Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I've been pretty upset with some aspects of Gator football the last 5 years, and rightfully so. It's like Tim Tebow absorbed every good Gator vibe in history and used it to make him Superman. Then when he left, he took it with him, leaving us with no more mojo, no luck, no swagger, no positive vibes at all. The football Gods abandoned UF. Practically everything that could possibly go wrong has happened. All the good stuff seemed to transfer over to FSU, which gets every recruit, every break, every ball bouncing their way, etc. To say it's been humbling and tough to swallow is an understatement.

Someone like Jeremy Foley has been a symbol of the whole mess. A lot of the criticism is fair and warranted, some of it probably isn't. But one thing for sure is that he IS a Gator, and we've beat it pretty hard into the ground at this point. With Muschamp finally gone, Foley has become the new Gator punching bag.

Running your own message board presents some challenges. The GCMB runs the way I like it to run, and that is that it's mostly free-speech based among Gator fans. As long as you don't get too deep into personal attacks, you are allowed to be critical of the program. Generally speaking, if you're way off base you'll be shouted down, which is the way message boards should work. Internal discipline, so to speak. However, if you're NOT off base (such as criticism of the performance of the AD), the conversations will take on life, perhaps too much life....and drag on too long.

One point to make is that message boards ALWAYS have negative nellies, no matter how great the team is playing. In 2008 on the GSMB, we had a handful of people that were always dwelling on what was wrong with the team, even in the middle of a record win streak. What happened was that they were laughed at, and made fun of, and were never taken that seriously. And why? Because everyone could see how great the product on the field was. We just kept winning.

The problem is that we're not winning anymore. I think Muschamp was 27-20 in four years, which is incomprehensible. So when that growing group of negative nellies starting harping again, it was more and more difficult to laugh at them or ignore them. Because they weren't really being stupid anymore. They were right....we sucked. Gator football truly sucked, something no one had experienced in over two decades. Hell, something no Gator internet message board had EVER experienced, since they weren't in existence pre-Spurrier. How would we handle it?

Not well.

Other message boards don't allow much negativity and simply started banning people. Sunshine and rainbows and nothing else. I've never cared for that. I see internet forums as sounding boards for fans. Let them get it all out. It's therapy. How many lives have been saved by fan message boards? Without a place to let it out, fans may turn to violence.....shootings, beatings, even suicides. We perform a real service to the community here.

And this is a good place to remind you that I ONLY allow b!tching and moaning from the Gator faithful. If a non-Gator attempts to bash the program in any way, he's a goner. Rival guests on this board are expected to maintain a certain level of respect.

However, we get to the flip side. Negativity can also overtake a message board. It's usually a small but vocal percentage of people that are so angry about the state of the program that they want everyone else to be angry too. Constant thread hijackings, Buzz Killington flyby's, taking a swipe at anyone being positive, etc. I admit that while I've learned to mostly ignore it, it gets old. I understand their anger, I truly do. Being where we were at the top of the mountain, to being where we are now seemingly fighting it out with the bottom of the SEC, is horrible.

So what ends up happening is some really great posters start to post less, or fade away entirely. Some contact me privately and ask me to help clean up the board. However, how can I do that without doing what the other message boards do? Censor people, ban them, etc. One thing I've learned being in management for the past 8 years:

It is impossible to make everyone happy.

The point of this very long diatribe is this: take time to think about what you're posting. Is it really necessary to take a swipe at your fellow Gator? Is ripping into Foley at this point really doing any good? Do you want to be labeled as a constantly angry, negative jerk? I really want people to think before they hit that "Post" button.

As for those who are unhappy with a lot of the negativity right now, one thing to keep in mind is that it's the offseason. Everything is magnified, because everyone is bored and looking for anything to talk about. I welcome "spirited" debates during the offseason, because I'm flattered people want to come around here at all. I don't even mind an insult or two, just don't go overboard with it. :lol:

I have just started a new job and am restoring a car with a lot of my off time, so I haven't been around as much. However, you can always send me a PM with any questions or concerns. GatorJ and Nav are also around to help, and they do a great job.

I'm asking EVERYONE to think about what I just wrote. Don't act like you didn't read every word - I know you did. :dance:

Let's continue to make Gatorchatter the most passionate message board on the entire internet. We are going to have a lot of fun when the season starts.

GatorGrad

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OKOK I get the point...I'll start posting more!!!

Geeeeeeeeees you sure went out of your way to beg me to post more..

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's a darn good question. What state is the board in? I can never really figure that kind of stuff out. Is the board where Ox lives? Or where some super secret servers are kept in another state? Inquiring minds want to know!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorGrad;n224055 said:
OKOK I get the point...I'll start posting more!!!

Geeeeeeeeees you sure went out of your way to beg me to post more..
It's people like yourself I would love to see post more. Let's get some different and new people involved. For those lurkers reading this, please register and get involved. We always need new people to inject things into the conversation.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Excellent summary, Ox.

All message boards have dissenting viewpoints and that's fine but some on this site complain to the point of exhaustion. Substantive discussion is one thing, adding a negative comment to EVERY thread on every topic is in no way appealing. If you don't like baseball (or whatever) it's not necessary to broadcast that you think it's boring or stupid over and over and over.

I think many reasonable people just go find another way to spend their time. Which is a shame because there are lots of smart, interesting people on this board, including those who don't agree with me!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n224057 said:
That's a darn good question. What state is the board in? I can never really figure that kind of stuff out. Is the board where Ox lives? Or where some super secret servers are kept in another state? Inquiring minds want to know!
I take back everything I said about Nav being helpful. :facepalm:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this was going to be about the appearance change when using my iPhone. I don't know what happened but it sucks.

As as for what was written, why didn't you just send this as a PM to Law and save us all the time?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Attachments

• conv_3215.jpg
    conv_3215.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 73

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatormac2112;224077 said:
I was just about to go on a killing spree, but I decided to check the boards first.

Glad I did.

2817e3a0374aa518695556588496ac19.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ox thesis for dummies. THINK before you post. YOU have beaten a dead horse to dust and now are beating the dust. It is the offseason so hang in there. WE DO NOT want this to be like other forums so the :ban::ban:ing and censoring is minimal. Excellent post by Ox.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As Americans ( I believe we all are, but foreign gator fans are welcomed too) freedom of speech is ingrained in our upbringing. A society with open discussions, debates and an exchange of ideas is a sign of civilized humans. Now in that group are those more outspoken, vocal, passionate about a subject, deal with it! This is also the internet where keyboard warriors sometimes allow a nasty side (the dark side *cue evil laugh*) to take over, similar to road rage in vehicles, grow a thicker skin, learn to use the ignore feature, laugh it off. To go off meekly in to the night and stop posting? c'mon grow a pair! Stay part of the conversation, join up with the sunshine pumpers and throw light on that dark spot, eventually it will fade, maybe even fade away.

This is the best board on the planet!! I enjoy my fellow posters, Gator family members, :grouphug:We've fallen on hard times as a program, but we aren't fair weather fans like most programs have. We will be back on top one day, almost everyone will be happy and we'll look back on the beginning of this board and laugh about those early threads..

Ox, thanks a million again for getting this up and running, good luck on the new job and restoration of the car, it's summer, let the loonies run the insane asylum until season gets near.

Go Gators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator