The Last Dance: 1997-98 Bulls

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Fock Thomas. He is a turd and deserved it. He spread rumors about magic after he left due to aids. He said Larry bird would be regarded as average if he was black. Thomas was pretty petty himself.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fock Thomas. He is a turd and deserved it. He spread rumors about magic after he left due to aids. He said Larry bird would be regarded as average if he was black. Thomas was pretty petty himself.

I agree

As I said, I wasn’t defending them just thought it was interesting that a superstar could be so childish. He should have simply said what you did “Fock Thomas “ and left it at that

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The MJ-Isiah feud goes back further than the ‘91 Eastern Finals. Thomas led a freeze-out of Jordan at the ‘85 All-Star Game, his rookie year in the league, igniting the bad blood, a circumstance later corroborated by a few of MJ’s teammates.

Thomas, too, had a legendary high school career in Chicago and didn’t take well to having his place atop the hometown mantel being knocked off by the young upstart Jordan.

Petty jealousness knows both sides of the story.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Ox, you can PM me if you'd like about several of the meets I was fortunate to have with MJ, as well as Doug Collins.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
So, here’s a good one:

I was filing some paperwork at the Palm Beach County clerks office, when I notice Jordan is filing paperwork in front of me. I snap a photo, and think nothing of it (other than I just saw Michael F’ing Jordan)

Later in the day, I realized he was applying for a marriage certificate.

So, I sold my photo to TMZ. Can’t tell you for how much cause I signed a confidentiality agreement, but it was easily in the thousands.

My photo, and the one on TMZ.com is below. It was such a fun day. I even spoke with the head of TMZ to negotiate the price. Surprisingly, a nice guy: went to Miami Law School.

Did I intrude in Jordan’s life, yes. Does he intrude in mine, when I’m trying to watch a game and we have to cut away for one of his ads, yes.

We’re even.

Michael Jordan Going for ANOTHER Ring ... Applies for Marriage Certificate

I just see the back of somebody’s head. Where’s the real proof?

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Stop being racist by assuming any balding tall older black guy is Michael Jordan :)

Can't believe TMZ paid for the back of his head.
Paid more than I thought I’d get.

Funny thing is I was checking out his girl’s butt, that I didn’t know MJ was standing next to her, until my buddy pointed him out to me.

it was such a nice booty that I didn’t even notice Michael F’ing Jordan standing right next to it.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am really enjoying this documentary and I am looking forward to parts 5 and 6 tonight.

There is one thing we have seen so far that I must comment on.
We all know, and the documentary has validated, how competitive MJ was/is and how it made him great.
However, I had forgotten how petty and childish he could be but I was reminded when they revisited the controversy over the "no handshake." I am not saying that I agreed with what the Pistons did but a little perspective would have been productive.

First, whether MJ wants to admit it or not, the Pistons did in fact do exactly what the Celtics did three years prior. In both instances the team "passing the baton" walked off the court before the game was over without congratulating the winners. What Thomas said about McHale being stopped as he left the court was exactly the truth. All of the other starters had already left. Where do you think the Pistons got the idea?

Second, MJ's comparison to when he congratulated the Pistons after prior losses does not hold water at all because the situation was different. When MJ congratulated the Pistons he was not "passing the baton." That is, the Bulls had not won anything yet.

Third, we have no way to compare how MJ would have handled the same situation because he bailed before he had to find out what it was like to face the end of your dominance. Nothing wrong with going out on top but understanding what it was like probably would have given him some perspective.

Regardless of whether you agree with me or not, for MJ to keep Thomas off the Dream Team because of the handshake slight may be THE most petty and vindictive thing to occur in NBA history. I am embarrassed for MJ because I shudder to think what it must be like to feel the need to use your influence to severely punish someone for such a small indiscretion. Ego can be a dangerous weapon sometimes.

Except the Celtics did it because the Pistons were punks not as some show of respect. Keep watching the clip of the Celtics and they started jawing and about ready to fight. The Pistons were the prototypical bully that when beaten they cowered and ran away. Look at Thomas as he ducked his head and hid as he past the Bulls bench. **** the Pistons

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
This documentary has shown me just how much Jordan benefitted from officials catering to him. Calling B.S. fouls on his opponents, letting him get away with murder, hacking people, pushing off on nearly every shot. Just proves the NBA is rigged.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This documentary has shown me just how much Jordan benefitted from officials catering to him. Calling B.S. fouls on his opponents, letting him get away with murder, hacking people, pushing off on nearly every shot. Just proves the NBA is rigged.
Yup, Jordan was really a sub-par player that got lucky for two decades. Honestly, he sucked. If he was drafted today he'd be fortunate to make a team.

On a serious note, GIG I want you to name a single superstar in the history of the NBA who didn't get calls. Those guys are the NBA meal tickets, they always get the calls. Kareem, Erving, Magic, Bird, Lebron, etc.

Jordan only fouled out 10 times in his career, 4 in his rookie season. You CAN'T foul those guys out, or it could cause fan rioting.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Did you miss the episodes about the Pistons series?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Except the Celtics did it because the Pistons were punks not as some show of respect. Keep watching the clip of the Celtics and they started jawing and about ready to fight. The Pistons were the prototypical bully that when beaten they cowered and ran away. Look at Thomas as he ducked his head and hid as he past the Bulls bench. **** the Pistons

The Pistons stepped up the physical part somewhat from the style the Celtics always played.
Perception drives many things and the Celtics always got the benefit of the doubt because they were more “popular “ for obvious reasons.

The Bulls stepped up the physical part of the game to overcome the Pistons just as the Pistons did to overcome the Celtics.

I am not defending their style of play, I am simply trying to ensure that we stop revising history to pretend that the NBA played a pantywaists style, like today, before the Pistons. The Celtics used to play a brutal style long before the Pistons but they were popular with the media so it was okay.

One last point regarding perception.
When Rodman played for Detroit he was a dirty player.
When he took the exact same style to Chicago he was an aggressive player.

Hmmmm....... I wonder what changed?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yup, Jordan was really a sub-par player that got lucky for two decades. Honestly, he sucked. If he was drafted today he'd be fortunate to make a team.

On a serious note, GIG I want you to name a single superstar in the history of the NBA who didn't get calls. Those guys are the NBA meal tickets, they always get the calls. Kareem, Erving, Magic, Bird, Lebron, etc.

Jordan only fouled out 10 times in his career, 4 in his rookie season. You CAN'T foul those guys out, or it could cause fan rioting.

Why would I do that when I can spend that time doing some good old fashioned :stirpot: & trolling.

:lol:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Pistons stepped up the physical part somewhat from the style the Celtics always played.
Perception drives many things and the Celtics always got the benefit of the doubt because they were more “popular “ for obvious reasons.

The Bulls stepped up the physical part of the game to overcome the Pistons just as the Pistons did to overcome the Celtics.

I am not defending their style of play, I am simply trying to ensure that we stop revising history to pretend that the NBA played a pantywaists style, like today, before the Pistons. The Celtics used to play a brutal style long before the Pistons but they were popular with the media so it was okay.

One last point regarding perception.
When Rodman played for Detroit he was a dirty player.
When he took the exact same style to Chicago he was an aggressive player.

Hmmmm....... I wonder what changed?
I'm trying to break down this disaster of a post. Sure, the NBA was physical before the Pistons, but they took it to a level that had never been approached, and never will again. Their style was TEN TIMES as brutal as Boston. Hell, the "Jordan Rules" they came up with involved literally knocking him to the floor if he came inside. It was a policy. If that had been Boston's policy, you think MJ would have scored 63 on them in the playoffs in '85?

Rodman also wasn't nearly as brutal as he was with the Bulls later in his career. Not even close.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
I really enjoy watching the Last Dance series especially now in our sports wasteland. Back in the day the Celtics were my boys and Bird the man. After the sun set on their glory days I became a fan of the Bulls. Nice timing right. The series highlights what I loved about Jordon. Old school and hard core about winning and not liking his opponents. No hugging or grab ass after games. Wish we had that now.

Anyway my favorite MJ story was 1992 in the old Miami Arena, Bulls-Heat game 3 of the Heat's first playoff series.

My company at the time was a founding sponsor of the Heat and we had playoff seats on the floor. Jordon went over the back of Glen Rice to get a rebound and it looked like a foul to me. I yelled at the official that he mugged him, and then said to Jordan as he ran past "hey Michael did you get his wallet too"? Jordon of course scored at the other end and made a point to trot by my seat on the floor , looked right at me , winked, and said "yeah I got his wallet".
Naturally Michael had a decent game:) and dropped 56 on the Heat that night to clinch the series sweep. He was ,and still is for me the best that I have ever seen play the game.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I really enjoy watching the Last Dance series especially now in our sports wasteland. Back in the day the Celtics were my boys and Bird the man. After the sun set on their glory days I became a fan of the Bulls. Nice timing right. The series highlights what I loved about Jordon. Old school and hard core about winning and not liking his opponents. No hugging or grab ass after games. Wish we had that now.

Anyway my favorite MJ story was 1992 in the old Miami Arena, Bulls-Heat game 3 of the Heat's first playoff series.

My company at the time was a founding sponsor of the Heat and we had playoff seats on the floor. Jordon went over the back of Glen Rice to get a rebound and it looked like a foul to me. I yelled at the official that he mugged him, and then said to Jordan as he ran past "hey Michael did you get his wallet too"? Jordon of course scored at the other end and made a point to trot by my seat on the floor , looked right at me , winked, and said "yeah I got his wallet".
Naturally Michael had a decent game:) and dropped 56 on the Heat that night to clinch the series sweep. He was ,and still is for me the best that I have ever seen play the game.

He was not only supremely talented but had the mentality of an assassin.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm trying to break down this disaster of a post. Sure, the NBA was physical before the Pistons, but they took it to a level that had never been approached, and never will again. Their style was TEN TIMES as brutal as Boston. Hell, the "Jordan Rules" they came up with involved literally knocking him to the floor if he came inside. It was a policy. If that had been Boston's policy, you think MJ would have scored 63 on them in the playoffs in '85?

Rodman also wasn't nearly as brutal as he was with the Bulls later in his career. Not even close.

So a differing opinion is a disaster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator