The National Signing Day Thread

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't want to start off his tenure with a moment that we can look back on and say that was his downfall years from now if we miss on him and never recover.

It’s a high school QB which are as hit or miss as they come. Can’t blame him if he wants to get HIS guy.

I personally hope Corral sticks, but I won’t be heartbroken if we went a different route depending on who we are able to snag.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Fields may not sign during early signing period. Won’t answr phone calls. Coach doesn’t know what he’s going to do. Only let one coach into his house since he committed...

If he doesn’t sign during early period look out...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Uhhh...Bama? Mich? A&M? USC? UCLA? You don't possibly believe that the only two colleges interested in him are us and Ole Miss, do you?
I do.

and I'm not convinced we're that interested in him

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Fair point. But, if I had the confidence that I believe Matt does, I would strongly believe that I can make a difference at whatever school I commit to right away. There is precedence for this now in today’s College Football. We saw Fromm do this as a Freshmen at UGA. Kids are coming in more and more prepared as Freshmen and teams can go from mediocre to first very quickly if they receive the right infusion of talent and coaching. I say all this because I think Corral believes he can come in and turn around a program like ours around immediately. He definitely has that kind of ability. I don’t know about you, but it would be a hard pill to swallow if I lead Ole Miss to an undefeated record, but still can’t play for anything meaningful at the end of the season.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
kids make crazy decisions that look wrong from the outside. Hell I can't figure out why Fields committed to a school loaded with QB's, one of which is a freshman that had a stellar year.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The coach at Ole Miss is in his first HC role. OC/OL coach his entire career. And they're on probation. They've already lost a couple of people to transfers and will probably lose more. That's too many variables.

Him taking an official there is a head scratcher. Maybe it's as simple as a paid trip for he and his parents to see the Ole Miss campus, no harm no foul.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The coach at Ole Miss is in his first HC role. OC/OL coach his entire career. And they're on probation. They've already lost a couple of people to transfers and will probably lose more. That's too many variables.

Him taking an official there is a head scratcher. Maybe it's as simple as a paid trip for he and his parents to see the Ole Miss campus, no harm no foul.
If he sees the Ole Miss coeds, it might be foul for us.

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017

Aren’t there more transfers pending?
Isn’t there a potential he has nobody to throw it too for a few years, not to mention who is going to protect him.

I guess they could limit their recruitment to those areas but really aren’t better options for the kid ?

I’m scratching my head on this.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Why Dan Mullen waited until Monday to visit Florida QB commit Matt Corral
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ountryUF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

First and foremost, Mullen is only allotted one in-home visit per recruit and has to be strategic with it. Rather than seeing all of his commits right away, many of whom have been solid, Mullen decided to spend his first two weeks on the road trying to expand Florida’s recruiting board and spark interest in new potential targets.

And yes, some of those recruiting trips were to evaluate other quarterbacks. But Mullen and UF assistant Billy Gonzales, who visited Corral at Long Beach Poly High School, continued to tell Corral he was their guy and they could build the offense around his skill set.

You don’t fly cross country and make those kind of comments to a recruit if he’s not a priority or you’re slow-playing him. I think Mullen waited until Monday because he wanted to have Corral’s position coach in place and also get one of his last in-home visits before he signs early.

The timing worked out perfectly for Mullen. By saving his trip for Monday, he was able to see Corral right after he came back from Ole Miss and got him thinking about the Gators before he returns for his official visit.

Corral and Mullen have both shopped around this month, but right now the two parties appear to be the best option for each other. If all goes well in Gainesville this weekend, that will likely seal the deal.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Maybe the bowl ban isn’t a factor for him, maybe it is. I will say that my gut tells me if Corral doesn’t end up in this class, it won’t be because he didn’t want to be at UF. He’s has been as big of a recruiter and cheerleader for the Gators than any recruit in recent memory. I have a hard time believing one visit to Ole Miss changed that this late in the process. Mullen runs a Spread Option offense, but he is not an idiot. If Corral proves to be an elite passer early on, we’re going to pass the ball quite a bit. He is probably more of a capable runner than Franks, so he will keep the defense honest with designed runs and read option plays every now and then, but that’s it. But, it’s laughable that there is a perception that a high level quarterback like Corral can’t be successful in Mullen’s offense

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Did you see ours?!? Corral could get hit by a bus, roll up to the first day of spring practice in a wheelchair and still beat out any of the bozos on UFs roster.

Last edited:

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017
Did you see ours?!? Corral could get hit by a bus, roll up to the first day of spring practice in a wheelchair and still beat out any of the bozos on UFs roster.

There were definitely people open that the wiener didn’t see or didn’t pull the trigger on in his starts.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You don’t fly cross country and make those kind of comments to a recruit if he’s not a priority or you’re slow-playing him.
:what2:

yeah what they did is pretty much the exact definition of slow playing a recruit.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's not rehash the BS about receivers running open all game. Total and utter BS.
there will always be receivers open if they know you won't throw anything but a screen pass anyway.

why would you bother covering them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.