The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think what everyone is upset with is that Stricklin was not discrete. He trolled the fanbase and made it a public topic of discussion. He could have easily said that UF is conducting its coaching search by speaking to multiple coaches/representatives. We have no leaders or agreements. We are simply vetting all of our options. Instead he tweeted and tweeted again and again.

I don't necessarily agree with the tweeting obfuscation by Stricklin, but I think it's relatively small potatoes in the long run.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What a meltdown it would be if Nebraska went with Campbell and Frost decided to stay at UCF

One thing that people aren't mentioning is that if Frost stayed at UCF, he's not just committing to "another year". He's likely locking himself in for 3-4 years at least. The Nebraska job, which obviously pulls at heart strings is open. The UF job, which fits him and his family in so many ways, is open. Inevitably, both places will hire someone and have to give that person 3 years to prove themselves. So, if he stays, it's truly for the long haul, which I just don't see. It's now or never for him.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I think what everyone is upset with is that Stricklin was not discrete. He trolled the fanbase and made it a public topic of discussion. He could have easily said that UF is conducting its coaching search by speaking to multiple coaches/representatives. We have no leaders or agreements. We are simply vetting all of our options. Instead he tweeted and tweeted again and again.

Maybe this is why I don't have negative feelings about Strcklin. I don't tweet.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe this is why I don't have negative feelings about Strcklin. I don't tweet.
Well it fueled the Chip Kelly fervor. Stricklin was part of the problem of why it ran off the tracks as far as speculation and rumors. He didn't squash any rumors, he gave life to them.

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Nebraska sends Tom Osborne calling on Frost, it would be almost impossible for him to say no. Osborne is a diety in Nebraska.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Plane is owned by Kana Hotels, which is based in Knoxville. Could be a booster. Meridian looks about an hours drive away.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Well it fueled the Chip Kelly fervor. Stricklin was part of the problem of why it ran off the tracks as far as speculation and rumors. He didn't squash any rumors, he gave life to them.

He said that he would not respond to rumors and that we should not as well. What tweets? I remember one about him speaking at during a class at UF. I also remember some tweets that were from fake accounts.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He said that he would not respond to rumors and that we should not as well. What tweets? I remember one about him speaking at during a class at UF. I also remember some tweets that were from fake accounts.
he tweeted things out about patience and things like that. The problem being that they came off as non-denials. So instead of taking control of a narrative, he let the excitement get out of hand. As things ramped up, he had a responsibility to dampen expectations. His tweets actually fueled the frenzy.

imagine being at work and a rumor started that your company was being bought out and not many would be retained. How would the workforce respond to an interoffice email telling people to be patient and trust management. They'd go ape **** crazy as opposed to squelching the rumor.

Stricklin got cute on twitter. I don't think he intentionally riled up the base, but it happened and he never corrected the narrative. Instead, during the height of the excitement, he allows himself and the Prez to get caught on camera flying back from NH amidst twitter rumors made by the son of someone highly connected to the UAA. That's why everyone thought there was a signed contract, because you couldn't possibly handle it that way and not have it sewn up. Well, it really was handled poorly and the optics were crap. I'm also becoming more open to Law's idea of cleaning out the entire bureaucracy in the AD's office.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Just throwing my $0.02 in, but the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think Sumlin would be the homerun we're looking for.

I've heard all of the points against him. And some are valid. But let's not pretend he's been a failure at ATM. He's held his own against the mighty SECw. Or as well as can be expected.

My angle is this... He would absolutely feast in recruiting at Florida. His personality would be alpha in the state. Regardless of what's being said around here, I think our problems are deeply rooted in the last 2 staffs inability to recruit and in Champ's case, recruit a balanced roster. That's why I wanted Kelly. To hell with his offensive schemes. I knew he would be great for recruiting.

Zook was a really good recruiter, but he couldn't get the program changers. Urban comes in and immediately signs what will be remembered as the greatest class in school history. I think Sumlin could do that for us. Honestly I think Justin Fields could do that for us. Matt Corral is a decent QB. And he'd be better than what we've had, but Fields would change the perception of the organization. With Fromm and Eason at UGA, I feel he's still at play for the right coaching staff.

edit: I know I'll probably get ridiculed for this, but I'm operating under the assumption that Frost isn't a realistic option. After the Kelly ordeal, I'm exhausted of the constant rumors and sources. I'm just trying to drum up interest in more likely candidates.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@FootballScoop: Staff payroll (HC + assts) per USA Today’s data:

Alabama - $16.4M*
Texas A&M - $9.8M
LSU - $9.3M
Auburn - $9.2M
Florida - $9M
UGA - $8.4M
South Carolina - $8.4M

*Alabama includes $4M bonus for Saban connected to extension

https://FootballScoop.com/The-Scoop

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
who are the best 2 or 3 best insiders to follow on twitter regarding our hire. I already have Bruce Feldman

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just throwing my $0.02 in, but the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think Sumlin would be the homerun we're looking for.

I've heard all of the points against him. And some are valid. But let's not pretend he's been a failure at ATM. He's held his own against the mighty SECw. Or as well as can be expected.

My angle is this... He would absolutely feast in recruiting at Florida. His personality would be alpha in the state. Regardless of what's being said around here, I think our problems are deeply rooted in the last 2 staffs inability to recruit and in Champ's case, recruit a balanced roster. That's why I wanted Kelly. To hell with his offensive schemes. I knew he would be great for recruiting.

Zook was a really good recruiter, but he couldn't get the program changers. Urban comes in and immediately signs what will be remembered as the greatest class in school history. I think Sumlin could do that for us. Honestly I think Justin Fields could do that for us. Matt Corral is a decent QB. And he'd be better than what we've had, but Fields would change the perception of the organization. With Fromm and Eason at UGA, I feel he's still at play for the right coaching staff.
He had a couple highly ranked QBs bolt on him in the same years. Would love to know what happened there.

Kyle Allen and Kenny Hill

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Sumlin would have been a good option, but we decided to drag this out until next season while others are hiring minutes after they fire.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I like Strong and I think most Gator fans feel the same way about him, for what he's helped us do in the past. But he would just end up being average here probably. I would really hate it for Strong to have this fanbase turn on him after all he done for us in the past, but that's what would happen.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB
Bruce Feldman Retweeted Dan Wolken

Have heard something similar about #Tennessee and Schiano and that there's strong interest in him.. He's had some traction there for awhile.

Bruce Feldman added,

Dan WolkenVerified account @DanWolken
Sources: As the last 24 hours have evolved, Greg Schiano has emerged as the focus of Tennessee’s search. Vols have also been engaged with Mullen, who has been trying to wait out Florida.
12:38 PM - 26 Nov 2017

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB
Bruce Feldman Retweeted Dan Wolken

Have heard something similar about #Tennessee and Schiano and that there's strong interest in him.. He's had some traction there for awhile.

Bruce Feldman added,

Dan WolkenVerified account @DanWolken
Sources: As the last 24 hours have evolved, Greg Schiano has emerged as the focus of Tennessee’s search. Vols have also been engaged with Mullen, who has been trying to wait out Florida.
12:38 PM - 26 Nov 2017

We better not end up with Mullen. Let him go to Tenn if he wants out of Miss State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator