The definitive Jeremy Foley life story

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jeremy made a name for himself under Bill Carr in the early 1980s as the ticket manager. As it turns out, he was pretty good at selling tickets to UF football games at a time when everyone wanted a ticket to a UF football game. So he got promoted to associate athletic director for business affairs because he could sell tickets. When Carr left in '86, Foley became interim AD. Well, guess what? UF hired Bill Arnsparger for the permanent post after Foley failed a basic football IQ test by one question: True or false, the team with the most points wins the game. That answer haunted him for years.
This is his resume in a nutshell.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes but he did a great job in making UF compliant with title nine and keeping us out of trouble. Both massive accomplishments in my view. And then kept us in compliance with the new rules about academics, and keeping us solvent in an era when some idiots think that Dem financial leadership is the way to go.

Now of course he did not make good decisions about football coaches, but it is not like he could hire whoever he might want, or could see into the future either.

All in all he was at least a B+ grade in my view.

I agree that he got us in compliance with Title Nine but we didn't avoid "getting us in trouble" because nobody got in any real trouble over Title Nine.
Half of the ACC, including Duke, was non-compliant on Title Nine and they did not suffer any meaningful penalties

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You left an award he received off the list.

In 2009 he received the "Most Shortsighted AD" award for deciding that UF did not need to compete in the arms race with facilities. Here we are a decade later and we are still playing catch up.

So when do we present him with the "Get the He!! Out of Town" award?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Damn it, @78 - how can this be "definitive Jeremy Foley life story" if it doesn't include the ending? I feel cheated.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I agree that he got us in compliance with Title Nine but we didn't avoid "getting us in trouble" because nobody got in any real trouble over Title Nine.
Half of the ACC, including Duke, was non-compliant on Title Nine and they did not suffer any meaningful penalties
The and keeping us out of trouble was in addition to the title nine activities, the and meant that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Apologies for the sucky thread. I threw it together real fast. It missed its target.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Your definition of success is pretty low for a guy being paid almost a million a year
Fooely paid himself 1.5 mil a year, twice as much as Bammer's AD.

He wasnt a tight ass with people who worked in the ADO either. Those hordes of asst manager of skittles procurement types are all making 200-500k.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Your definition of success is pretty low for a guy being paid almost a million a year

Well everyone has their own opinion, mine is shared by many, and a million is not that much anymore. His best thing is keeping UF out of future financial trouble by not borrowing large amounts of money, and getting our academics in line with the future.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well everyone has their own opinion, mine is shared by many, and a million is not that much anymore. His best thing is keeping UF out of future financial trouble by not borrowing large amounts of money, and getting our academics in line with the future.
Yes, shared by many at Vandy. And some Div3 teams.

Most of us think sitting on 120-140 million per year (top 2 to top 10 revenue) and being a fvkking slumlord with facilities worthy of 1AA is gross negligence.

Luckily the azzhats who think like you are now being ignored.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
You left an award he received off the list.

In 2009 he received the "Most Shortsighted AD" award for deciding that UF did not need to compete in the arms race with facilities. Here we are a decade later and we are still playing catch up.

So when do we present him with the "Get the He!! Out of Town" award?

With our posters I am surprised that it has not already been given, with the real world probably never.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not going to read the entire thread. But like most cases, there has to be some balance.

He's a decent guy who is on a first name basis with several in my family, and has done some personal favors for me. So for that I’m grateful. But he was also paid very well to make critical decisions and often made them incorrectly. His arrogance cost the university greatly in his final days, and toward the end he seemed to be doubling down with every move or inaction, which is inexcusable.

In short, I like him and give him the credit he’s owed for what he did right. But business is business, and if he’s going to take credit for the up’s, he also has to be held accountable for the down’s he caused.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Not going to read the entire thread. But like most cases, there has to be some balance.

He's a decent guy who is on a first name basis with several in my family, and has done some personal favors for me. So for that I’m grateful. But he was also paid very well to make critical decisions and often made them incorrectly. His arrogance cost the university greatly in his final days, and toward the end he seemed to be doubling down with every move or inaction, which is inexcusable.

In short, I like him and give him the credit he’s owed for what he did right. But business is business, and if he’s going to take credit for the up’s, he also has to be held accountable for the down’s he caused.
Counterpoint: He's a fuking sh*thead.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps you mean Vince??

Either way who gives a shyt? As for my thoughts, my almost 20 year old screen name says it all!!!!!!
thanks, I was thinking that and somehow Jim appeared. But yes, Vince McMahon.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Exactly what I might have said without the personal content. Sure his last football hire was a massive dud, especially the extension and buy out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator