The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Utah

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
No one expects that or wants that. No one wants to see a raging damned lunatic on the sidelines.

It would be nice to see a meltdown like Mac had on Taylor after his antics after scoring.
Perhaps get in the grill of one of the number 3's that fielded another punt inside the damn 5 yard line?
Getting in the faces of the O Lineman on the sidelines or chewing the shiit out of one of the o lineman coaches, would at least show he's had enough of the incompetence.

Or maybe one of those "hurry up" motions when down two scores and 7 minutes to play knowing? the clock doesn't stop for a first down.
Hell, I would be satisfied with him making a beeline to an assistant coach and giving him a stern talking to after repeated mistakes by the assistant's unit.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Can he act like a coach who’s down 13 points(not up 13) inside the final 6 minutes of a game? For all the analytics talk, you’d think someone would mention that on-side kicks are about the lowest probability play in football. Any risks of mistakes you may run going with more of a tempo approach while attempting a comeback, are far less than having to rely on an on-side kick.

You could also try not being down double digits in the second half of every game, but let’s just start small for now.
I agree with everything you say. For a guy that is supposed to be so detailed, we seem clueless on what to do far too often.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Very good point. To me it speaks indirectly to the need for an OC/play caller. I get that Billy wants to be controlled and very systematic and if you’ve got the OL that can move the furniture it is understandable, but we’re not blessed, yet, with that kind of OL and the need to go up-tempo will be a part of every game, particularly when we are ending the halves offensively, are behind the score and the clock, if we have a sudden change and the opposing D is sucking wind, etc.
Herbstreit commented during a first half drive that he likes that we were lining up and playing tempo. Then, we seemed to lose that urgency. Just reading into it, perhaps Napier and his staff are slow to decide which play to run. Why allow a defense to get set and ready?

The motion. Oh gosh, the motion... SMH

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Those of you who keep expecting Napier to act like Muschamp on the sideline are going to continue to be disappointed.
If you were a recruit wouldn't you want to see a guy that's actively coaching? There is a photo Kirby gliding through the air, elevated by excitement and emotion. Napier?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
are you sure canadian GIF by CBC
Man, all I can see in this gif is a young Lt at the bordello in Munich, grading the “hostesses” until he finds Miss Right for the Night!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I agree with everything you say. For a guy that is supposed to be so detailed, we seem clueless on what to do far too often.

Despite my frustrations, I’ve been on record saying I have not wanted a coach to succeed here this badly since Meyer. I really want to believe we’ve landed our guy. But it’s disturbing, and typically when the area you’re supposedly renowned for is struggling, it may be a sign that you’re overwhelmed elsewhere leading to the neglect of your core strength. In short, in over your head.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
CBN has said multiple times he grew up watching coaches coach and that he respects the coaching profession. As such, you will probably never see him disrespect another player or coach, publicly. But he will likely run said player to death on Sunday and/or admonish said coach in the office.

Personally, I don't want my HBC to be maniacal and would prefer my asst coaches to be so. Would I like to see CBN be more engaged or vocal? Yes.
But as the GameDay OC, he doesn't have the time to do so. If he would hire an OC then I think we all would see a different GameDay personality that is closer to what we all want.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just the feeling that the staff thinks the players are there for them…that it’s their coaching that is the most important and the players need to adapt to their game plan regardless of their capabilities.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You mom insisted on a night cap and it makes the chore easier at times.............
Anyone else might rush to defend their mama's honor, but since it's you and you specifically used the word chore, it was just assumed you meant you mowed her lawn.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Very good point. To me it speaks indirectly to the need for an OC/play caller. I get that Billy wants to be controlled and very systematic and if you’ve got the OL that can move the furniture it is understandable, but we’re not blessed, yet, with that kind of OL and the need to go up-tempo will be a part of every game, particularly when we are ending the halves offensively, are behind the score and the clock, if we have a sudden change and the opposing D is sucking wind, etc.
Also, with the new running-clock rule, the two-minute offense is a thing of the past. Now it needs to be a six-minute or eight-minute offense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are nuts if you actually think I was anything but appalled and pissed about that game.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The defense was improved, those saying it wasn't are being ridiculous. However, the defense was so bad the last two years that saying it's improved isn't really saying much.

I know it's hard to buck the narrative, but it is possible to say something positive about the Gators and not burst into flames.

The tackling definitely looked better and they looked stingy against the run. Got very little pressure in passing situations was concerning though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator