The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Utah

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The tackling definitely looked better and they looked stingy against the run. Got very little pressure in passing situations was concerning though.
They're young as a unit. They did affect the QB more than I've seen.in years. They will get better/stronger as the season progresses.
They also played under control... rather than rushing like madmen then wiffing.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
I have watched games all day with coaches that actually mange the game, know how and when to use timeouts, and have their players actually not making drive destroying penalties over and over. It’s pathetic to see how easy it is. They all have Special Team coaches and Offensive Coordinator’s to help them do this. Napier’s refusal to hire these 2 positions has hurt our program immensely, and Thursday night was all the proof I need that he is just another stubborn, ego-fueled coach that puts his pride before his team. After reading that Mullen’s ego was behind his doing everything we thought he was by keeping Grantham, starting Franks and Jones over obviously better back ups, and dividing the team by rewarding Marco Wilson’s season ruining shoe throwing PF against LSU, I have no patience for this kind of BS. We should have fired Mullen after that season and If Billy doesn’t start producing better game management and play calling on Gameday then he needs to go sooner rather than later. If Stricklin allows this mediocre performance for the rest of the year then fire his ass too. No recruit or family member of that recruit would want their kid playing for a guy who can’t get game day right no matter how talented the team is so anyone saying keeping Billy will save the class is out to lunch IMO. I’m hoping Billy can somehow prove me wrong or hire people he needs to to make him better on game days. After watching coaches do this all day, coaches we would never have considered for this job a year ago, I’m not optimistic and actually getting more and more pissed about it every time I see a Head Coach call a TO to save his QB from letting the play clock run out on a third down in the red zone, or doesn’t send out 2 players wearing the same number on a critical 4th down play. The Ugly is right C2, and I don’t see it getting any prettier anytime soon..

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I get ALL of this anger and frustration and agree with most of it. But if we fire this coach for X in year 1.2 then we surely continue our decades long suck.
No coach is a proven home run hire.
CBN gets this year and based on how it goes, next year too.
I also think he'll either realize he can't handle OC duties or will be told he can't.
As of now, I'm embarrassed and disgusted with the continued mediocre state of Gator football but if we have to go through yet another coaching change then...
well, I don't even know. But I know that wouldn't guarantee we get any better than where we are.
Let's just say it's frustrating.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I get ALL of this anger and frustration and agree with most of it. But if we fire this coach for X in year 1.2 then we surely continue our decades long suck.
No coach is a proven home run hire.
CBN gets this year and based on how it goes, next year too.
I also think he'll either realize he can't handle OC duties or will be told he can't.
As of now, I'm embarrassed and disgusted with the continued mediocre state of Gator football but if we have to go through yet another coaching change then...
well, I don't even know. But I know that wouldn't guarantee we get any better than where we are.
Let's just say it's frustrating.
Going through another coaching change is not good, but dragging out the obvious bad results before the inevitable just delays the inevitable.

And for those that ask who would take the job if we fire a coach in such a short term...I say that there are no shortage of coaches that would take this job assuming they could make it work. And some can.

I don't think CBN is getting fired this year, but it will happen in the following year or two because for all he does behind the scenes, he can't actually coach a game at the level required here.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I know we need another year or 2 of better recruits, but the mental errors by the players are a bad look for the coaches. I'm pulling for Billy, but he's making it hard to keep much optimism. Improve over the course of the season and he might recover.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I know we need another year or 2 of better recruits, but the mental errors by the players are a bad look for the coaches. I'm pulling for Billy, but he's making it hard to keep much optimism. Improve over the course of the season and he might recover.

I wish to share your optimism, but your time frame of patience, in modern college football is unrealistic.

The mental errors were committed by players this coach brought in. The bad play calls are all from the head coach. The hubris to not have a special teams coordinator or play caller on the staff are absolutely on the head coach.

This coach succeeded in improvement at a lower level by out recruiting and organizing his opponents. He will NEVER do that at this level because the opponents are willing to go farther than our administration will allow in recruiting (and Texas and Oklahoma are coming in next year...and they have never had any restrictions like UF has self-imposed) and they are just as organized.

If our coaching can't be a positive difference maker on game day, and it has so far shown to be a negative, this is not going to work out short or long term.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I wish to share your optimism, but your time frame of patience, in modern college football is unrealistic.

The mental errors were committed by players this coach brought in. The bad play calls are all from the head coach. The hubris to not have a special teams coordinator or play caller on the staff are absolutely on the head coach.

This coach succeeded in improvement at a lower level by out recruiting and organizing his opponents. He will NEVER do that at this level because the opponents are willing to go farther than our administration will allow in recruiting (and Texas and Oklahoma are coming in next year...and they have never had any restrictions like UF has self-imposed) and they are just as organized.

If our coaching can't be a positive difference maker on game day, and it has so far shown to be a negative, this is not going to work out short or long term.

And the further we drift away from good, the harder it will be to ever return. As you pointed out, these are choices made by Napier himself, no one else. If he corrects them, like almost immediately, before things get even worse, then so be it. If he persists, despite the evidence, then again he’s no better than Muschamp, McElwain or Mullen in that he doesn’t ultimately care about the success of UF football and is simply collecting a check.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After a couple days, I'll add the following.

We aren't that bad. What caused that loss was neither talent nor scheme. It was penalties and lack of discipline, which can be fixed. Question is...will it. This is where Billy will have to earn his money. If things get fixed, we can still finish 7-5 or better. If they don't, you have to fire some coaches/staff and make other changes.

I don't think a new OC is absolutely necessary. We averaged 30pts last year and we probably should've had something close this week. We were in the redzone four times and left with 11 pts. And that's not counting that we were knocking on the door in our last possession at the Utah 26. We reasonably should've had at least 20pts with a chance to win the game on the final drive or better. HOWEVER, just because it's not necessary at this point, doesn't mean we shouldn't, especially given the tradeoff.

We are sacrificing an OC in order to have two OL coaches. So far, money not well spent. Hopefully they can gel and become a strength, but George is just not good at OT.

Personally, I think we should also put numbers 0-99 in play. One number per player. I get that some staff member was supposed to track that error, but the kid had a responsibility too. And yes, get a real Special Teams Coordinator.

We really aren't that far off from playing good, but the coaches have to earn their money or hit the road.

And keep in mind, these transfers are transfers for a reason. Unless you find someone from a lower tier school trying to step up, you're going to get P5 trash.

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

We aren't that bad. What caused that loss was neither talent nor scheme. It was penalties and lack of discipline, which can be fixed. Question is...will it. This is where Billy will have to earn his money. If things get fixed, we can still finish 7-5 or better. If they don't, you have to fire some coaches/staff and make other changes.

I don't think a new OC is absolutely necessary. We averaged 30pts last year and we probably should've had something close this week. We were in the redzone four times and left with 11 pts. And that's not counting that we were knocking on the door in our last possession at the Utah 26. We reasonably should've had at least 20pts with a chance to win the game on the final drive or better. HOWEVER, just because it's not necessary at this point, doesn't mean we shouldn't, especially given the tradeoff.

We are sacrificing an OC in order to have two OL coaches. So far, money not well spent. Hopefully they can gel and become a strength, but George is just not good at OT.

Personally, I think we should also put numbers 0-99 in play. One number per player. I get that some staff member was supposed to track that error, but the kid had a responsibility too. And yes, get a real Special Teams Coordinator.

We really aren't that far off from playing good, but the coaches have to earn their money or hit the road.

And keep in mind, these transfers are transfers for a reason. Unless you find someone from a lower tier school trying to step up, you're going to get P5 trash.

I want to break this all down, but I am heading to bed. But, I don't disagree on talent, but scheme and discipline are neither correct.

This offensive scheme will never work in modern college football. It is archaic. It will only work with an absolutely dominate defense, which is also not possible with our current talent or our current scheme.

And discipline is not something that gets significantly better over the course of a season...it is an off season focus...mostly an attention to detail and personnel decisions which are primarily made by the beginning of the season.

Good night.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I want to break this all down, but I am heading to bed. But, I don't disagree on talent, but scheme and discipline are neither correct.

This offensive scheme will never work in modern college football. It is archaic. It will only work with an absolutely dominate defense, which is also not possible with our current talent or our current scheme.

And discipline is not something that gets significantly better over the course of a season...it is an off season focus...mostly an attention to detail and personnel decisions which are primarily made by the beginning of the season.

Good night.
whole heartedly disagree. The scheme could've beat Utah if not for the errors.

Also, discipline can improve. George your fuched up, out of the game. next man up. It doesn't improve if there is no accountability. You add accountability and it will change quickly.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don't think a new OC is absolutely necessary. We averaged 30pts last year and we probably should've had something close this week. We were in the redzone and left with 11 pts. And that's not counting that we were knocking on the door in our last possession at the Utah 26. We reasonably should've had at least 20pts with a chance to win the game on the final drive or better. HOWEVER, just because it's not necessary at this point, doesn't mean we shouldn't, especially given the tradeoff.

Personally, I think we should also put numbers 0-99 in play. One number per jersey. I get that some staff member was supposed to track that error, but the kid had a responsibility too. And yes, get a real Special Teams Coordinator.

That last part is probably my biggest issue. I have no problem sending off old, questionable players who you don’t like. But simply replacing them with someone else’s cast-offs is just change for the sake of change. Take Wilcoxson and/or McMillion for example. Is there any concrete reason to think Moten is a decided upgrade over him? I was never a fan of Black personally, but he made one of the most impressive plays of all 2022 last year. Have we seen his scholarship slot definitively upgraded? And I was certainly no Brenton Cox fan and believed we were better off when he was booted. But reality is, even taking the bowl game out of the equation, we’re 2-3 since his dismissal, and averaging 26 points given up to opponents since vs 30 before. Have we actually gained in any of these trade offs? I honestly think the portal is as dangerous for coaches as it is for players in that we’re fooling ourselves into thinking we’re automatically upgrading when we’re not.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
whole heartedly disagree. The scheme could've beat Utah if not for the errors.

Also, discipline can improve. George your fuched up, out of the game. next man up. It doesn't improve if there is no accountability. You add accountability and it will change quickly.
Agree to disagree on the scheme.

As for removing players who fuch up ..I give you last year. There was no excuse in several games not to replace players that screwed up and it didn't happen. This staff is no different than any other...they play their faves regardless because they "saw something" in practice. It was one of the greatest quality Spurrier...his willingness to yank someone if they screwed up and give someone else a chance to do better OR to admit it was his fault for keeping a screw up in the game.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
That last part is probably my biggest issue. I have no problem sending off old, questionable players who you don’t like. But simply replacing them with someone else’s cast-offs is just change for the sake of change. Take Wilcoxson and/or McMillion for example. Is there any concrete reason to think Moten is a decided upgrade over him? I was never a fan of Black personally, but he made one of the most impressive plays of all 2022 last year. Have we seen his scholarship slot definitively upgraded? And I was certainly no Brenton Cox fan and believed we were better off when he was booted. But reality is, even taking the bowl game out of the equation, we’re 2-3 since his dismissal, and averaging 26 points given up to opponents since vs 30 before. Have we actually gained in any of these trade offs? I honestly think the portal is as dangerous for coaches as it is for players in that we’re fooling ourselves into thinking we’re automatically upgrading when we’re not.
The question is whether that is a problem or a feature.

I have to agree that getting rid of disruptive team members can be a positive.

And you are correct...did those disruptive team members get replaced with better teammates that are not as productive?

This is why I am a board poster and critic and not a professional coach! I don't envy the difficulty or time requirements of their job, but I also don't get their pay and benefits.

DMVGator

Aug 15, 2018
Keep seeing talk about the defense being improved, and maybe it will be, but I’m not buying it right now.

Utah got out to a big lead and sat on it, knowing we couldn’t get out of our own way on offense. On top of that, they missed two wide open, walk in touchdowns, one on the halfback pass and the other on a 3rd down with a WR running free who flat dropped it.

Oh, and it was against their 3rd string QB who we got 0 pressure and 0 sacks against.

I am interested to see how the defense looks vs Tennessee. That will tell us a lot more.

Spoiler: our defense will look horrendous against Tinerc

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On Cox, he was a cancer and attacked his own teammates.

Not sure why the other guys were jettisoned. But it sure seems like we had guys as good or better than Moten. Then again maybe they weren’t pushed out.

Think about White. Can’t imagine we pushed him out. Unfortunately he really put himself in a bind.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

We aren't that bad. What caused that loss was neither talent nor scheme.
This is absolutely false. The scheme and play calling is too vanilla and easy to defend. It is a major problem we're going to have. And we've seen plenty of stats and metrics to rpove that over the last few days. Sell out to stop the run and we're toast. We may have averaged 30 a game last but if we didn't have a world class athlete at qb we're giving up 5 sacks a game as we did Thursday. I do agree that it's not a talent issue but his offense is what we thought it was when we hired him. And without wholesale changes to how his staff is assembled on that side of the ball, he's not going to survive here.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And let's not forget how we slow played the portal. We were waiting for these guys to send in their film or some **** lol. What did we expect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator