The Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
I have good news for threat. I came home yesterday to find my daughter had predicted (with a pair of scissors) who our next coach would be... 20171109_074346.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's Mike Norvell speaking to a local TD Club (someone more computer savvy than I could possibly post the video). I'm 100% in the Frost camp, but this guy is definitely #2 (for me):

Memphis Tiger coach Mike Norvell wows them at the Touchdown Club

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...vell-butch-jones-coaching-carousel/838718001/

Five quick thoughts on Memphis football coach Mike Norvell’s rousing appearance at the Touchdown Club on Monday night:

1. The guy was tremendous. But don’t take my word for it, take the word of a Tennessee fan who was at the event and said, when it was over, “I want him.”

Memphis fans should be happy that no athletic directors from other schools were in attendance, because they’d have wanted to hire Norvell on the spot. He started by going to every table and shaking hands with each person in attendance. I’ve never seen that before.

Then, when Steve Ehrhart introduced Briarcrest running back (and Memphis commit) Tyler Badie as the AutoZone Liberty Bowl high school player of the week, Norvell — who wasn’t allowed to speak with Badie, because it’s a dead period for recruiting — leapt to his feet to cheer the kid, to the immense amusement of the crowd.

Said Ehrhart, deadpan: “I’ve never seen that. A standing ovation of one.”

CLOSE
icon_close.png

Memphis football coach Mike Norvell revealed he held a team meeting to address rumors about being a candidate for jobs at other schools. Mark Giannotto/The Commercial Appeal

2.Then Norvell gave a stemwinder of a stump speech. Someone who had seen me at Tennessee coach Butch Jones’s appearance at the Touchdown Club a few weeks ago put it this way: “Isn’t it more fun being at a wedding than a wake?” Norvell got a huge ovation when it was over. More than one person told me he was among the best speakers they’d ever had. Norvell has always had his strengths — incredible energy, genuine personal charm, the ability to connect to players and recruits, a creative tactical mind — but I wouldn’t have necessarily listed public oratory among them. At least, until now.

3. Of course, Norvell has a lot to talk about, with the Tigers heading into their bye week with an 8-1 record and ranked in the Top 25.

As Norvell put it, looking out at a group that included fans from all sorts of schools: “We have people that like to wear orange, we have people that like to wear red, we have people that like to wear blue.

But at the end of the day, being a Memphian, there’s something extremely special about that. Because this community, and the team that I get to lead, we all represent each other. (Tuesday) night, at about 7 o'clock I believe, they’re going to do the Top 25, they’re going to do the show.

And when you sit there and you turn on that television, and you see the University of Memphis show up and that logo pops up, they might not talk about us, but there’s going to be a sense of pride in everybody sitting in this room because we represent you.”

4.Norvell addressed the opportunity in front of Memphis head-on.

“And as we’re going into this bye week, we understand that this is the most important work week that we have, because the next opportunity, 11 o’clock, right out there on the field of the Liberty Bowl here in two Saturdays, we’re going to be in a championship game, because if we win that game, we will win the Western Division Championship in the American Conference,” he said.

“And I can promise you that you’re going to get our very best to the end. And whatever color that’s in the core of you, get your butt there to the Liberty Bowl next Saturday. Come support this team because, man, they are doing something special.”

5. Yes, Norvell was asked about other jobs — indirectly, at least. The last question went like this: “Coach, you wouldn’t ever think about coaching at Ole Miss, would you?”

Norvell laughed and said, “Not one day goes by that we do not think about this group, and when I say this group, this community we represent. Being the head coach at the University of Memphis, the greatest thing about it is the people we represent.”

So put that down as a no comment. But a sincere one, at least. Norvell does consider it a privilege to represent this city. He genuinely likes his current gig. As for the rest, let's just see how it plays out. Starting next Saturday at the Liberty Bowl.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have good news for threat. I came home yesterday to find my daughter had predicted (with a pair of scissors) who our next coach would be...

Listen, I think I know where you’re going with this. And I’m typically all for diversity and cutting edge thinking. But I think Dora would be a dreadful hire. Just the fact that she’s always asking questions tells me she’s simply not ready for a job like UF.

“Do you think we should go for it on 4th down(blink blink)...”

I’m out.

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
Listen, I think I know where you’re going with this. And I’m typically all for diversity and cutting edge thinking. But I think Dora would be a dreadful hire. Just the fact that she’s always asking questions tells me she’s simply not ready for a job like UF.

“Do you think we should go for it on 4th down(blink blink)...”

I’m out.

Looks like a mullet to me

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Sure Norvell is building off of Fuente's success, but what's impressive is that he is building, not maintaining. It's difficutl

I wouldn't mind a couple of those guys here, but I doubt he'd bring many over. None of those guys really have recruiting ties to Florida, but they do have ties to Tenn, Miss, Louisiana, Missouri, etc. It looks Norvell was very strategic in hiring staff that had recruiting ties to that area and the surrounding states, which was smart. If he came to UF, he would likely do the same. I think it's also likely that he'd retain a few coaches from the current staff too, but definitely not the OC, spec. teams, and strength coach.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's great stuff. Sports bar atmosphere indeed. Side drama in every thread.

upload_2017-11-9_10-38-17.jpeg

I would like to see an article about how the wrong coach would not benefit Florida.
Amazingly and after hundreds of feel-good reassurance and "It'll Get Better" articles, I think a couple might have come out connected to the train of thought you reference. The cutting edge of Journalism...

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I want to thank Williston, BMF and a few others who keep adding new info to the thread from outside sources. For over a week now I'll come here, skim through the slap fights (of which there are many), and then stop to read the new stuff they post. I always chuckle to myself at all the chaff, sidebar conversations and fights that go on in all our threads.

:lol:

Perhaps if you had gone to school during your formative years instead of staying home and breastfeeding until you were 12 years old you might have learned to read, dooshbag. I clearly said,.....AND I QUOTE......."and a few others".

Eat a bag of dicks.

Talking about slap fights, etc... then gets one slightly negative response (actually just a sarcastic one) and then responds with the above quote)... I'm sorry but that's just funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator