude would appear to play a role.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I listened to that podcast, and they did not say that Mizzou had more blue chippers than UF. They did say, and I'm paraphrasing, that Mizzou has more blue chip talent than most people realize, and it's a dangerous game for UF because of when and where it'll be played.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I listened to that podcast, and they did not say that Mizzou had more blue chippers than UF. They did say, and I'm paraphrasing, that Mizzou has more blue chip talent than most people realize, and it's a dangerous game for UF because of when and where it'll be played.
Thats not what I remember, but as it didn't sound right to me and I'm not going to go back and listen....I stand corrected

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator