The Emory Jones Thread

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Which incoming freshmen QBs could make an impact in 2018?

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...top-15-impact-true-freshmen-quarterbacks-2018

Emory Jones, Florida

florida-gators.png
New coach Dan Mullen is one of the SEC’s top minds on offense. Florida has struggled to find answers on this side of the ball in recent years, but help is on the way with Mullen at the controls. Additionally, Jones should be an impact addition from the 2018 signing class. The Georgia native was considered a four-star recruit by the 247Sports Composite and ranked as the No. 9 quarterback. Jones’ dual-threat ability is a good fit for Mullen’s scheme, and he enrolled in time to participate in spring ball.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
What an absolute shame to have those kind of measurables and not progress. It wasn't the throwing motion either. There've been far worse who made a career of it. No, it was upstairs.

If by upstairs you mean the ability to rapidly process information in real time I would agree with you. I believe that for him to have success he would require a specialized offense which many teams were not willing to commit to. I also think his ability to hit small windows was suspect. Having many opposed to his fame and charity is another factor. I would want him on my team just for his impact on the team and the community. But that is me, not an NFL owner.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I know that certain of our most talented might not be best used as full-fledged QB. Why not?? By that I mean I don't think we have any data that proves E.Jones would perform better as dual-threat QB than K.Toney.??
I'd like to see our spring practices pit Toney against all-comers as full fledged QB leader. Allow him full opportunity to win that position of "most often to touch the ball & most often to lead others, most often to force defenses into mistake-decisions." Give the best development to the player that develops best.
2017-03-12-Franks-vs.-Toney-High-School-Stats_rtxe7y.jpg

#1 is Franks ... #2 is Toney.

I can't give Emory Jones H.S. stats. They're not findable in the usual way. They are hidden from us.??

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know that certain of our most talented might not be best used as full-fledged QB. Why not?? By that I mean I don't think we have any data that proves E.Jones would perform better as dual-threat QB than K.Toney.??
I'd like to see our spring practices pit Toney against all-comers as full fledged QB leader. Allow him full opportunity to win that position of "most often to touch the ball & most often to lead others, most often to force defenses into mistake-decisions." Give the best development to the player that develops best.
2017-03-12-Franks-vs.-Toney-High-School-Stats_rtxe7y.jpg

#1 is Franks ... #2 is Toney.

I can't give Emory Jones H.S. stats. They're not findable in the usual way. They are hidden from us.??

Rog, here's the article that snip (stats) you posted came from (Will Miles most recent article). Good read...but not very encouraging for anyone expecting Jones to play...and play well (cut and pasted the first part of the article):

What the first three games of 2018 will tell us about new Gators QB Emory Jones

https://www.readandreaction.com/201...-2018-will-tell-us-new-gators-qb-emory-jones/

Measuring true freshman QB performance of recruits ranked 50-100 nationally
To examine this, I looked at QBs ranked between 50 and 100 in the 247Sports composite from 2007 to 2017. I chose these limits because Jones’ national ranking of 85 falls well within that bin, and it encompasses players who are not considered “can’t miss” prospects but who are expected to be very good players.

The data is not altogether encouraging. The chart below shows the average stats for the 37 players who fit in this category as freshmen, their first playing time, their first major playing time and their careers.

2018-02-21-50-100-recruits-QB-performance.jpg

Performance of QBs ranked 50-100 in the 247Sports composite from 2007-2017. (Will Miles/Read and Reaction)

Only 41 percent of the players examined in this study actually played their true freshman seasons. Of those, only seven threw more than 100 passes that season. Those players weren’t any better than the players who had spot duty, averaging a QB rating of 122.2 vs. 122.4.

There are familiar names on the list of players who started as true freshman (Teddy Bridgewater, Tyler Bray, Jake Browning, Jake Heaps and Drew Lock). There are also some less familiar names as well (Rob Bolden, Jake Bostick).

The best true freshman season performance belonged to Bray, who started the season on the bench and got limited duty in losses to Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina before being handed the reigns in the ninth game against Memphis. Bray proceeded to average 309 yards passing per game with a completion percentage of 56 percent.

The worst season performance belonged to Lock, who completed just 49 percent of his passes with 4 TD and 8 INT. That was good for a QB rating of 90.5. Lock has improved considerably in his sophomore and junior seasons, but his performance is the floor for players of this pedigree in their true freshman season.

The concerning thing for me is that the averages shown in the chart indicate that on average players ranked between 50-100 nationally are just average. In 2016, Gators QB Austin Appleby produced a QB rating of 128.0, and that’s pretty much what the stats say is the average performance we should expect from a true freshman starter, but also from the average career for one of these players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator