The Death of College Football

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Slip, slip. slippery slope gets you every time. Progress isn't always positive no matter how forward you lean. Change is rarely for the better, and only by blind luck.
It started with all of you Nancy's begging for playoffs. CFB was unique, every game counted, and sometimes you had to win the beauty contest to be eligible. One-hit wonders didn't get invited. Your body of work was considered.
For us Gators we had our playoff at the end of every season; beat halF aSs U, win the SECCG and we're in like Flynn. Ah the good ole days. We had the Bowl Coalition that turned into an Alliance and now what? Sixty-four team playoff. Give 'em an inch, and they take a mile; NIL, free agency, targeting, pink uniforms, cats sleeping with dogs. Ask yourself, is CFB better now than it was 40 years ago?

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
I cannot not root for the team wearing Orange and Blue. Having said that, the current state of college athletics and football in particular makes it hard to care. My hope is that Congress outlaws the whole mess as too dangerous for young men so I don't have to deal with Florida fielding a team. I don't watch pro sports at all; why would I care about mostly ignorant people playing meaningless games for absurd amounts of money? If you aren't in college to learn and do something meaningful for society, you are wasting everyone's time and someone's money.
Dream on

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Slip, slip. slippery slope gets you every time. Progress isn't always positive no matter how forward you lean. Change is rarely for the better, and only by blind luck.
It started with all of you Nancy's begging for playoffs. CFB was unique, every game counted, and sometimes you had to win the beauty contest to be eligible. One-hit wonders didn't get invited. Your body of work was considered.
For us Gators we had our playoff at the end of every season; beat halF aSs U, win the SECCG and we're in like Flynn. Ah the good ole days. We had the Bowl Coalition that turned into an Alliance and now what? Sixty-four team playoff. Give 'em an inch, and they take a mile; NIL, free agency, targeting, pink uniforms, cats sleeping with dogs. Ask yourself, is CFB better now than it was 40 years ago?
Not only no, but hell no

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NIL, Transfer portal, kneeling for the National Anthem, 30% foreign enrollment in a state land grant university, Title 9. Shall I continue.
B52 misses the days when UF was nothing but slow ass, unathletic white boys.

It is one thing to pine for the 90s or late 2000s and football glory. It is another thing entirely to pine for the days when our teams sucked and the school was full of mediocre students who didnt score well on the SAT. But at least they were white, I guess.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My best friend made the same case. Four NY day bowls and they voted for the best team at the end of the day. But the Rose Bowl was locked into two conferences. Sugar Bowl got SEC. Cotton Bowl got what,......the SWC. Instead of 1 winner and 100 losers you had winners from all the bowls that you were happy to be in. I guess it went to shttt when they had the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl. (Birmingham? )

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
None of the changes were made to make the product better for the fans or the experience better for the student athletes. They were made to make more money. Greed and nothing else.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Im probably going to get dragged but I really dont think its dead. I just think we stopped putting a lipstick on the pig and calling it pretty when what we have all wanted is the pig. Players have been getting paid this whole time but now its legal. Im a fan of that for several reasons. So many different entities are making a lot of $ off the players I dont think its fair to not let them make some money too. The universites are making a killing on the backs of the players. Their coaches are making millions too. At the top football universities a majority of the players aren't there to get a typical 4 year degree, they are there to get into the NFL. That is the education they are seeking: to get developed into an attractive NFL prospect. The smart ones study and try to get a 4 year degree as the fall back plan if they dont get to the league as well as something to transition to once their NFL careers are done if they do get into the league.

So places like Florida need to get that football program into a program that offers development into the NFL. For the most part, UF has done that even though Foley made us a dumpster fire instead of leading us into that 'arms race' which would have made things much different now instead of us having to play catch up. We have the facilities now and we have the supporting staff. And compared to many of the other schools out there we got deep pockets and exposure for NIL opportunities now even though we fugged that up initially as well. We are also the largest university in the state that produces the best high school talent and bordered next to another state that is top 5. We are just lacking in the development of the players. Until that changes we arent going to be attracting the top players, we will get some but we will mostly be getting the leftovers.

Foley's ignorance and arrogance killed us and Napier's 'long game' approach is kicking the dead horse. If Foley hadn't acted like Facilities didnt matter as well as hire morons we'd be killing it right now and nobody would be crying about the Death of College Football. We'd be relishing it, enjoying it, rubbing our rivals noses in it. Everything is death and dying when you suck.

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
B52 misses the days when UF was nothing but slow ass, unathletic white boys.

It is one thing to pine for the 90s or late 2000s and football glory. It is another thing entirely to pine for the days when our teams sucked and the school was full of mediocre students who didnt score well on the SAT. But at least they were white, I guess.
So, I don't know when Florida sucked academically. When I was admitted, you had to be in the top 7th centile on the Florida 12th Grade Exam. SATs weren't required. The school was for Floridians, mainly men. The Engineering, Medical and Law Colleges were all the best in state and perhaps the southeast. The intercollegiate athletic teams didn't suck, well except basketball, but championships weren't the focus. We still had Steve Spurrier, Larry Smith, Jack Youngblood, Carlos Alvarez, John Reaves, Tommy Durance, etc. And I was in classrooms with several of them. I miss the days when college athletes were students and held to the same academic standards as the rest of the student body.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So, I don't know when Florida sucked academically. When I was admitted, you had to be in the top 7th centile on the Florida 12th Grade Exam. SATs weren't required. The school was for Floridians, mainly men. The Engineering, Medical and Law Colleges were all the best in state and perhaps the southeast. The intercollegiate athletic teams didn't suck, well except basketball, but championships weren't the focus. We still had Steve Spurrier, Larry Smith, Jack Youngblood, Carlos Alvarez, John Reaves, Tommy Durance, etc. And I was in classrooms with several of them. I miss the days when college athletes were students and held to the same academic standards as the rest of the student body.

See, I don’t have any problem with this position. I’ve said since the beginning of this garbage that there needs to be a change in the “three years removed” mindset. If a kid feels like he’s ready, or close to being ready for the NFL, and that’s his only objective, let him go the moment he is done with high school. Who cares? Leave college football for those kids that truly want to play for the love of the game and to represent their school while getting an education. Everyone thinks of Vanderbilt or Northwestern as being boring, no chance of success type football. But that’s because the playing field isn’t level. There wouldn’t be a modern day Alabama or Georgia playing against them. The entertainment value would be just as good because of that, just as lower tier conferences and even FCS teams still have great attendance and support. There’d also be a lot less drama, and these kids who have NFL aspirations only could get paid way earlier. Done.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
See, I don’t have any problem with this position. I’ve said since the beginning of this garbage that there needs to be a change in the “three years removed” mindset. If a kid feels like he’s ready, or close to being ready for the NFL, and that’s his only objective, let him go the moment he is done with high school. Who cares? Leave college football for those kids that truly want to play for the love of the game and to represent their school while getting an education. Everyone thinks of Vanderbilt or Northwestern as being boring, no chance of success type football. But that’s because the playing field isn’t level. There wouldn’t be a modern day Alabama or Georgia playing against them. The entertainment value would be just as good because of that, just as lower tier conferences and even FCS teams still have great attendance and support. There’d also be a lot less drama, and these kids who have NFL aspirations only could get paid way earlier. Done.
That’s the NFL, not the NCAA, mandating the timeline for entering the league. They know 18-20 year olds are physically mature enough the play in the league so they use the NCAA as their one and only farm system. I have no idea what the NCAA could possibly do to change that.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Saban thinks NIL is killing CFB

Nick Saban thinks college football in its current format will eventually hit a breaking point.

The sport we all love has been taken over by NIL and the transfer portal. Players have never had more freedom of movement or ability to earn money than they do right now.

That’s not to say movement and money are bad things. This is America, after all, but it seems like the sports is becoming the wild west and unrecognizable.

Saban, who is on the hunt for his eighth ring, believes there will be a “thunderbolt” event that ultimately changes everything if some guardrails aren’t developed.

I think it’s going to continue in the same direction that it’s going until something happens. I call it a thunderbolt, where maybe people start dropping sports because the finance part of it can’t make sense in terms of what you can reinvest in non-revenue sports. Or, some players out there don’t get what they were promised and there’s lots of lawsuits and stuff, you know. There is going to be some kind of a thunderbolt because this is not a system that we have right now that has any guardrails, and in most competitive venues there are some that control what you can and can’t do…Right now, it’s a game of whoever is willing to invest the most has the best chance of having the best team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.