The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Utah

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And let's not forget how we slow played the portal. We were waiting for these guys to send in their film or some **** lol. What did we expect?

Just realized this morning that this TD catch, possibly best of the day, was former Gator commit Jayden Gibson that the staff inexplicably refused to call(only text, which was confirmed). Even after reaffirming his commitment, he eventually tired of being ignored and being asked for tape as Top-100 player. Wonder where YLGator is to tell me how that was the smart move? After watching our game, highlights of others including STs being very emphasized, and specific individual performances, I swear college football as a whole got together to see how badly they could embarrass Florida football this weekend.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Legit Question for those who have coached in a program or have been privy to how this works:

Do ADs have weekly meeting with the HBC? One-on-one, closed door for general 'lessons learned', 'after action reports', program direction, who's doing their job--who is not, "what can we do to help make your job easier", etc.? Or, is this a once per year thing, never at all...hands off until someone taps coach on shoulder and says "clear out your desk and turn in your key"?

How does this work? And, if there's a meeting of this sort after the Utah game and you're the AD, what do you say?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We can’t all be hysterical little girls. Looking forward to beating UT in two weeks.

If that scathing article a few weeks back taught us anything it’s that just because someone changes one aspect of things and deserves praise for it, if they stubbornly persist in another area with the same field results, it’s really no different. Mullen did some good things to correct Jim McElwain‘s issues, but still ultimately didn’t care. McElwain had done something similar after Muschamp, but also didn’t care. It’s all the same. Look at my post on page 2 of this tread and present a valid counter argument. You can’t. At this point, yes, Napier is solidifying himself alongside those names as a guy who’d rather watch the house burn down around him doing it his way than to simply not be a moron and do the obvious. There’s still time to put out the flames, but it either starts now or he becomes the latest “pick a date” discussion.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
And, if there's a meeting of this sort after the Utah game and you're the AD, what do you say?
"Every other team in the SEC either has a dedicated, on field, Special Teams Coordinator or has an on-field assistant (LB, RB) with gameday STC duties. You did well before with just an off field analyst but that hasn't worked here. Assign a coach as STC this week as a permanent role. In addition to his regular duities, his job is to make sure we dont have two of the same nimbers on field, to talk with the PR after fielding a punt inside the 10 so it doesnt happen a second time, to talk with the FG kicker after a miss to get his head straight and to talk to the punter after his shank. Also, his job is to pump these guys up and offer support "

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
His job is to make sure we dont have two of the same nimbers on field, to talk with the PR after fielding a punt inside the 10 so it doesnt happen a second time, to talk with the FG kicker after a miss to get his head straight and to talk to the punter after his shank. Also, his job is to pump these guys up and offer support "
There are extremes on the sideline. Crazy Muschump was one extreme. Billy seems to be on the other- calm, boring Billy. Is he confused? Is he like that during practice? Maybe he really doesn't know what's going on. Agree, he should be involved and should be coaching on the sidelines because at least it would appear he knows what just happened... and that it was not good. Maybe he just figures that if he does not saying anything, we wont realize it happened. He is a nice guy and appealing to recruits, but they will give up on him if he continues to appear mediocre and boring in-game.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
"Every other team.in the SEC either has a dedicated, on field, Special Teams Coordinator or has an on-field assistant (LB, RB) with gameday STC duties. You did well before with just an off field analyst but that hasn't worked here." Assign a coach as STC this week. His job is to make sure we dont have two of the same nimbers on field, to talk with the PR after fielding a punt inside the 10 so it doesnt happen a second time, to talk with the FG kicker after a miss to get his head straight and to talk to the punter after his shank. Also, his job is to pump these guys up and offer support "

Dude, we lost the Vu game in large part because of STs blunders by Henderson and he was asked directly about afterwards. He defiantly said this had worked before and he was sticking with it. He isn’t changing, and even if he did miraculously do so, it wouldn’t be until the end of the year. One more cluster game won’t move the needle with him.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is absolutely false. The scheme and play calling is too vanilla and easy to defend. It is a major problem we're going to have. And we've seen plenty of stats and metrics to rpove that over the last few days. Sell out to stop the run and we're toast. We may have averaged 30 a game last but if we didn't have a world class athlete at Florida, we're giving up 5 sacks a game as we did Thursday. I do agree that it's not a talent issue but his offense is what we thought it was when we hired him. And without wholesale changes to how his staff is assembled on that side of the ball, he's not going to survive here.
You can’t have penalties like we did in the red zone and expect to score. You can’t have a safety Fuch up and give up a 70 yd TD, while taking out a CB who would’ve made a tackle. You can’t Fuch up a 3rd down stop by an equipment violation.

That last one ended up in a Itsh TD. Without that. We’re driving on our last drive down 11-17. That’s good enough to win.

Your #1 WR unable to catch a quick slant that ended in an interception is not scheme.

We should’ve had 20+ points in that game, without a running presence. That would’ve been good enough to win.

No one said the scheme was designed to give you Spurrier numbers. The other thing no one is talking about is less possessions per game this year.

And Fuch AR. He only really ran to escape being tackled. Otherwise he was throwing a 5 yd hitch into the dirt.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
UTs defense is nowhere near as good as Utahs defense. I think we will be able to move the ball against them and score often if we can keep from shooting our own feet
Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You can’t have penalties like we did in the red zone and expect to score. You can’t have a safety Fuch up and give up a 70 yd TD, while taking out a CB who would’ve made a tackle. You can’t Fuch up a 3rd down stop by an equipment violation.

That last one ended up in a Itsh TD. Without that. We’re driving on our last drive down 11-17. That’s good enough to win.

Your #1 WR unable to catch a quick slant that ended in an interception is not scheme.

We should’ve had 20+ points in that game, without a running presence. That would’ve been good enough to win.

No one said the scheme was designed to give you Spurrier numbers. The other thing no one is talking about is less possessions per game this year.

And Fuch AR. He only really ran to escape being tackled. Otherwise he was throwing a 5 yd hitch into the dirt.
I'm not saying we don't have other issues. I think you might have misunderstood me. I don't think anyone expected spurrier numbers.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
UTs defense is nowhere near as good as Utahs defense. I think we will be able to move the ball against them and score often if we can keep from shooting our own feet
Tennessee is a match up nightmare for us

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Good lord. It's like you think the litany of horrific plays all happened in a vacuum and were just sheer bad luck. Darn right you can't keep getting penalized in the red zone if you want to score, so let me guess, we should just stop that and everything is good right? 2 guys with the same number is just bad luck, nothing more to it, just don't screw that up anymore either, right? That slant was thrown to the wrong shoulder and too early but that's a simple fix too. Just throw it on time and to the proper location, and just catch it right?

Let's just completely ignore the fact that we saw the same type of embarrassing plays throughout last year, that things like the same numbers on the field points to bigger issues and lack of attention to critical details, and that the reason for that poorly thrown and early missed slant was that our line can't block for squat. But I'm totally with you. We just stop all the penalties, block like an SEC line, make the safeties cover and track the ball correctly, etc and everything will be perfect. Very simple really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator